The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 13, 2017, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Handling end of Game Situations

Can I please get some confirmations on these end of game scenarios:

(1) Team A is ahead 61-60 and A1 drives to the basket and is fouled by B1 as the horn goes off to end the game. Coach of Team A yells obscenities at the officiating crew. The trail official rules a flagrant technical foul on the Head Coach of Team A. (a) I would allow Team-A to shoot the (2) free throws and depending upon: (i) makes both shots, then Team B does not shoot the (2) free throws for the technical OR (ii) makes only 1 or none of the shots then Team B does get the opportunity to shoot the (2) shots for the technical to decide the outcome of the game. Please comment and provide a Case Book # to back this up?

(2) Team A is ahead 61-60 and A1 drives to the basket and is fouled by B1 and the ball does not go into the basket as the horn goes off to end the game. Submit the foul into the book and do not administer any shots as the time has expired and Team A has won the game.

(3) (2) Team A is ahead 62-60 and A1 drives to the basket and hits a layup to tie the score and then the horn goes off. Coach of Team A argues vociferously about a 'no foul' call. Coach of team A yells at the officiating crew and is assessed a flagrant technical foul. I say we go to O/T and start the O/T with team B taking the (2) Foul shots for the Technical and taking the ball OOB at the division line.

Thanks in advance for the observations.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2017, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

(1 & 2) Correct. When time has expired at the end of the game shoot all pending FTs up to the point where it is mathematically impossible for the outcome to change based on the remaining FTs due.

In your last case, you must have a typo. The team that you had as being ahead then made a bucket to tie the score. I'll assume you meant team A was behind and made a shot to tie. You are correct in your conclusion. Since the quarter ended with a tie, the quarter is over. Overtime will be played and coach A's action are penalized at the start of OT.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2017, 05:00pm
Stubborn Member

I'm only giving this a shot with knowledge off the top of my head, so I could very well be wrong.

1. Normally you wouldn't shoot the free throws for the shooting foul on B1, as they would not affect the outcome of the game. However, due to the technical foul on Coach A, those shots for the shooting foul now matter. So A1 would shoot the shooting foul free throws (with the lane clear).

Next any member of Team B would shoot two free throws for the technical foul on Coach A. UNLESS A1 made both of his free throws, meaning Team B could not tie the game with their two free throws, and the outcome has already been decided.

The throw-in for Team B, due to the technical foul, does not happen. While the technical foul was called after the horn, the quarter has not yet ended due to the shooting and technical free throws to be give.

If the game is tied after all the free throws... overtime, here we come.

2. Right. Although, whether the shot goes in or not doesn't matter. The outcome of the game has been decided already.

3. Yep. Since the 4th quarter ended, the technical foul penalties are administered to start OT.

Now I cringe awaiting my fate.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2017, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
(1 & 2) Correct. When time has expired at the end of the game shoot all pending FTs up to the point where it is mathematically impossible for the outcome to change based on the remaining FTs due.

In your last case, you must have a typo. The team that you had as being ahead then made a bucket to tie the score. I'll assume you meant team A was behind and made a shot to tie. You are correct in your conclusion. Since the quarter ended with a tie, the quarter is over. Overtime will be played and coach A's action are penalized at the start of OT.
Thank you....agreed there was a typo in the last part: Should have been Team B to score the layup. Many thanks

(3) (2) Team A is ahead 62-60 and B1 drives to the basket and hits a layup to tie the score and then the horn goes off. Coach of Team A argues vociferously about a 'no foul' call. Coach of team A yells at the officiating crew and is assessed a flagrant technical foul. I say we go to O/T and start the O/T with team B taking the (2) Foul shots for the Technical and taking the ball OOB at the division line.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2017, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd41flpk View Post
Thank you....agreed there was a typo in the last part: Should have been Team B to score the layup. Many thanks

(3) (2) Team A is ahead 62-60 and B1 drives to the basket and hits a layup to tie the score and then the horn goes off. Coach of Team A argues vociferously about a 'no foul' call. Coach of team A yells at the officiating crew and is assessed a flagrant technical foul. I say we go to O/T and start the O/T with team B taking the (2) Foul shots for the Technical and taking the ball OOB at the division line.
Why would A complain for a NO FOUL call. Team B was the one that drove the lane (maybe a charge).
Old Fri Jan 13, 2017, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Why would A complain for a NO FOUL call. Team B was the one that drove the lane (maybe a charge).
I think he still has his A's and B's mixed up. Let's assume that it was the coach of the shooter who was complaining about no foul call....thinking his player should be on the line to win in regulation.