The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 19, 2017, 02:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesshank View Post
I agree whole heartedly with everything you said. I work in the other WIAA (Washington) and we get $47 for varsity here (3 man varsity crews) plus mileage if out of town (only one person gets mileage as we are encouraged to ride together). I do feel that sub varsity ($42 for 2 man crew) games should get paid equally to varsity bc they are more difficult to officiate bc of the talent level and the coaches seem more ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Not a chance. Subvarsity should be a stopping point for officials as they develop. One way to have career JV officials is to offer the same pay, an earlier finish, and less pressure.

JV coaches get away with stuff cause officials allow it.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2017, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Some teams have new uniforms almost every season, I get that.
That may not be part of their budget -- and I'm guessing "not" if they get them every year. My son's school varsity gets new uniforms every year, but that's because of a deal with Nike (well, Jordan for hoops . . . he get's a lot of cool swag, too . . .) While my son goes to a Jesuit school, some of the Jordon sponsored schools are public schools from not wealthy areas.

(But I also don't think my son's league of private schools is cheap about paying the refs. My son's school even lectures the parents at the parent meeting about *not* yelling at refs, explaining that one of the biggest obstacles to having better refs, especially for frosh/JV, is that so many quit because it isn't worth the abuse.)
Old Sat Jan 21, 2017, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

snip..[QUOTE=crosscountry55;997816]

2. I had a D1 Boys Varsity game last night with a full gym, a somewhat hostile crowd, an ignoramus coach and two player technicals for dumb stuff. For my 3 hours of active fight prevention efforts I received.....$50.

Let me preface this comment as a remote northern WI official that I don't really care about the pay, but this is insane. I haven't worked a three man game in the past three years for less than $80. Yes, we don't get mileage, but a review of my schedule shows that 3/4 of my games are within 40 miles one way with the longest trip being 75 miles. You can do the math on the mileage reimbursements split 3 ways.

Fortunately for us, our conference assigners have been very proactive and have found the school administrators to be receptive to the fee schedule. I guess the takeaways are twofold:

1. At least for me, the fee increase in exchange for mileage reimbursement has worked out pretty well. The inference that were getting the short end of the stick by forgoing mileage just isn't accurate.

2. Were very fortunate up here as the laws of supply and demand appear to be on our side, as I've heard that one conference up this way will actually be going to $90/game next year.

My sincerest hopes that you guys get some pay increases going forward.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2017, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakman2005000 View Post
Let me preface this comment as a remote northern WI official that I don't really care about the pay, but this is insane. I haven't worked a three man game in the past three years for less than $80. Yes, we don't get mileage, but a review of my schedule shows that 3/4 of my games are within 40 miles one way with the longest trip being 75 miles. You can do the math on the mileage reimbursements split 3 ways.

Fortunately for us, our conference assigners have been very proactive and have found the school administrators to be receptive to the fee schedule. I guess the takeaways are twofold:

1. At least for me, the fee increase in exchange for mileage reimbursement has worked out pretty well. The inference that were getting the short end of the stick by forgoing mileage just isn't accurate.

2. Were very fortunate up here as the laws of supply and demand appear to be on our side, as I've heard that one conference up this way will actually be going to $90/game next year.

My sincerest hopes that you guys get some pay increases going forward.
Fascinating. I worked for a year in Kansas and the statewide spread was $70-$85, all for three-person (70 or 75 urban, 85 in the rural west). In Wisconsin, similar setup, but the spread is over twice as large ($50-$85). Sheesh.

So the budget "issues" that Rich alludes to don't seem to be an issue up north; the fees are higher despite a lower per capita income and, presumably, similar admissions prices at the gate. However, in said rural northern areas, do many schools not have frosh and JV teams? If so, that would be a lot less money to spend on officials on any given Tuesday or Friday night, making it easier to stomach the higher varsity fees. Out of curiosity, for those schools who do have frosh/JV teams, what is the 2-person fee range for those games?
Old Sat Jan 21, 2017, 05:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

You say "issues" like school are just making stuff up.

I have few schools playing JV2 or FR. Some don't have JV teams. Many of the MKE schools have 4 levels.

I'm not for a second excusing the low pay. But don't think there isn't an issue cause more rural districts do it.

Further, why shouldn't supply and demand not be part of the decision on what to pay people? Till we're all willing to take time off and send a message, what incentive besides good faith do conferences have to fix things?

I've been on the commish side for 3 years. 3-person was brought forward and approved in my first meeting (me along with the outgoing commish) for last season. So schools already increased their spend at the V level by 50% last season as we held the pay at the same level ($60). Expecting schools to then increase again immediately is a tough sell, however we only spent 2 years at $60 and will go to $65 next year with plans to be at $70 within 5 years.

With the state not setting rates, it's a lot more complicated than people think.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2017, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

In SC we get $78 for a varsity DH plus $0.45/mile (minimum $9). I make as little as $87 to as much as $131 for varsity DHs.

The single-game varsity fee is $55. So, apparently the second game is only worth $23.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2017, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

I won't do this for less than $60-$70 a game to be honest. I only work varsity and am at the point where I am happy working about 20 decent-good games a year. I have a young family, full time job, and side business (as well as my wife runs a business which means some things there fall on me too).

I have no interest anymore for games below the varsity level. I don't want to deal with those coaches, who to often are let run free by regular JV guys, and I have not interest in wanting to officiate games that "don't count".

This is a hobby, that once it gets to the point where I am not having fun I quit. Truthfully I'm almost at the point where I may be okay with 10-15 good games. I treat this for what it is to me until it isn't anymore. I enjoy officiating. I don't enjoy officiating to the point where it may feel like a job.

In the end the money isn't the reason to the guys that care and that are good. The money is the reason to the guys that want to do as many games as humanly possible. It all depends what stage of life you are in. The big challenge of getting younger folks into officiating is (1) a$$hole coaches and veterans not addressing the issue (2) stupid rating and classification structures (3) officials thinking they are better than they are.

I started officiating college last year, and it's fun. But I'm at the point where this is probably my ceiling and I have to decide if the effort for college is worth it. Realistically, it probably isn't.

I have also found that the officials that do get state games, etc. are usually not very outspoken and go with the flow without causing ripples. I'm just not that guy, and I accept it's shortcomings.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2017, 10:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I won't do this for less than $60-$70 a game to be honest. I only work varsity and am at the point where I am happy working about 20 decent-good games a year. I have a young family, full time job, and side business (as well as my wife runs a business which means some things there fall on me too).

I have no interest anymore for games below the varsity level. I don't want to deal with those coaches, who to often are let run free by regular JV guys, and I have not interest in wanting to officiate games that "don't count".

This is a hobby, that once it gets to the point where I am not having fun I quit. Truthfully I'm almost at the point where I may be okay with 10-15 good games. I treat this for what it is to me until it isn't anymore. I enjoy officiating. I don't enjoy officiating to the point where it may feel like a job.

In the end the money isn't the reason to the guys that care and that are good. The money is the reason to the guys that want to do as many games as humanly possible. It all depends what stage of life you are in. The big challenge of getting younger folks into officiating is (1) a$$hole coaches and veterans not addressing the issue (2) stupid rating and classification structures (3) officials thinking they are better than they are.

I started officiating college last year, and it's fun. But I'm at the point where this is probably my ceiling and I have to decide if the effort for college is worth it. Realistically, it probably isn't.

I have also found that the officials that do get state games, etc. are usually not very outspoken and go with the flow without causing ripples. I'm just not that guy, and I accept it's shortcomings.

I respect all of that.

I am still one of the 50-60 games a year people --I don't care much about the level of pay except that I feel I owe it to others to be an advocate for better pay and working conditions. The difference between $50 and $80 isn't going to improve my life.

I am at my ceiling -- I work HS games and a handful of junior college games and that's it. But my kid will be in HS in 3 years and I expect things to slow. I'm also 30 years in and without a move to 3-person I probably would've retired before I hit 50. Not cause I can't work 2, but because the game has moved past officials calling a really good game that way, especially in fast, physical games, and I wasn't having a lot of fun the last few years we worked 2.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2017, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You say "issues" like school are just making stuff up.

I have few schools playing JV2 or FR. Some don't have JV teams. Many of the MKE schools have 4 levels.

I'm not for a second excusing the low pay. But don't think there isn't an issue cause more rural districts do it.

Further, why shouldn't supply and demand not be part of the decision on what to pay people? Till we're all willing to take time off and send a message, what incentive besides good faith do conferences have to fix things?

I've been on the commish side for 3 years. 3-person was brought forward and approved in my first meeting (me along with the outgoing commish) for last season. So schools already increased their spend at the V level by 50% last season as we held the pay at the same level ($60). Expecting schools to then increase again immediately is a tough sell, however we only spent 2 years at $60 and will go to $65 next year with plans to be at $70 within 5 years.

With the state not setting rates, it's a lot more complicated than people think.
There's a lot couched in here, all respectable. I don't mean to be ignorant of the schools' plight. But I do think their budget plight is more perceived and ingrained then anything. It is solvable. Other states, many without state office rate-setting involvement, have solved this. We're just behind, I guess. Sounds like WA and SC are behind with us (actually a little worse).

I highlighted the red sentence for a reason. I think we may be on the verge of a breaking point already. I don't foresee many officials unionizing to force change, but I do see the supply of officials starting to get tapped out in the Milwaukee area. Last Monday an assignor posted an opening for a 5:30 JV girls game on Friday (original official had bugged out, presumably for a varsity game somewhere else). He sent the email again on Wednesday, and again on Thursday. No takers. On a busy Friday night there just aren't that many folks available. The game magically got filled at the last minute, but I'm sure it took begging and pleading by the assignor. I'm thinking....maybe if the assignor had just told the school, "Sorry, I've got no one available for your $40 JV game; you'll have to cancel the game," a message would have been sent. If that were to start to happen routinely, the assignor could tell the conference ADs, "Look, I'm trying to get the games filled, but you're just NOT making the fees attractive enough to new and veteran officials alike; consider $50 for JV and $70 for varsity and you'll attract new talent to the avocation and encourage upward desire. Meanwhile we'll be more encouraged to get involved in training and development in exchange for the pay increase."

Of course they'd fire the assignor, but you can only ignore the problem for so long. Eventually the chickens come home to roost.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2017, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I only work varsity and am at the point where I am happy working about 20 decent-good games a year....Truthfully I'm almost at the point where I may be okay with 10-15 good games.
Quote:
I respect all of that.

I am still one of the 50-60 games a year people.
I respect it, too. But I couldn't work only 10-20 games a year and stay sharp, especially for good games. I find that after a long break I'm very rusty. Without very frequent court time, I'm just not as good an official. That's just me, of course. I'm sure others don't need the reps as much as I do. For me, though, reps are critical to my success.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2017, 11:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Depends on the school. While some use assigners, all my schools hire their own JV and lower officials.

Some are feeling the pinch of the reschedules right now. Tangent alert.

I would hope that officials aren't dumping JV assignments for varsity ones. Say what you want, but officials signed a contract to work those games and "getting a varsity offer" doesn't void that contract. I'm happy to work with people, but they should be finding subs to offer to the schools or the assigner. And this will sound really foreign to those that live elsewhere.

I've already quietly fired a couple of people this year who dumped one of my varsity games for another. Quietly cause they just won't get availability sheets when I assign my next season. Is it worth losing a conference and 4-6 games or more as well as the possibility of losing postseason eligibility to go work a "better" game?
Old Sun Jan 22, 2017, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've already quietly fired a couple of people this year who dumped one of my varsity games for another. Quietly cause they just won't get availability sheets when I assign my next season. Is it worth losing a conference and 4-6 games or more as well as the possibility of losing postseason eligibility to go work a "better" game?
Nope.

I have worked in six states now, and though it sucks being the new guy all the time, I do find that I catch up quickly in the "favor" of assignors because I always manage my availability diligently and honor my commitments. Despite my newness, my schedules quickly get good. Even in Wisconsin (despite my "vent" about crews and contracts before the season started, to be honest I've done all right this year).

To all new officials reading, heed this. At least at the high school level, 75% of the relationship between you and your assignor has nothing to do with how you call a game on the court. Take care of your assignor and he/she will take care of you. It's that simple. Well, maybe go to a camp once in a while, but otherwise it's that simple.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2017, 11:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Nope.

I have worked in six states now, and though it sucks being the new guy all the time, I do find that I catch up quickly in the "favor" of assignors because I always manage my availability diligently and honor my commitments. Despite my newness, my schedules quickly get good. Even in Wisconsin (despite my "vent" about crews and contracts before the season started, to be honest I've done all right this year).

To all new officials reading, heed this. At least at the high school level, 75% of the relationship between you and your assignor has nothing to do with how you call a game on the court. Take care of your assignor and he/she will take care of you. It's that simple. Well, maybe go to a camp once in a while, but otherwise it's that simple.

Or as I've said many times, dependable trumps good.

(And this is a gross oversimplification...)
Old Sun Jan 22, 2017, 12:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Little Corner Of Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I think we may be on the verge of a breaking point already ... I do see the supply of officials starting to get tapped out in the Milwaukee area. Last Monday an assignor posted an opening for a 5:30 JV girls game on Friday .. He sent the email again on Wednesday, and again on Thursday ... On a busy Friday night there just aren't that many folks available ...
We're having similar problems here. We have about 250 officials covering about 75 high schools (most with boys, girls, freshman, junior varsity, varsity) as well as many middle schools. No competition here, IAABO is the only kid on the block for high school basketball. Even with subvarsity officials working freshman/junior varsity doubleheaders, if a couple of guys get injured, or sick, or decide to take a three day ski weekend up north, we're having trouble covering really busy nights, usually Fridays. Sometimes we have to assign varsity officials to junior varsity/varsity doubleheaders, something that is greatly frowned upon by athletic directors, and varsity coaches, who want fresh officials for their varsity games. Game fees for 2016/2017: varsity fee: $94.63, subvarsity fee: $61.39, almost all two person games.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 22, 2017 at 12:49pm.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2017, 01:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We're having similar problems here. We have about 250 officials covering about 75 high schools (most with boys, girls, freshman, junior varsity, varsity) as well as many middle schools. No competition here, IAABO is the only kid on the block for high school basketball. Even with subvarsity officials working freshman/junior varsity doubleheaders, if a couple of guys get injured, or sick, or decide to take a three day ski weekend up north, we're having trouble covering really busy nights, usually Fridays. Sometimes we have to assign varsity officials to junior varsity/varsity doubleheaders, something that is greatly frowned upon by athletic directors, and varsity coaches, who want fresh officials for their varsity games. Game fees for 2016/2017: varsity fee: $94.63, subvarsity fee: $61.39, almost all two person games.
I laugh at that. They want fresh officials and then use 2-person crews.

Cry me a river.

Hire 3 to work both JV/V and it helps with both "problems", doesn't it?