The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Would you address this?

Player on opposing team is in foul trouble all game long. Picks up his 4th on a questionable call in the 3rd quarter. He had his hands up and my player lowered his shoulder a bit and hit him below the chest, defenders arms came down and he got called for his 4th. He of course stands there looking back and forth between the officials and his coach with his hand straight up in the basketball international symbol for "But.... I was straight up". Anyways, as he lines up for the first free throw his arms are still straight up. As he leaves upon being subbed he is still holding his hands straight up. As he sits on the bench for 10 minutes he is sitting there with his hands straight up. As he checks in in the 4th quarter he goes to the table with his hands still raised, he continues to play standing with his hands straight up with the exception of the two times he caught the ball on offense. During a time out, hands still above his head. With about two minutes in the game he finally fouls out even though he has made it clear by this point that he has been in LGP for a good 25 minutes by having his hands straight up(yes that is sarcasm). He then stands in the same pose, takes as long as possible to leave the court, finally walks off the baseline and around the outside of the court through my bench area and finally to his bench where he continued to sit with his arms raised until the game concluded.

The officials did a great job of ignoring him the entire time, but I am wondering if anyone here would have addressed it, either through the coach or directly at some point? I found it incredibly disrespectful and that the kid was showing up the officials in a really unacceptable way. Curious what you feel. I wouldn't allow my players to behave this way but maybe I am just sensitive to this for some reason. Curious if you guys would address it or just let the child act like a child. Boys Varsity by the way.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 10:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

I would've addressed it. Then I would've whacked him.

I don't think those officials did a great job -- they allowed the player to show them up for an extended period of time.

That said, I see a lot of fouls called where a player is hit in the torso, which causes the arms to drop....and then the official says the player wasn't straight up. Need to know WHY he wasn't straight up.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Having only issued one T in my career, I know I am not the most qualified to respond, but I cannot believe that was allowed to continue for 25 minutes! I would tell the player to knock it off, then T if he continued it.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Since I'm the new T during the FT, I'm going to address it with the coach. As he's walking to the bench after being subbed: "Coach, he's going to knock that off or he's going to cost your team 2 free throws." If I'm the C or the L, I'm addressing it with him in not very many words.

Last edited by UNIgiantslayers; Wed Jan 18, 2017 at 11:00am.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Since I'm the new T during the FT, I'm going to address it with the coach. As he's walking to the bench after being subbed: "Coach, he's going to knock that off or he's going to cost your team 2 free throws." If I'm the C or the L, I'm addressing it with him in not very many words.
As the trail, I would address it with the coach and captain. I think this is a perfect opportunity to get the captain involved (assuming he isn't one). If I am administering the FTs, I look right at him and say loud enough for everyone to hear, "Knock it off". That would be warning enough and everyone would know what is coming next.

Sometimes a quiet side conversation with the offender is not good enough.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 11:08am
High Five Master

Agree as stated above. He's not getting as far as still having hands up during fts before I would deal with it
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

"Put your arms down" is what I would have told him after a few seconds of that.

And would have issued a T for leaving the court in that manner but I don't think we would have gotten to that point if it was addressed initially.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

lol.
picturing this happening is actual pretty funny.

but yeah, you have to address this before the free throw takes place in this case play.
something as simple as, "hey #25, knock it off" while shaking your head no.

if he doesn't stop, maybe throw the coach a bone by telling him that he better address it, depending on how the game has gone thus far. or possibly just warn the kid, and pin him if he doesn't stop.

unsportsmanlike covers a broad range...this def. qualifies
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 11:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I would have told his coach, "#25, sitting on your bench, doesn't have to agree with my calls but he does have to be respectful. He needs to knock it off."
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 12:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

" knock that nonsense off" usually does the trick. I'm impressed he was able to keep his arms above his head for 25 minutes.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 01:04pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
" knock that nonsense off" usually does the trick. I'm impressed he was able to keep his arms above his head for 25 minutes.

I thought the same thing. My arms were cramped up just reading about it
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 01:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

Yup, that's exactly what I would do. Unlikely that I'd have to whack him after that, but if I did there'd be no doubt as to why.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

I might let him look like an idiot. Also, his coach looks like an idiot for letting him continue bc I know the player can't play very well like this.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCT View Post
As the trail, I would address it with the coach and captain. I think this is a perfect opportunity to get the captain involved (assuming he isn't one).
^^^^This. I get captain if player doesn't respond immediately. They will get them down if they have to physically swipe them.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Coach and or Captain "You want to take care of it or do you want me to take care of it? "
Once I actually had a coach reply "ou can I'm tired of trying. "
No Problem, T it is.