The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 26, 2016, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Video of 4-Person in D-League Game

You can watch one of the experimental 4-person games the D-League is trying here. Pretty interesting: https://www.facebook.com/nbadleague/...4632068300289/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Dec 26, 2016, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

So basically they are doing 2 C's and a deepish trail and normal L
Old Mon Dec 26, 2016, 04:46pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by spret93 View Post
You can watch one of the experimental 4-person games the D-League is trying here. Pretty interesting: https://www.facebook.com/nbadleague/...4632068300289/
Interesting implementation. I am curious why they didn't go with a 2-Lead configuration which would preserve the traditional sight lines better (Trail and Slot 1 would not be as close to one another and have a similar angle) and prevent the Trail from having to rotate across open floor when the Lead changes sides.

I can't see this being better than a system with Leads on either side of the basket with a single Slot and Trail official, especially because the Trail is usually working below the 28' line anyway.
Old Mon Dec 26, 2016, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Apparently they are playing around with this and another 4-person config, as well as a 5-person config.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Dec 26, 2016, 05:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Interesting implementation. I am curious why they didn't go with a 2-Lead configuration which would preserve the traditional sight lines better (Trail and Slot 1 would not be as close to one another and have a similar angle) and prevent the Trail from having to rotate across open floor when the Lead changes sides.

I can't see this being better than a system with Leads on either side of the basket with a single Slot and Trail official, especially because the Trail is usually working below the 28' line anyway.
I could only stand to watch a few minutes -- is the L actually rotating? What I saw had the T/L in what looks like a Cadillac with 2 Cs. Is this really even close to an improvement?
Old Mon Dec 26, 2016, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post

Depends on which situation you want to enhance.
The advantage I see in this alignment is transition coverage. You get a new lead into position sooner and are not racing down the court hoping to beat the play as much. You do, as you said, give up better coverage in the half court.

Who knows which alignment they'll settle on, if any. 5 would give the best of both.....2 leads for the half court, and a advanced transition lead.
Old Mon Dec 26, 2016, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I could only stand to watch a few minutes -- is the L actually rotating? What I saw had the T/L in what looks like a Cadillac with 2 Cs. Is this really even close to an improvement?

Farther in the I saw the L rotating over.
Old Mon Dec 26, 2016, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

I saw one rotation by the L and T in what I watched. That seems like a long way to go for the T. Feels like he's bound to get trampled by a sudden fast break at some point.