The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Supervisor Evaulation

I got my first supervisors evaluation the other night and came out of it pretty well.

It's my 2nd season about 25th game overall

Unfortunately for me it was done the worst day possible. during a middle school doubleheader after I had been sick for 2.5 days with the virus that's going around. Not one my wiser decisions to work the game but I hate turning back games.

I was not aware I was going to be evaluated so that was not part of my decision to work.

Most of the things were fairly minor in nature, some positioning/angle and distance things.

I had a coach who was running his mouth about a couple of calls and I gave him a stop sign and a verbal warning. Supervisor asked if I could have issued a technical, I said I could have gone with that but I have always been a fan of the "knock it off" approach but if chose to re-start something, absolutely that's my next move

Coming back to the other thread about the body size of some officials my supervisor pointed that out, especially with the flu, I was dragging. Last year before my first game I was 318 pounds (6'3) and now I'm down 45 pounds, it's a lot easier to move but yeah, to get a varsity schedule I got to work on it, I get it.

The thing my supervisor and a few partners have pointed out is that yes I'm a big man and it's hard to get into position sometimes and that I make rulings further away from the play than I should sometimes but that it's obvious to everyone that I care and I am trying hard.

I'm fine with the process I do plan on continuing to work on the weakness in myself and my game working another year of middle school games before moving to move JV games I'm really ok with that.

Success takes time if it didn't we'd all be working in the NBA right now.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 01:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

I guess I still will never understand why newer officials cannot work HS basketball early in their career. I do not think working middle school really prepares you for anything other than to blow the whistle and use the mechanics. But to call the game that does not seem to help when you actually see more coordination.

That being said, always work with the thought someone of importance or influence is watching. And if it is seen as you having an issue in a middle school game, that is really going to be amped up in a HS setting.

Just keep working hard and do not get it all at once. You want it to take a little time because when you get to the varsity level, it is less forgiving for your mistakes, even the ones you said your evaluator mentioned.

Good luck the rest of the season and with your goals.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

I was talking about an evaluation I got early in my referee "career".

I got 2 within about 2 weeks time. On the first, I got a score of 64. My partner got a 63 ( out of 100 possible ). The game went well without any problems.

On the next game I got a 90. When we talked about this in the next meeting, I said I didn't deserve either the the 64 or the 90, but I was somewhere in between both numbers.

Evaluations are only as good as the person giving the evaluation.

My best advice is stay and watch the varsity level games and watch how they work.

Good luck and always have fun!