The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Tennessee State @ Duke play (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101983-tennessee-state-duke-play-video.html)

JRutledge Mon Dec 19, 2016 08:07pm

Tennessee State @ Duke play (Video)

If you blink, you might miss it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2HQo2ho-nTk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

deecee Mon Dec 19, 2016 08:22pm

Yes there is contact. It that a good call? I'll pass on answering.

BlueDevilRef Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:25pm

I can't get videos to play anymore from your posts rut. Stupid technology.

I was going to ask and it might be a diff thread starter, but did anyone else see Les Jones emphatically pointing at shot clock when it was under 10? I can't imagine this is an approved mechanic......

BlueDevilRef Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:29pm

No, that was not a good call. C did not have a good look at it and if there was contact it was very very minor. I think he anticipated the call.

I had to go to web view on the app to get vid to load up. Weird.

JRutledge Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:37pm

This to me was a very good call. He clips his left leg and if you see the original angle, he falls because of this. You have to protect the shooter in this case and it does not take much. The call was correct and why I slowed it down. I only happen to hear what the commentator said which caught my eye for the play.

Peace

BigCat Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 995284)
This to me was a very good call. He clips his left leg and if you see the original angle, he falls because of this. You have to protect the shooter in this case and it does not take much. The call was correct and why I slowed it down. I only happen to hear what the commentator said which caught my eye for the play.

Peace

Interesting play. Allen has him beat completely. I cant tell if blue hits allens left leg or allen curls his left leg back and in to hit blue. Left leg usually doesnt curl back in like that. Usually just stays in same place.

Looking at it again it looks like blue does keep moving and hits allen's leg as it moves in. I agree it looks like a good call. And i agree, when a player is in the air it doesnt take much contact to cause a problem.

Raymond Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:51pm

He hits his foot.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Raymond Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 995283)
No, that was not a good call. C did not have a good look at it and if there was contact it was very very minor. I think he anticipated the call.

I had to go to web view on the app to get vid to load up. Weird.

The defender clips the airborne shooter's foot. Great call by an official I'm not particularly fond of.

Raymond Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 995282)
I can't get videos to play anymore from your posts rut. Stupid technology.

I was going to ask and it might be a diff thread starter, but did anyone else see Les Jones emphatically pointing at shot clock when it was under 10? I can't imagine this is an approved mechanic......

Can we have some context?

Hawkeyes Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:31am

Contact, but not a foul.
I watched some of this game and it was definitely a clinic on calling the game under the freedom of movement POE.
I'd say this call fit well with how this particular game was being officiated tonight. However, this seems like marginal contact IMO.

AremRed Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 995285)
I cant tell if blue hits allens left leg or allen curls his left leg back and in to hit blue.

I doubt any official in the world would be good enough to decide that Allen curled his foot back to create the contact and no-call it because of that.

Camron Rust Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:49am

Good call.

JRutledge Tue Dec 20, 2016 08:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 995291)
I doubt any official in the world would be good enough to decide that Allen curled his foot back to create the contact and no-call it because of that.

I have seen this play several times over my career. You see a defender either stick out their hip or they catch an airborne shooter on the leg. Heck, from his point of view this was likely very easy to see. It is not that hard to see. The angle we had was not great. And the shooter falls on his behind.

Also another key, the player did not complain at all. He knew he hit him on some level and that is why he fell to the floor.

Peace

BlueDevilRef Tue Dec 20, 2016 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 995288)
Can we have some context?

It looked to me that Jones was pointing several times toward the shot clock every time it would go under 10 seconds. Doing it very emphatically. Was wondering if that was a mechanic similar to a last second shot in HS. Depends on partner but it's normally a point toward sky under one min. Just don't remember anyone doing it for shot clock. I don't know if players reacted to it but seems to me he would be drawing their attention to it and it might help a team in avoiding a violation.

Raymond Tue Dec 20, 2016 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 995308)
It looked to me that Jones was pointing several times toward the shot clock every time it would go under 10 seconds. Doing it very emphatically. Was wondering if that was a mechanic similar to a last second shot in HS. Depends on partner but it's normally a point toward sky under one min. Just don't remember anyone doing it for shot clock. I don't know if players reacted to it but seems to me he would be drawing their attention to it and it might help a team in avoiding a violation.

The only time I ever reference the shot clock is after an out-of-bounds violation or something that interrupts play without a reset. We remind me each other that there is only so much time left on the shot clock.