The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Administrative Duties of Referee

Starting my 2nd year, and my first varsity game is this Friday (opening night). I am more concerned with all of the administrative duties I will have (since I have been designated the referee), than calling the actual game. Please don’t misunderstand, I am not saying I don’t ever need help with calling a game. If I do this for 30 more years I will still be learning! It’s just that at least I have called games before, but I have never had to check a scorebook, or run a captains meeting, interact with the site manager, or check the court for safety issues, etc….

In the IAABO officials manual, and also in the NFHS rules, there are a lot of things listed that I will be responsible for (such as “check and approve the score”). Any particular ones I should concentrate on, or emphasize? Any other administrative tips? Thanking you all again for all the wonderful things I have learned on this forum!
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Starting my 2nd year, and my first varsity game is this Friday (opening night). I am more concerned with all of the administrative duties I will have (since I have been designated the referee), than calling the actual game. Please don’t misunderstand, I am not saying I don’t ever need help with calling a game. If I do this for 30 more years I will still be learning! It’s just that at least I have called games before, but I have never had to check a scorebook, or run a captains meeting, interact with the site manager, or check the court for safety issues, etc….

In the IAABO officials manual, and also in the NFHS rules, there are a lot of things listed that I will be responsible for (such as “check and approve the score”). Any particular ones I should concentrate on, or emphasize? Any other administrative tips? Thanking you all again for all the wonderful things I have learned on this forum!
Safety issues take care of themselves. You don't need to inspect the court inch by inch, but if you see a missing piece of floorboard you have an issue.

the gist is check the book is ready by 10min mark. This means that all players are in the book and starters listed. In the case of visitors the visitors must have made their list available to the book, ideally I want this in the home book by 10 but here or there the visitor data may not be in the home book but it's been made available. Make sure starters are marked. I chat with the book(s), clock, and shot clock operator in an attempt to gauge their competency.

I introduce myself to the table then go over a few things:

1. The book, that if there are any issues get out attention right away by doing jumping jacks, hitting the horn or yelling for us.
2. Inform the book to make eye contact when we are reporting as I will stand there until they make eye contact, and to let us know when we reach 6 team fouls.
3. Inform the clock operator to watch our hand for the chop and to stop the clock on all whistles (clock operators dont look for the open palm or closed fist, go figure).
4. Review any timing scenarios (i.e. DQ's or injured players) and what the expectation is of the clock operator.
5. Ask the shot clock operator how they deal with jump balls and if there is a reset on a jump ball.
6. Inform the shot clock operator I would rather they be a second late than a second early.

I also have them run the shot clock once so I make sure that the shot clock is set for the correct match and resets to the correct value, plus make sure the shot clock horn works and what the difference in sound it. If there was no game before mine I test the game clock/horn by having them put 5 seconds on the game clock and then back to the amount of time left for warm ups. I don't like having horn/settings issue popup at gametime.

Finally I let them know that any issues with book/clock/etc should be addressed right away and that the longer they wait to bring things to our attention the less likely there will be a accurate resolution.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Perfect - thanks! Starting my list already!
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 01:48pm
TODO: creative title here

Deecee pretty well covered the table communication/meeting.

Here's what I do for meetings:

Captain's meeting: Personally I keep it short because a) they're not paying attention anyway and b) they want to get back to warm-ups.

Get the captains at the 13:00 mark.

Shake hands, introduce yourselves. "Ok, captains, (you'll hear/you're heard it) it all year: big thing for us is sportsmanship. You're the captains for a reason, you know who the troublemakers on your teams are, right? If you can help us out with them so we don't have to, everyone will be happier. Any questions? Ok, good luck"

Coaches meeting: Again, I keep it short, for the same reasons I keep the captain's meeting short. This takes place immediately after the captains meeting.

Shake hands, introduce yourselves. "(You'll hear/You're heard it) it all year: big thing for us is sportsmanship. If you can keep things calmed down before we have to, everyone will be happier. Make sure to get our attention for timeouts, and let us know right away if you want a 30, otherwise we're assuming a full timeout. First horn ends the timeout, second horn we want to be ready to put the ball in play. If there's any questions during the game, we'll be happy to answer as soon as we get a chance, but we're not going to stop the game for it. Any questions now? Ok, please double-check the scorebook and make sure everything's right, and good luck tonight"

If all goes well, meetings are done by the 11:00 mark, so coaches still have time to get the scorebook corrected if necessary.

Congrats on the first varsity assignment... remember the three rules:
1) slow down
2) call the obvious
3) DFIU

Oh, and one more thing... if the score is close (within 10 points in the last few minutes)... at some point during a timeout, get over to the table, double-check that the home book, the visiting book, and the scoreboard all agree on score and foul totals.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 05:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Short And Sweet, And By The Book ...

Coaches and captains meeting: Players properly equipped, Players wearing uniforms properly, Practice good sportsmanship.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 05:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
the gist is check the book is ready by 10min mark. This means that all players are in the book and starters listed. In the case of visitors the visitors must have made their list available to the book, ideally I want this in the home book by 10 but here or there the visitor data may not be in the home book but it's been made available. Make sure starters are marked. I chat with the book(s), clock, and shot clock operator in an attempt to gauge their competency.
The rule only states that they must have the information submitted by 10 minutes. Nothing states that they must be actually in the book at all by that time. And this is often a problem as the person keeping the book is no where to be found after the game before in many cases. And we should not penalize teams because the home assigned person does not do their job in a timely manner.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Rut is correct about the scorebook and team roster requirements.

Also why does he want the table to inform the crew when there are six fouls? Nothing different happens then. The crew needs to be told on seven and ten.

All the testing of the clocks and horns is massive overkill. If I had a partner do that before a game, I would assume that he has OCD and prepare for a long night.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Starting my 2nd year, and my first varsity game is this Friday (opening night).
No one has mentioned this yet, so......Congratulations and good luck!
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Rut is correct about the scorebook and team roster requirements.

Also why does he want the table to inform the crew when there are six fouls? Nothing different happens then. The crew needs to be told on seven and ten.

All the testing of the clocks and horns is massive overkill. If I had a partner do that before a game, I would assume that he has OCD and prepare for a long night.
If you know on 6, then you get the shooter on 7.

Testing the shot clocks is SOP -- way too often (like 2 or 3 times per year) they don't work as expected when tested and this give them tome to be corrected before the game starts.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2016, 10:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If you know on 6, then you get the shooter on 7.

Testing the shot clocks is SOP -- way too often (like 2 or 3 times per year) they don't work as expected when tested and this give them tome to be corrected before the game starts.

This. I've never known anyone who wants to wait till 7 to know. On 6 we're telling each other that the next one we're shooting.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2016, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I've worked HS in CA for ten years now and never once tested a shot clock prior to a game. Never had an issue either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This. I've never known anyone who wants to wait till 7 to know. On 6 we're telling each other that the next one we're shooting.
Officials communicate to each other on six fouls for the reason you and Bob mention, but I've never heard of having the table crew inform the officials on six--just 7 & 10.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2016, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've worked HS in CA for ten years now and never once tested a shot clock prior to a game. Never had an issue either.

Officials communicate to each other on six fouls for the reason you and Bob mention, but I've never heard of having the table crew inform the officials on six--just 7 & 10.
Granted it's not HS, but every single college game I've worked, the CC has had the shot clock operator run down the shot clock to 0. Helpful to see if there are accompanying lights/sound of the horn/decibel level of the horn, etc.

As far as the book...if there's a scoreboard where I know the clock guy will put up the foul count and is good about it, then I won't bother with the instruction. Otherwise, I want the book to tell me at 6...nothing worse than not knowing the bonus situation and having the crew about to put the ball in play...then the table going frantic telling you it's one and one....then having to guess/rely on the honor of the offended team that the correct shooter will go to the line.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 13, 2016, 03:37am
Official Forum Member

Ok, if you are in a gym in which the team foul count is not displayed, then I agree that having notification at six would be helpful. Of course, how many such gyms are there in your area? There are zero where I work.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2016, 08:54am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Ok, if you are in a gym in which the team foul count is not displayed, then I agree that having notification at six would be helpful. Of course, how many such gyms are there in your area? There are zero where I work.
There is one in my area I worked at least 3 times last season, and their team went to the state finals, so they played some important games in that gym.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2016, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Believe it or not the foul count on the scoreboard has been known to not match what's in the book from time to time. Nothing gives me more anxiety than the thought of a CE situation.