The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Situation: NFHS Rules. 0:00.4 left on clock. After a free throw, the clock operator started the clock when the ball hit the front of the rim, rather than when it was first touched by a player? What is the proper procedure to correct, or is there one?
here in about 3 seconds!"
-Tim Higgins
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Need more info.

Who got the ball?

Did they get it before the horn sounded?

What's the score?

Who was shooting?
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

There is no good solution to this. The timer screwed up. However, the correct procedure by the book is to blow the whistle as soon as you recognize that the clock has been improperly started. Since this will be during a time when neither team has control (assuming that you notice as the ball is rebounding off the ring), you have to resume play with the AP arrow. The clock should be reset to 0.4 seconds.
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I don't think that I have ever checked whether the clock started while I was watching a rebound. (I am still waiting for evolution to grant me my third eye.) But, I do have information as to exactly how much time was on the clock prior to the FT being attempted.
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Team B was shooting the FT, Team A was ahead, and got the rebound of the missed FT about .1 (my best guesstimate) after the horn sounded. With 0.4 seconds left, the horn sounded before we could blow the whistle to trya nd correct the error.
here in about 3 seconds!"
-Tim Higgins
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 04:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Smoothieking
Team B was shooting the FT, Team A was ahead, and got the rebound of the missed FT about .1 (my best guesstimate) after the horn sounded. With 0.4 seconds left, the horn sounded before we could blow the whistle to trya nd correct the error.
This one's relatively easy. Game over. Team A got the rebound anyway. B may not be happy, but.
If B had the rebound, you could consider giving them the ball for a throw-in with .4 left.
Or, if B tips in the shot for a basket without a rebound; give them the score.
I'm not sure about that one, though.
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 05:09pm
Administrator

Quote:

By rule, the Timer started the game clock too soon. Reset the game clock to 0.4 seconds and give the ball to Team A for a throw-in closest to the spot where A1 gathered in the rebound.

MTD, Sr.

[Edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. on Jan 2nd, 2005 at 11:09 PM]
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

By rule, the Timer started the game clock too soon. Reset the game clock to 0.4 seconds and give the ball to Team B for a throw-in closest to the spot where B1 gathered in the rebound.

MTD, Sr.
Why are you giving the ball to Team B?
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
This one's relatively easy. Game over. Team A got the rebound anyway. B may not be happy, but.
If B had the rebound, you could consider giving them the ball for a throw-in with .4 left.
With the estimate of the rebound coming 0.1 seconds after the horn, this probably doesn't apply in this case, but what about the possibility that hearing the horn made B stop going after the rebound (yes - I realize they should "play the whistle," but we all know how players are sometimes)? What if the horn sounded, B pulled back, then A grabbed the rebound?
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 10:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
With the estimate of the rebound coming 0.1 seconds after the horn, this probably doesn't apply in this case, but what about the possibility that hearing the horn made B stop going after the rebound (yes - I realize they should "play the whistle," but we all know how players are sometimes)? What if the horn sounded, B pulled back, then A grabbed the rebound?
I was thinking of this while writing that. I'd say in that case, go with the arrow.
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 11:08pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

By rule, the Timer started the game clock too soon. Reset the game clock to 0.4 seconds and give the ball to Team B for a throw-in closest to the spot where B1 gathered in the rebound.

MTD, Sr.
Why are you giving the ball to Team B?

BBR:

I misread who got the rebound. Which ever team got the rebound should get the throw-in. I guess I am getting senile in my old age. I will go back and edit my origianl post. Thanks.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thought I had missed something.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

By what rule reference are we giving the ball to team A or B based on a rebound? The horn sounded with no team control, I would say this would have to go to the AP arrow with .4 back on the clock.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 05:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
By what rule reference are we giving the ball to team A or B based on a rebound? The horn sounded with no team control, I would say this would have to go to the AP arrow with .4 back on the clock.
MTD and Tony are talking about the case in which either A1 or B1 catches the rebound just before time expires. Therefore, when the whistle is blown there is team control.

The post that I made earlier handled what to do if the ball is still coming off the ring DURING the rebound and you notice that the clock is already running. That one is AP.

I don't wish to speak for MTD or Tony, but it seems to me that all of us are basing our rulings on 7.5.4 and 6-4-3e.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 11:56am
Administrator

I feel like I am beating my head against a brick wall. The game clock was started incorrectly. The sounding of the game clock's horn does not stop play in this case. The only problem is a game clock problem. You stop play at the first opportunity and correct the game clock. In this case when the player gained control of the rebound.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio