The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Foul after the horn

A2 chases after a missed shot in the corner of the floor. Catches the ball and shoots a fade away 3 at the buzzer. A2 comes back to the floor and buzzer sounds to end the quarter (in this case the 3rd). B2 in attempt to block the shot land's on A2.

I would have a hard time calling a dead ball foul here. What would you all have in this situation?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
A2 chases after a missed shot in the corner of the floor. Catches the ball and shoots a fade away 3 at the buzzer. A2 comes back to the floor and buzzer sounds to end the quarter (in this case the 3rd). B2 in attempt to block the shot land's on A2.

I would have a hard time calling a dead ball foul here. What would you all have in this situation?
I would have to be there to answer that question.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

I assumed I would get that answer. It is definitely a play that could have hundreds of different levels of contact, or amount of time after the horn, etc.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Is the ball dead? When does the ball become dead? Rule 6. I likely wouldnt need to be there to answer your question. If the try is in flight or still has chance to go in, the ball is not dead and the qtr is not over. If he lands on top of him after he returns to the floor you have a bonus situation.

If the try ended, had no chance to go in, the ball is dead (the airborne shooter already returned to the floor) then contact by b2 is ignored unless intentional or flagrant. You havnt described anything intentionalor flagrant.

Last edited by BigCat; Wed Dec 21, 2016 at 09:21am.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

The airborne shooter came back down to the floor after the time expired, so yes I believe it is.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

When does a quarter end when the horn sounds with a try for goal is in flight?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The airborne shooter came back down to the floor after the time expired, so yes I believe it is.
"Time expiring" and "ball becomes dead" are not synonyms
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

The exceptions to rule 6-7-6 is the ball does Not become dead unroll the try or tap ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, when:

a. Occurs while a try or tap for afield goal is in flight.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Is the ball dead? When does the ball become dead? Rule 6. I likely wouldnt need to be there to answer your question. If the try is in flight or still has chance to go in, the ball is not dead and the qtr is not over. If he lands on top of him after he returns to the floor you have a bonus situation.

If the try ended, had no chance to go in, the ball is dead (the airborne shooter already returned to the floor) then contact by b2 is ignored unless intentional or flagrant. You havnt described anything intentionalor flagrant.
Ok. The try had no chance of going in. The contact was not intentional. The contact was ignored.

So is this what you are saying?
If the try had a chance we should have called a common foul, which would in this case been the 5th team foul. We report the foul, no shots rewarded and the quarter is over.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok. The try had no chance of going in. The contact was not intentional. The contact was ignored.

So is this what you are saying?
If the try had a chance we should have called a common foul, which would in this case been the 5th team foul. We report the foul, no shots rewarded and the quarter is over.
One of ways try ends is if it is certain try be unsuccessful. If you were certain it was unsuccessful and the shooter returned to the floor, the qtr is over. Contact after that is ignored unless intentional or flagrant.

If the try had a chance (you are not CERTAIN that it will be unsuccessful) then the try has not ended and the qtr is not over. if b fouls A1 before the qtr ends then report the common foul. if it is only the 5th team foul qtr is over. next qtr starts with Arrow.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 10:40am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post

If the try ended, had no chance to go in, the ball is dead (the airborne shooter already returned to the floor) then contact by b2 is ignored unless intentional or flagrant. You havnt described anything intentional or flagrant.

Excellent and correct answer.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Ok thank you Gentlemen.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 11:14am
Stubborn Member

If the shooter has not returned to the floor the foul on him would lead to free throws... right?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
If the shooter has not returned to the floor the foul on him would lead to free throws... right?

Just like any other foul on an airborne shooter...
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 11:36am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Just like any other foul on an airborne shooter...
I didn't read anyone say that, which is why I brought it up. Just that it would be the 5th team foul and we'd move on.