The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

I had a game last year where I wasn't working with my regular partner and we were doing 2-person. Coach was a putz. I told him early to knock off the behavior so he wasn't talking to me. (Which I was OK with).

Partner makes a call that the coach doesn't like and lights up partner. Partner calls T. I walk toward the bench just to see what is going on. Unlike R in this situation, I did not intervene for the reasons U2 appeared to have had in the scenario.

Two seconds later came T # 2 and Mr. Coach is on his way to the school bus. Part of me still thinks if I would have gotten involved we could have avoided the ejection. I am pretty good at keeping control of a game (35 years experience will sometimes do that for you). I think my partner maybe got a little too emotional and we already knew the coach had issues.

I just don't think there is a right and wrong way to handle. I really like the idea of pregaming T's. I will do that tomorrow for sure.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 11:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
I had a game last year where I wasn't working with my regular partner and we were doing 2-person. Coach was a putz. I told him early to knock off the behavior so he wasn't talking to me. (Which I was OK with).

Partner makes a call that the coach doesn't like and lights up partner. Partner calls T. I walk toward the bench just to see what is going on. Unlike R in this situation, I did not intervene for the reasons U2 appeared to have had in the scenario.

Two seconds later came T # 2 and Mr. Coach is on his way to the school bus. Part of me still thinks if I would have gotten involved we could have avoided the ejection. I am pretty good at keeping control of a game (35 years experience will sometimes do that for you). I think my partner maybe got a little too emotional and we already knew the coach had issues.

I just don't think there is a right and wrong way to handle. I really like the idea of pregaming T's. I will do that tomorrow for sure.
Why is the onus on the official not to get emotional? When the first T was given, that should be a signal to the coach or player, "I cannot play around anymore" and if they cross the line, the should realize it is time for them to go. Even if the official was emotional as you state, I still think the coach needs to realize their behavior has to stop and often it does not stop.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Less-seasoned contributor here--what does TKOB stand for?

Thanks in advance.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 12:30pm
Stubborn Member

I work in retail management and sometimes wish I could give my customers a technical foul. My experience with customers helps me not to get that upset over coaches.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 12:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post

Thanks in advance.
Take Kare of Business
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 12:31pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post

Thanks in advance.
Take Care Of Business
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Why is the onus on the official not to get emotional? When the first T was given, that should be a signal to the coach or player, "I cannot play around anymore" and if they cross the line, the should realize it is time for them to go. Even if the official was emotional as you state, I still think the coach needs to realize their behavior has to stop and often it does not stop.

Peace
No disagreement with you on this.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 04:13pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by apg View Post
ideally:

If i call a player t, i'm gonna stay tableside...i'll be the one to force a switch opposite if need be. If i'm the partner, i'm not going to force a switch unless i know i'm working with a newer official.

Ideally, after the t is called, me (or other partner) is getting to the calling official before he/she reports/administers anything. At that point, one can judge/ask about what happened, and if the official wants to stay or go opposite.
+1

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019