The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Asked to run for supervisor of officials

I was asked by our president if I was interested in running for Supervisor of officials for the next 2 seasons. I know what our current supervisor does like talk at our meeting about current issues and questions currently going on in our area.

I have been officiating for 14 years at the high school level and am honored that they would think of me in this capacity. I did want to get involved in a higher capacity and was thinking of assisting with the cadet supervisor, but wasn't expecting to be asked to fill in this position.

Does anyone have any experience being the supervisor of officials for their board and if so what exactly did the position entail. Any feedback is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz722 View Post
I was asked by our president if I was interested in running for Supervisor of officials for the next 2 seasons. I know what our current supervisor does like talk at our meeting about current issues and questions currently going on in our area.

I have been officiating for 14 years at the high school level and am honored that they would think of me in this capacity. I did want to get involved in a higher capacity and was thinking of assisting with the cadet supervisor, but wasn't expecting to be asked to fill in this position.

Does anyone have any experience being the supervisor of officials for their board and if so what exactly did the position entail. Any feedback is appreciated.

I think I'd find out who the last one was and talk to him or her. Could assign games, could just be in charge of fielding coach gripes. Talking to officials after games. Disciplining officials. Could be in charge of answering any rules questions....No real idea but I'd say some of those are likely.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 03:48am
Official Forum Member

It would be very hard to say. Every group is organized differently and the roles have different expectations. In fact, your mention of this position is the first time I've heard of this position in a HS group.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Run as fast as you can as far as you can and say no thank you.

Yes its a powerful position yet you will be blamed for everyones schedule no matter how well you do. Then you will have to listen to the gripes of everyone including coaches. Every late official. Every ejection report. Every no show. The list just goes on forever. You only get paid for filling games. Its all the other crap you have to deal with that makes your pay per hour drop to pennies.

Make sure you talk to the last guy and ask a lot about what he loved and hated.

Good luck if you say yes...
Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 07:17pm
big jake

Do it
Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

I did accept it. It seems like evaluating other officials and discussing issues that our chapter might be having or point of emphasis for the year. I am excited I don't have to deal with scheduling or assigning games, but I will be in contact with AD's and coaches so that might get a little frustrating at times. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz722 View Post
I did accept it. It seems like evaluating other officials and discussing issues that our chapter might be having or point of emphasis for the year. I am excited I don't have to deal with scheduling or assigning games, but I will be in contact with AD's and coaches so that might get a little frustrating at times. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Just out of curiosity, how many officials in your association, how many schools do you cover, and what's the pay for the position?
Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Volunteer. Covered for travel, which isn't much and we have 90 officials and cover 33 schools