The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

shot, foul, horn....

I know you guys have probably beat this one to death on some previous post. If so, please provide a link and I'll go read those posts. In the meantime or for descriptive purposes:

Shot
foul in act of shooting
horn

Clock is showing :00. Although all officials agree that the foul occurred before the horn, neither official has definite knowledge of the time remaining when the foul was called. Is it, or should it be, automatically .4 of a second remaining? If a foul occurs before the horn, MUST time be put back on the clock?
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Leave the clock at 0:00. Shoot 2 free throws with lane cleared.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

It was drummed into our mushy heads this year...never put time on the clock unless you have definite knowledge. No guessing. No estimating.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

NCAA - This would be something that is available for review at a monitor, if available, correct?
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Case 5.6.2 Sit G:

"The score is tied when A1 is fouled in the act of shooting and the try is unsuccessful. Playing tim for the fourth quarter expires while the ball is in flight. No players are allowed along the lane......" (the rest of the sit deals with celebration after the made free throw to win the game).

While it doesn't say no time is put back on the clock, the fact that no players are allowed along the lane tell me no time is put back on.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 02:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey
Is it, or should it be, automatically .4 of a second remaining? If a foul occurs before the horn, MUST time be put back on the clock?
There is nothing in the rulebook that ever stipulates that you automatically put any predetermined amount of time back on the clock. Must always have definite knowledge.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
There is nothing in the rulebook that ever stipulates that you automatically put any predetermined amount of time back on the clock. Must always have definite knowledge.
Bad News,

You have definite knowledge that the foul occurred before the horn which means there was time left on the clock. Agree? Which might mean, the whistle was too close to stop the clock or the officials did not see exactly how much time was left? So, you have definite knowledge that the clock was NOT :00 but you don't know how much exactly so you leave it at the spot that you know it could not be?

Just asking?
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bad News,

You have definite knowledge that the foul occurred before the horn which means there was time left on the clock. Agree? Which might mean, the whistle was too close to stop the clock or the officials did not see exactly how much time was left? So, you have definite knowledge that the clock was NOT :00 but you don't know how much exactly so you leave it at the spot that you know it could not be?

Just asking?
When the rule book talks about definate knowledge it is referring to either definate knowledge of the amount of time elapsed in error or of the amount of time which should have elapsed. Knowledge that time should not have elapsed is not definate knowledge. Knowledge that the clock should show 0.6 seconds is definate knowledge.

So if the official looks up and sees the clock at 0:00 he does not have definate knowledge and cannot reset the clock.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 10:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Bad News,

Just asking?
You can only place time on the clock if you have definite knowledge what that time should be. If you don't know you have to eat it.