The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 17, 2016, 03:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
Starting the clock at the end of the timeout period seems to make the most sense. Otherwise, this encourages a coach to take the remaining timeouts simply to stop the clock during the free throw.
What's wrong with that? I hate the "mercy" rule. Whether on the winning or losing end, it's an opportunity to get some kids more playing time than they might otherwise. I wouldn't want to cut that short. I wouldn't call timeout if ahead by 40, but i would understand if the losing team didn't want to get the game cut short. I think it should only be in effect by mutual agreement. How do other coaches feel?
Old Sat Dec 17, 2016, 09:52am
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
What's wrong with that? I hate the "mercy" rule. Whether on the winning or losing end, it's an opportunity to get some kids more playing time than they might otherwise. I wouldn't want to cut that short. I wouldn't call timeout if ahead by 40, but i would understand if the losing team didn't want to get the game cut short. I think it should only be in effect by mutual agreement. How do other coaches feel?

If you are waiting until you are getting blown out by 40 to get playing time for the end of your bench, that's on you.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2016, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
If you are waiting until you are getting blown out by 40 to get playing time for the end of your bench, that's on you.
Where did I say or imply that I did that? And, I don't get the point. My point is I don't care what the score is, I want to play a full game.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2016, 12:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Where did I say or imply that I did that? And, I don't get the point. My point is I don't care what the score is, I want to play a full game.
Well, you're the only one.

Amazing how 2 free throws can take a minute when the clock's running.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2016, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Well, you're the only one.
the coaches, in general, in IL also feel the same way as Coach Bill. That's why there is no mercy rule during the regular season or state-playoffs.

Holiday tournaments can choose to have one -- but few do.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2016, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
You weren't implying it with this?
Old Mon Dec 19, 2016, 12:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
the coaches, in general, in IL also feel the same way as Coach Bill. That's why there is no mercy rule during the regular season or state-playoffs.

I am with Coach Bill and most of the coaches in Illinois if they feel that way. I do not see this as a big deal an if it saves what like 15 minutes, that is not worth it to eliminate a couple kids that could play game. If we are keep being told this is about the kids, then let them play. I really do not care that darn much to save a few minutes.

Now for tournament sake where multiple games could be going on at a time, then yes, get the games over with if you can for the integrity of the schedule. Otherwise, let the kids play a little longer.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 19, 2016, 12:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

We play 18 minute halves now. The extra 4 minutes of play aren't all that welcome in a 40-point blowout.