The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 13, 2016, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

How do you go an entire season not being assigned as the referee?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old Tue Dec 13, 2016, 03:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Most of our games are not assigned by position. Our usual crew calls out positions once all 3 are in the locker room. Usually goes, "U2!" "U1!" "#%*^!"
Old Tue Dec 13, 2016, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Most of our games are not assigned by position. Our usual crew calls out positions once all 3 are in the locker room. Usually goes, "U2!" "U1!" "#%*^!"
I agree. Being the R is such a pain in the you know where. Some guys get way to happy at the thought of being the R. More work, same pay. I'm good to just officiate. In the end if any of screw up we are all on the hook so R is just work.

Now before someone comes aboard with "the rulebook states the R....". Ya good for you.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I introduce myself to the table then go over a few things:

1. The book, that if there are any issues get out attention right away by doing jumping jacks, hitting the horn or yelling for us.
2. Inform the book to make eye contact when we are reporting as I will stand there until they make eye contact, and to let us know when we reach 6 team fouls.
3. Inform the clock operator to watch our hand for the chop and to stop the clock on all whistles (clock operators dont look for the open palm or closed fist, go figure).
4. Review any timing scenarios (i.e. DQ's or injured players) and what the expectation is of the clock operator.
5. Ask the shot clock operator how they deal with jump balls and if there is a reset on a jump ball.
6. Inform the shot clock operator I would rather they be a second late than a second early.

I also have them run the shot clock once so I make sure that the shot clock is set for the correct match and resets to the correct value, plus make sure the shot clock horn works and what the difference in sound it. If there was no game before mine I test the game clock/horn by having them put 5 seconds on the game clock and then back to the amount of time left for warm ups. I don't like having horn/settings issue popup at gametime.

Finally I let them know that any issues with book/clock/etc should be addressed right away and that the longer they wait to bring things to our attention the less likely there will be a accurate resolution.

Regarding the 6 fouls/7 fouls discussion, according to the writer for the Syracuse paper there was a problem related to that in the Syracuse University-Boston University game on December 12th. Apparently SU was awarded two 1-and-1 tries after foul #8 because free throws weren't awarded after the 7th foul of the first half. At least that's what it said in the paper.

I wasn't there and didn't watch the game on TV so don't know any more about it. But as someone who's an official scorer at a different school (who rarely posts here), I'm thinking at least part of the problem is that something happened at the table where they lost track of the fouls or didn't communicate with the officials on the floor. That's just a guess on my part, though.

I hope the link works. It's to one of those slide shows instead of an article.

Best and worst from Syracuse basketball vs. Boston University | syracuse.com
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comical View Post
Regarding the 6 fouls/7 fouls discussion, according to the writer for the Syracuse paper there was a problem related to that in the Syracuse University-Boston University game on December 12th. Apparently SU was awarded two 1-and-1 tries after foul #8 because free throws weren't awarded after the 7th foul of the first half. At least that's what it said in the paper.
If the 8th foul happened and the CE "window" was still open, then they would shoot the unawarded FTs for the 7th foul and then shoot for the 8th foul.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If the 8th foul happened and the CE "window" was still open, then they would shoot the unawarded FTs for the 7th foul and then shoot for the 8th foul.
That makes sense. I've learned from reading posts here that I shouldn't rely on reporters or others in the media when it comes to things about officiating.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 08:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by comical View Post

I wasn't there and didn't watch the game on TV so don't know any more about it. But as someone who's an official scorer at a different school (who rarely posts here), I'm thinking at least part of the problem is that something happened at the table where they lost track of the fouls or didn't communicate with the officials on the floor. That's just a guess on my part, though.

I hope the link works. It's to one of those slide shows instead of an article.

Best and worst from Syracuse basketball vs. Boston University | syracuse.com
Looking at the play-by-play, the same player for BU committed 2 fouls back-to-back at the 8:37 and 8:34 marks. Those were the 5th and 6th team fouls.

At the 7:18 mark BU committed a defensive foul for TF #7, but the Cuse did not shoot any free throws.

At the 6:58 mark, BU committed its 8th team foul and Syracuse shot 2 sets of free throws.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Dec 14, 2016 at 08:53am.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

I always have them run the clocks down to see how they operate. The 30 second clock in some schools sounds odd. You want to know that in a last second shot clock scenario. Had a shot clock go to zero once with no horn. Got together with my partner and decided there must be thenths of a second (which don't show) on the clock. We administer a throw in ... a girl catches and shoots (before the horn) and the ball goes in. Then the horn. Try explaining that one to the other coach. Probably should have called a shot clock violation with the zero on the clock.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Moosie74;994773]How do you go an entire season not being assigned as the referee?

Last season was all sub varsity, and it was never discussed who was the R.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
Probably should have called a shot clock violation with the zero on the clock.
Nope. Wait for the horn.

*Most* shot clocks today will have the horn as soon as the clock hits zero. That is, the clock "rounds up" the time to the next full second.

*Some* shot clocks, and more of the older kind, work like the game clock -- they show the full seconds available. That is, they "round down." So, you could have almost a full second on the shot clock when it shows zero.