The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 01:03pm
High Five Master

Remaining players

Settle a debate: how many players must a team have to finish a game? My cohort says at least two (throw ins etc) but I maintain one if you reasonably believe that team can win the game.

I tried searching but the function is screwy on my phone.

Has anyone ever gotten to less than 3 or 4 on five? I've had 3v 5 in wreck ball but not in NFHS sanctioned ball.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 01:05pm
AremRed

You are right, your buddy is wrong.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 01:09pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
You are right, your buddy is wrong.

My vote for post o'the week
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 01:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

We finished a GV game with 4 last week.

6 players fouled out. I'm not making that up.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting thought...I am pretty sure you could finish with one player but that does pose the question of the team with only one player inbounding the ball if it came to that.

I guess they'd have to throw it pretty high in the air toward half court and hope the individual throwing it in could get it after a muff or tip by the defensive team
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Before I started officiating once I retired from coaching, we finished a game with 2 players .. and won
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

I think a team down to two would realize they better not foul cuz one is going to be hard to play with. And the team with 5 is going to pass the ball and hold it cuz they can easily avoid 2 guys on the floor..haha
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 01:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches View Post
Interesting thought...I am pretty sure you could finish with one player but that does pose the question of the team with only one player inbounding the ball if it came to that.

I guess they'd have to throw it pretty high in the air toward half court and hope the individual throwing it in could get it after a muff or tip by the defensive team
It would take a very specific situation where a team would be allowed to continue with one player.

The inbounder could throw it off an opponent -- that's about it.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 01:46pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It would take a very specific situation where a team would be allowed to continue with one player.

Or not throw it in at all and just take the violation.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 01:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Or not throw it in at all and just take the violation.
If the other team doesn't touch the inbound "pass" it's essentially the same thing.

We did a JUCO game with 5 on each team a few weeks ago. All these horrible scenarios crossed my mind, but then nobody fouled out (a player got a 4th with about a minute left).
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a game one time where we got down to 2 left on one team(one with 4 fouls) with about 2 minutes left. This team was leading by 6 points at the time. I had this conversation in my mind, and while I don't have my books with me, I recall there being a phrase in there something to the effect of, "if a team gets down to 1 player remaining, it's a forfeit, unless the referee believes they have a reasonable opportunity to win the game." I did remember this at the time, and I was prepared to let the game continue to see if the team with only 2 left was smart enough to run out the clock somehow if they got down to 1 player left.

The team with 2 DID end up winning the game.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 01:55pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Here's how I always envisioned it:
Team A (with one player remaining), up by 8-10 points with only a minute or two left in the game.
Team B with 2-3 players remaining, and no timeouts.

Team B shoots, scores. Team A player simply doesn't move to inbound the ball... let the official decide when the throw-in count starts, and whistle the 5-second violation accordingly. Best guess, Team A could run 7-9 seconds off the clock after every made basket by Team B. Assuming Team B takes 2 seconds to score after inbounding, Team A could run off 40ish seconds with 4 possessions, which might be enough to secure the win.

Once Team B takes the lead, of course, the game is over.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 01:56pm
High Five Master

My argument was that if the team with one player was ahead by a lot, they would just have to take the violation each time they were to inbound the ball. Nightmare scenario to watch but I knew that's what the rule said. Anyone have the rule specific handy? My book is........well.....is somewhere but I don't recall where at the moment
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Here's how I always envisioned it:
Team A (with one player remaining), up by 8-10 points with only a minute or two left in the game.
Team B with 2-3 players remaining, and no timeouts.

Team B shoots, scores. Team A player simply doesn't move to inbound the ball... let the official decide when the throw-in count starts, and whistle the 5-second violation accordingly. Best guess, Team A could run 7-9 seconds off the clock after every made basket by Team B. Assuming Team B takes 2 seconds to score after inbounding, Team A could run off 40ish seconds with 4 possessions, which might be enough to secure the win.

Once Team B takes the lead, of course, the game is over.
If the Team A player was smart, they would wait for the official to begin the 5 second count. Then, when the count gets to 4, throw the ball toward the other end of the court with some serious backspin on it, hoping it wouldn't go out of bounds. This would increase the amount of runoff after each basket made by their opponent.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

I found the casebook play with the verbage that discusses this.

3.1.1 SITUATION:

After six players have been disqualified, Team A has only four who are eligible to continue in the game as players. In a gesture of fair play, the coach of Team B indicates a desire to withdraw a player so that each team will have four players on the court.

RULING: This is not permissible. Team B must have five players participating as long as it has that number available. If no substitute is available, a team must continue with fewer than five players. When only one player remains to participate, that team shall forfeit the game unless the referee believes this team still has an opportunity to win the game.