The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Seeking Wisdom.

A few basic details. I ref FIBA rules/mechanics, 2-man officiating.
I have had a few questions for a while and thought this would be the best place to seek answers.

1) My partner and I have a double whistle in a shared area. They are on lead and take the call. They call a block, but I clearly saw an offensive elbow come before the contact they have called. How should I go about bringing this to their attention in a way which A) Maintains the integrity of the game, B) Doesn't suggest to the players that we disagree and C) preserves the relationship between officials (i.e. i dont want it to seem like i dont trust them). Is it better sometimes to just bury it for the sake of the game?

2) I have noticed several referees, particularly those in the NBA do not utilise a lanyard, they just use the whistle by itself. Is this common? Do you know why they prefer this style? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

3) Are their any unofficial signals that you use to communicate in game? For example, a signal to say 'we need to tighten this game up' or 'watch (some player) off ball' etc?

4) Finally, somewhat related to question 1, how should I go about coaches questions when i believe the other official has made an incorrect call? For examples, when the other official has called an obvious charge as a block or made a bad travel call, and the coach tries to question me as to why it was called. I dont know if I should be supporting my fellow ref, or if i should be honest and say "i didnt see it, you will need to ask him".

All responses and insight is greatly welcomed. Thankyou
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

1. This is very tough. Unless it's egregious, I'd leave it alone. If needed step in and take the call before the L (especially if you know what he has and you have something earlier). otherwise just go to him and discuss it. This might (depending on the rules set) lead to a double foul.

2. It's "cool." Not allowed in some areas / mechanics sets.

3. Yes.

4. He had a good look -- I'm sure he will be able to explain it to you when he's over here.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

1. If what you called was a different action that happened first, just say that. First foul is usually the right foul. It doesn't discredit his/her call at all for something else to have happened first. In some cases you maybe should just leave it alone, but I wouldn't say that you always should. I think you needed to decide if your partner saw what you saw and ruled differently or didn't see what you saw.