The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Travel

Someone please prove me wrong. Our chapter rules interp told me last night this wasn't a travel and I disagree whole heartedly. A1 has not used his dribble yet. A1 jumps in the air to shot a jump shot. While in air he realizes his shot will be blocked, so he dribbles before he comes back to the floor.

That imo would be an illegal dribble because he didn't release the ball before his pivot left the floor.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 11:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
Someone please prove me wrong. Our chapter rules interp told me last night this wasn't a travel and I disagree whole heartedly. A1 has not used his dribble yet. A1 jumps in the air to shot a jump shot. While in air he realizes his shot will be blocked, so he dribbles before he comes back to the floor.

That imo would be an illegal dribble because he didn't release the ball before his pivot left the floor.
You're right.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 01:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Either you misunderstood your rule interpreter, or you need a new rule interpreter.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, what they said.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

What rationale wad he using for his stance?
Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You know your rule book, just call it and ignore him...
Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Dropping the ball is not the violation. It's touching the ball first after releasing it which confirms that it was a dribble (and not a pass) and thus causes the violation.

Perhaps that was the point the interpreter was making and something got lost in translation of the play.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Dropping the ball is not the violation. It's touching the ball first after releasing it which confirms that it was a dribble (and not a pass) and thus causes the violation.

Perhaps that was the point the interpreter was making and something got lost in translation of the play.
I wish that were the case. Our rules interp know a a lot and trys hard to make us better. But when he doesn't know something he pretends he does and rarely admits he doesn't know.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Search the annual interps on this site. I seem to recall this play being in there.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 04:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Travel ...

Quote:
... would be an illegal dribble because he didn't release the ball before his pivot left the floor.
I believe that, if this was a violation, it would not be illegal dribble violation, but rather, a travel violation.

Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits
while holding the ball. The limits on foot movements are as follows: The pivot foot may not be lifted before the ball is released, to start a dribble.

Also, who's to say that this wasn't the start of a bounce pass?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 17, 2017 at 04:24pm.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2017, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone have an old case play of this?
Old Sun Jan 22, 2017, 04:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Easy to find and in the current books.

4.44.3 Situation A:

A1 jumps to try for goal. B1 also jumps and : (a) slaps the ball out of A1's hand; (b) touches the ball but does not prevent A1 from releasing the ball; (c) touches the ball and A1 returns to the floor holding the ball; or (d) touches the ball and A1 drops it to the floor and touches it after it bounces.

Ruling: In (a) and (b), the remaining live. In (c), a traveling violation. In (d), a violation for starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor. Since the touching did not prevent the pass or try in (b), (c) and (d) the ball remains live and subsequent action covered by rules which applied to the situation.

Peace