Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 27, 2016, 03:47am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I wouldn't even have started such a count in this scenario. Can anyone here on the forum honestly say they would? A 3-second violation wouldn't even have entered my mind at this point.

I have not called a three seconds violation in 50 years and I stated officiating in 1971.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 27, 2016, 08:35am
Stubborn Member

Unless an offensive player is in the lane and there's nothing going on anywhere near him, and there's nothing else for me to monitor, a three-second violation never comes to mind.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2016, 08:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Had two 3-second violations in my last college game. One of them was a double whistle.

They do occur.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2016, 06:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Had two 3-second violations in my last college game. One of them was a double whistle.

They do occur.

I've called two this season myself. They tend to call themselves.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2016, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

My son played in a tournament last week with similar timing issues. (IMHO, the two man team was out of its depth, at least trying to do the game two-man.). But in addition to a few three second calls (at least one was very quick following a shot), we were graced with a 10 second backcourt call (while the shot clock only showed 9 seconds had run), a five second closely-guarded call when no one else in the gym thought the casual dribbler was being closely guarded by the leisurely defender, and the first time I've ever seen a 10 second call on a FT in a high school game (I wasn't counting, but it seemed quick to me, and was whistled as the ball left the shooters hand). At least they were consistent with quick counts....
Old Sat Dec 31, 2016, 03:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Maybe Nessie Is Real ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
... the first time I've ever seen a 10 second call on a FT in a high school game
So it does exist. I thought that this was a myth, or a hoax.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 31, 2016 at 03:58pm.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2016, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My son played in a tournament last week with similar timing issues. (IMHO, the two man team was out of its depth, at least trying to do the game two-man.). But in addition to a few three second calls (at least one was very quick following a shot), we were graced with a 10 second backcourt call (while the shot clock only showed 9 seconds had run), a five second closely-guarded call when no one else in the gym thought the casual dribbler was being closely guarded by the leisurely defender, and the first time I've ever seen a 10 second call on a FT in a high school game (I wasn't counting, but it seemed quick to me, and was whistled as the ball left the shooters hand). At least they were consistent with quick counts....

Probably a new official/crew as you stated. In my first couple of years, I was "that official" who would look for calls like this, almost as if to demonstrate that I knew a bunch of rules.

Over time I learned how to put rules in context. If there's a rare or unusual violation to call, it finds me. I don't go looking for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Dec 31, 2016, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... we were graced with a 10 second backcourt call (while the shot clock only showed 9 seconds had run) ...
Not speaking to your instance in particular, but unless the shot-clock operator is amazing (and at the HS level or below, that's a toss up at best, getting worse as the level drops), you cannot use the shot clock as any sort of barometer for a 10-second call, nor should you.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2016, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... we were graced with ... a five second closely-guarded call when no one else in the gym thought the casual dribbler was being closely guarded by the leisurely defender ...
Again, not speaking to your example in particular, since these are HTBT situations, but the "attitudes" of the players (casual, leisurely, etc.) are never relevant when it comes to violations. Hell, if LGP was established and the defender remained within 6 feet, both players could turn their backs to each other in indifference and 5 seconds could still be called.

Something else that's never relevant: What "everyone else in the gym" thinks. This is probably why more and more coaches, fans and parents are reportedly losing their minds on a regular basis. Because their views on all calls/non-calls are always irrelevant, more often than not invalid and absolutely never taken into consideration.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2016, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Not speaking to your instance in particular, but unless the shot-clock operator is amazing (and at the HS level or below, that's a toss up at best, getting worse as the level drops), you cannot use the shot clock as any sort of barometer for a 10-second call, nor should you.
I'd fix the shot clock well before calling a 10 second violation. No way I'm going to have a situation where the shot clock only shows 9 seconds have come off and I'm calling a violation.

If I'm at 2 on my count in the back court and the shot clock hasn't been reset, I'm stopping the game and having them fix it.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2016, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Again, not speaking to your example in particular, since these are HTBT situations, but the "attitudes" of the players (casual, leisurely, etc.) are never relevant when it comes to violations. Hell, if LGP was established and the defender remained within 6 feet, both players could turn their backs to each other in indifference and 5 seconds could still be called.

Something else that's never relevant: What "everyone else in the gym" thinks. This is probably why more and more coaches, fans and parents are reportedly losing their minds on a regular basis. Because their views on all calls/non-calls are always irrelevant, more often than not invalid and absolutely never taken into consideration.
I agree 100% with that though, and understand what you're saying about the shot clock issue, too. But if I'm working a game with a shot clock, I'm going to make sure it is working properly and the operator is consistent.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2016, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I agree 100% with that though, and understand what you're saying about the shot clock issue, too. But if I'm working a game with a shot clock, I'm going to make sure it is working properly and the operator is consistent.
Of course. We're in agreement on all fronts. And I'm also agreeing with the speculation that the officials in So Cal's post likely were inexperienced and/or trigger happy.

But his post seems to come from a fan's perspective, with a fan's concept of the rules, so it's only fair someone stands up for these boor bastards () and plays devil's advocate.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2016, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course. We're in agreement on all fronts. And I'm also agreeing with the speculation that the officials in So Cal's post likely were inexperienced and/or trigger happy.

But his post seems to come from a fan's perspective, with a fan's concept of the rules, so it's only fair someone stands up for these boor bastards () and plays devil's advocate.
Yes, thank god cell phones didn't capture video when I was starting out... everybody has to start somewhere...
Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=ODog;996006]Again, not speaking to your example in particular, since these are HTBT situations, but the "attitudes" of the players (casual, leisurely, etc.) are never relevant when it comes to violations. Hell, if LGP was established and the defender remained within 6 feet, both players could turn their backs to each other in indifference and 5 seconds could still be called.

Are we sure about this? It is called "closely guarded" and not "closely located." I seem to recall a Case Book play that addresses this, unfortunately, I'm at a New Years Party, and don't have my books.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Rob1968;996012]
Quote:

Are we sure about this? It is called "closely guarded" and not "closely located." I seem to recall a Case Book play that addresses this, unfortunately, I'm at a New Years Party, and don't have my books.
SITUATION 12: A1 is holding the ball in her/his frontcourt. B1 moves to within 6 feet and stands and faces A1. The official does not apply the closely guarded rule because B1 is not playing aggressively. RULING: The official is incorrectly applying the closely guarded rule. The amount of movement or the actual body movement of B1 is irrelevant. (Rule 4-10)
Closed Thread