The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Back court

Just received this message from Abiter. NFHS

Much discussion is taking place in the various social media and other places about the follow situation. If you have means of contacting your officials to get them the official ruling, it would be help.

Here is the play...
. Team A has Team Control in their frontcourt.
. Team B deflects a pass into the air and over the backcourt.
. A3 catches the ball in his/her backcourt, before the ball makes contact with the floor in the backcourt.
RULING:
This is a backcourt violation, since Team A had Team Control in their frontcourt and A3 was the first to touch a ball that still had frontcourt status while A3 was in the backcourt. The deflection of the ball by B does not change the status of the ball.
This causes A to be the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt and the first to touch in the backcourt. The ball continued to have backcourt status. Similar to A3 catching the ball while standing out-of-bounds.

Thank you.

Theresia D. Wynns
Director of Sports and Officials
National Federation of State High School Associations
PO Box 690 | Indianapolis, IN 46206
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 11:30am
Stubborn Member

I'll call it the way they want, but it doesn't make sense. I mean, the player allowing the ball to bounce in the backcourt before touching it shouldn't make the difference between a legal play and a violation.

Basically, it gives Team B (in this situation) an advantage of being able to grab the ball out of the air and go, while Team A has to wait for it to bounce.

Exception needed? I think so.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I'll call it the way they want, but it doesn't make sense. I mean, the player allowing the ball to bounce in the backcourt before touching it shouldn't make the difference between a legal play and a violation.

Basically, it gives Team B (in this situation) an advantage of being able to grab the ball out of the air and go, while Team A has to wait for it to bounce.

Exception needed? I think so.
An EXCEPTION isn't needed, a rational interpretation is. As has been discussed ad nauseum on here, this interpretation is not at all compelled by the language of the rule.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 12:16pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbret View Post
Just received this message from Abiter. NFHS
I don't doubt you regarding this apparent communication from T. Wynns. But can you post a link to the document you've copied and pasted? I can't find it on the NFHS Arbiter Hub.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 12:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The one time I ever see this play, I'm more likely to remember the rule the way it's written than the interpretation given here. If I get marked down for it, my career will survive.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Since we all agree that A3 is in his backcourt when he touches the ball, the ruling is incorrect.

The ruling should be the same as 9.9.1 Situation C. A3 is not the last player to touch the ball in the frontcourt. He is the first player to touch it in the backcourt. That is not illegal.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Since we all agree that A3 is in his backcourt when he touches the ball, the ruling is incorrect.

The ruling should be the same as 9.9.1 Situation C. A3 is not the last player to touch the ball in the frontcourt. He is the first player to touch it in the backcourt. That is not illegal.
The issue is that the ball has front court status when the A3 touched it, so, A3 caused the ball to have backcourt status. If he lets it bounce, then the floor gives the ball backcourt status and now the last to touch it is the defender.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbilica View Post
The issue is that the ball has front court status when the A3 touched it, so, A3 caused the ball to have backcourt status. If he lets it bounce, then the floor gives the ball backcourt status and now the last to touch it is the defender.

Look at Article 1. Grammar tells me that it is referring to the location of the PLAYER when he touches the ball. The ball having FC status in article 1 isnt key to this issue. A player standing in the BC who touches a ball with FC status does not change the player's location. He is in the BC still. So while the ball has FC status when he touches it , that does not magically change the player's BC location. He is not in the FC so cannot be the last player IN THE FC to touch ball.

The mistake I see is interpreters are reading it to say last player to touch "a ball located in the FC." That's not what rule says.

Last edited by BigCat; Tue Jan 03, 2017 at 03:38pm.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm aware of the status of the ball. I'm also aware of the text of the rule. Note the use of the word "before" in 9-9-1. Before does not equate to simultaneous.
In the play provided, the status of the ball changes from frontcourt to backcourt at the same time as A3 touches it while standing in his backcourt. The rule requires that a member of Team A be the last to touch the ball in frontcourt BEFORE it goes to the backcourt in order for a violation to occur. In this play, A3's touch is simultaneous with the ball going to the backcourt, not before. That doesn't mesh with the rule. The author wants you to accept that A3 is doing two things with one touch--being both the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt and the first to touch it in the backcourt. The rule requires two different points in time and the author can't have it both ways.

If we go back to the previous touch of the ball before A3's, we see that the simple answer is that the last touch in the frontcourt in this scenario was by a member of Team B. A3 merely has the first touch in the backcourt.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Jan 03, 2017 at 03:37pm.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm aware of the status of the ball. I'm also aware of the text of the rule. Note the use of the word "before" in 9-9-1. Before does not equate to simultaneous.
In the play provided, the status of the ball changes from frontcourt to backcourt at the same time as A3 touches it while standing in his backcourt. The rule requires that a member of Team A be the last to touch the ball in frontcourt BEFORE it goes to the backcourt in order for a violation to occur. In this play, A3's touch is simultaneous with the ball going to the backcourt, not before. That doesn't mesh with the rule. The author wants you to accept that A3 is doing two things with one touch--being both the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt and the first to touch it in the backcourt. The rule requires two different points in time and the author can't have it both ways.

If we go back to the previous touch of the ball before A3's, we see that the simple answer is that the last touch in the frontcourt in this scenario was by a member of Team B. A3 merely has the first touch in the backcourt.
I agree with your interpretation. Unfortunately my interpreter does not.

Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree with your interpretation. Unfortunately my interpreter does not.
Unfortunate for you. Of course, this play may happen twice a season.

I was also officiating when this incorrect interp was first issued for the 2007-08 season. It was wrong then and it is still wrong now.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 04:00pm
High Five Master

State of Missouri office just sent an email reiterating the interp that this is to be called a backcourt violation.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 04:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm sure I'll be mindful of this when it never happens to me. Or not.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 04:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sorry Abut The Mixed Metaphors ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
State of Missouri office just sent an email reiterating the interp that this is to be called a backcourt violation.
First IAABO Coordinator of Interpreters, Peter Webb, on a Refresher Exam question, then NFHS Director of Sports and Officials, Theresia D. Wynns, and now the State of Missouri interscholastic sports governing body.

They're circling the wagons and digging in for the long haul. This will be one tough nut to crack.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I have always made the "simultaneous" is not "before" argument. Can you and others look at my post above yours and tell me what you think about that. "In FC refers to location of player, not status of ball. Thx