The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Mercy Rule Help

Our state has adopted the "mercy rule" for our lowest level of varsity basketball. The state has said a running clock will be used if a lead is 30 points or greater at the start of, or reaches at any time during, the fourth quarter. The clock would only stop for time outs or injury.

One of our officials had a game last night where the score was 30+ and A1 was fouled in the act of shooting. Before the free throws, Team A called a timeout. The clock stopped, but the officials weren't sure when to start the clock. Should it start when the timeout ends or when the free throws end? I visited with the state and they didn't have an answer yet.

For those of you with similar mercy rules, what is the ruling in your area?
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

To be simple, it really ought to be when the clock would start had there not been this rule, ie once the ball is touched after a missed try or after touched on the throwin after a made basket.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
To be simple, it really ought to be when the clock would start had there not been this rule, ie once the ball is touched after a missed try or after touched on the throwin after a made basket.
Given the purpose of the mercy rule, I suggest starting it when the ball is put back in play....when becomes live on the FT.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

If I wqs doing a tournament id start it after the second horn.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
Our state has adopted the "mercy rule" for our lowest level of varsity basketball. The state has said a running clock will be used if a lead is 30 points or greater at the start of, or reaches at any time during, the fourth quarter. The clock would only stop for time outs or injury.

One of our officials had a game last night where the score was 30+ and A1 was fouled in the act of shooting. Before the free throws, Team A called a timeout. The clock stopped, but the officials weren't sure when to start the clock. Should it start when the timeout ends or when the free throws end? I visited with the state and they didn't have an answer yet.

For those of you with similar mercy rules, what is the ruling in your area?
The clock runs when its supposed to and when its not (they give you the exceptions). All injuries and TO's have a start and end. When the TO ends the clock starts. No more complicated than that.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Both points of view expressed so far are valid. And, of course, I've never seein it specifically addressed in any of the mercy rules (no one ever thinks that far in advance). So, I think it depends on the wording of the rule.

If it says "the clock stops only on a TO or injury" then start it when the clock would normally start.

If it says "the clock runs, except during a TO or injury" then start it when the TO is over.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 05:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Given the purpose of the mercy rule, I suggest starting it when the ball is put back in play....when becomes live on the FT.
Without sufficient guidance from the state that states otherwise, this is what I would do.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

I've run across this same dilemma in a multitude of youth games that employ a running clock. I've never seen any running clock rule (youth game, camp game, or HS mercy rule) specify how such a situation is to be treated. So without guidance and in consideration of the paltry pay usually at stake, I generally could care less how the timer chooses to interpret the rule.

More often than not, most timers seem to defer to the "start it when it would have started absent the rule" methodology. I have seen some coaches intentionally call timeout during free throws for the express purpose of saving as much time as possible, knowing that the clock will remain stopped during the FTs after the TO.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Most of the schools in my area have adopted a similar rule. I can only speak for my area, but I believe the intent is that when the clock stops (for FTs, TO, injury), it stays stopped until it would normally be started (i.e. legally touched inbounds).

The timer is simply instructed not to stop the clock as they normally would for non-shooting fouls, held balls, or violations. Nothing else changes.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Most of the schools in my area have adopted a similar rule. I can only speak for my area, but I believe the intent is that when the clock stops (for FTs, TO, injury), it stays stopped until it would normally be started (i.e. legally touched inbounds).

The timer is simply instructed not to stop the clock as they normally would for non-shooting fouls, held balls, or violations. Nothing else changes.
Here in Minnesota, we have the mercy rule. The rule states the clock stops for time outs, injuries, when officials need to confer with the table and other unusual delays. We do run it during free throws when no time outs are involved. It does not explicitly state when the clock should be restarted. I've never had discussion with any of my partners on when the clock should be restarted. The clock gets started as normal just like HokiePaul describes above. I do tell the timer to stop the clock if a player is shooting free throws at the end of the game, do not let time expire with a player at the line.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

In Iowa at 35 pts, it stops for free throws when mercy rule is in effect, which I've always thought was odd. They have to get the lead down to 20 for the running clock to stop.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
In Iowa at 35 pts, it stops for free throws when mercy rule is in effect, which I've always thought was odd. They have to get the lead down to 20 for the running clock to stop.
CA had the mercy rule. It was 40 points and once the clock starts it only stops for injuries or TO's. It starts and runs when the ball is made live and once it starts there is no scenario where it goes back to normal for the remainder of the game. This was 5 years ago, since I moved from CA, so some things may have changed.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Starting the clock at the end of the timeout period seems to make the most sense. Otherwise, this encourages a coach to take the remaining timeouts simply to stop the clock during the free throw.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post

The rule in VA is a VHSL rule that conferences can elect to opt out of. But that rules specifies that exceptions to the clock running include FTs, timeouts, injuries, and administration of technical fouls.

This is not helpful to the OP b/c his state rule apparently does not include a FT exception. As such I would instruct the timer start the clock after the timeout has ended and the ball is placed at the disposal of the FT shooter.

The state should issue clarifying language for this situation.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
The state should issue clarifying language for this situation.
What clarifying language? It's a blowout, run the clock as much and often as you can so you can get over with it.