The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

End of game - clock not started - what would you do?

NFHS: Team B is down and has to go the full length of the court. There are 5.7 seconds on the clock. With heavy pressure, the throw-in is administered. B1 inbounds the ball to B2 and the administering official chops her hand to start the clock. B2 dribbles in the backcourt and the trail official is counting the 10 second count. B2 makes a long pass to B3 who catches the ball near the top of the key and shoots a shot. At this point, the trail official is at 4 in her count and notices that the clock has not started. Being diligent, she continues her count as the shot is in the air. The clock has started. There is a long rebound and B4 secures it. Now, the trail official is at 6 in her count, blows her whistle, and notices that the clock has stopped with 3.7 seconds. The officials confer, indicate that time had expired (based on her count), and declare the game over.

Two questions: Was the crew correct? What would you have done if you were Trail?
Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

In this situation, if the shot was already up or imminent when I realized the clock hadn't started properly, I'd probably do the same thing. Finish counting to six, blow my whistle, and adjudicate the end of the game as the circumstances warrant.

I don't know that there's a right or wrong answer here. It's like an IW...somebody is going to feel like they didn't get a fair shake.

If B3 receives the pass, looks at the clock and then starts dribbling like he has 5.7 seconds, I probably blow the whistle, reset the clock and administer the throw-in from appropriate spot closest to the ball.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
In this situation, if the shot was already up or imminent when I realized the clock hadn't started properly, I'd probably do the same thing. Finish counting to six, blow my whistle, and adjudicate the end of the game as the circumstances warrant.

I don't know that there's a right or wrong answer here. It's like an IW...somebody is going to feel like they didn't get a fair shake.

If B3 receives the pass, looks at the clock and then starts dribbling like he has 5.7 seconds, I probably blow the whistle, reset the clock and administer the throw-in from appropriate spot closest to the ball.
Reset the clock to where you have definite knowledge it should be is what I assume you mean, not reset to 5.7 seconds... I agree with you on all points if that's what you meant.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 01:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've done it to end a half, and to end a game.

My preference is to stop and adjust the clock when it's noticed, but I'm not taking away a pending shot either.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

There are often not good solutions when officials (including the timer) make mistakes -- this is a good example.

But is this also on the refs? Should someone have glanced to make sure the clock started?