The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Travel (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102116-travel.html)

johnsonboys03 Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:47am

Travel

Someone please prove me wrong. Our chapter rules interp told me last night this wasn't a travel and I disagree whole heartedly. A1 has not used his dribble yet. A1 jumps in the air to shot a jump shot. While in air he realizes his shot will be blocked, so he dribbles before he comes back to the floor.

That imo would be an illegal dribble because he didn't release the ball before his pivot left the floor.

Rich Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 (Post 997580)
Someone please prove me wrong. Our chapter rules interp told me last night this wasn't a travel and I disagree whole heartedly. A1 has not used his dribble yet. A1 jumps in the air to shot a jump shot. While in air he realizes his shot will be blocked, so he dribbles before he comes back to the floor.

That imo would be an illegal dribble because he didn't release the ball before his pivot left the floor.

You're right.

Adam Tue Jan 17, 2017 01:19pm

Either you misunderstood your rule interpreter, or you need a new rule interpreter.

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Jan 17, 2017 01:26pm

Yeah, what they said.

SNIPERBBB Tue Jan 17, 2017 01:30pm

What rationale wad he using for his stance?

BigT Tue Jan 17, 2017 01:35pm

Quote:

You know your rule book, just call it and ignore him...

HokiePaul Tue Jan 17, 2017 02:29pm

Dropping the ball is not the violation. It's touching the ball first after releasing it which confirms that it was a dribble (and not a pass) and thus causes the violation.

Perhaps that was the point the interpreter was making and something got lost in translation of the play.

johnsonboys03 Tue Jan 17, 2017 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 997603)
Dropping the ball is not the violation. It's touching the ball first after releasing it which confirms that it was a dribble (and not a pass) and thus causes the violation.

Perhaps that was the point the interpreter was making and something got lost in translation of the play.

I wish that were the case. Our rules interp know a a lot and trys hard to make us better. But when he doesn't know something he pretends he does and rarely admits he doesn't know.

bob jenkins Tue Jan 17, 2017 03:27pm

Search the annual interps on this site. I seem to recall this play being in there.

BillyMac Tue Jan 17, 2017 04:22pm

Travel ...

Quote:

... would be an illegal dribble because he didn't release the ball before his pivot left the floor.

I believe that, if this was a violation, it would not be illegal dribble violation, but rather, a travel violation.

Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits
while holding the ball. The limits on foot movements are as follows: The pivot foot may not be lifted before the ball is released, to start a dribble.

Also, who's to say that this wasn't the start of a bounce pass?

johnsonboys03 Sun Jan 22, 2017 03:55pm

Does anyone have an old case play of this?

JRutledge Sun Jan 22, 2017 04:27pm

Easy to find and in the current books.

4.44.3 Situation A:

A1 jumps to try for goal. B1 also jumps and : (a) slaps the ball out of A1's hand; (b) touches the ball but does not prevent A1 from releasing the ball; (c) touches the ball and A1 returns to the floor holding the ball; or (d) touches the ball and A1 drops it to the floor and touches it after it bounces.

Ruling: In (a) and (b), the remaining live. In (c), a traveling violation. In (d), a violation for starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor. Since the touching did not prevent the pass or try in (b), (c) and (d) the ball remains live and subsequent action covered by rules which applied to the situation.

Peace