The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 01, 2016, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Technical on Inbounder

I had this happen over the weekend. I coach in Arizona and I have tried like hell to find the actual discussion and verbage in the rule book. My player inbounded the ball on a BLOBs situation and then sprinted to the corner and received a pass. Now he had established himself inbounds before he caught the ball. The ref "T's" him up and says he did not enter right away.

First, in my mind he entered, he just didn't step forward, instead he stepped diagnolly which is a straighter line and quicker line to where he was going. He did not run around the OB's line.

Second, is this still a technical foul? I can't find this anywhere in the rule book and I've ran this play for 5 years and this is the first time I've ever gotten a kid T'd up.

Any help is appreciated.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2016, 03:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It is a technical foul for the thrower to not immediately return to the playing court. It's a judgment call for the definition, but my first question is just how far your player ran out of bounds before he came back in.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2016, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

First: BLOP? What is that?

Second: by rule, it is a technical foul for the thrower in staying and delaying returning to the playing floor. Whether the officials were correct or not, video would only prove
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 01, 2016, 03:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Player must enter the court directly. They cannot hang out of bounds or run around out of bounds to create an advantage.

Without seeing it who knows what the officials judged the action to be, but he/she does have support to call a T. It is not called very common, but I have seen it called.

It is also not about running a play, it is about the execution.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 01, 2016, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
First: BLOP? What is that?

Second: by rule, it is a technical foul for the thrower in staying and delaying returning to the playing floor. Whether the officials were correct or not, video would only prove
Ha, he said BLOB not bloP. Rocket scientist here says that means "base line out of bounds play. " If your kid throws ball in and then runs length of baseline, to the corner, then steps in he has delayed entry. T under rules. Many dont know the rule which is likely why you have always gotten away with it. Others, like me, dont like to call that a T and ignore what they can. In college i can call a violation.

By rule offical was likely correct. Need to see video to be certain. If your kid runs out of bounds length of baseline, then steps in I'm likely to blow whistle

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Dec 01, 2016 at 04:08pm.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2016, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
In college i can call a violation.
I (think I ) know in College it's a violation to leave the court, return and be the first to touch the ball.

But, I'm not sure it's a violation to delay returning to the court afger legally being out of bounds.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2016, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I (think I ) know in College it's a violation to leave the court, return and be the first to touch the ball.

But, I'm not sure it's a violation to delay returning to the court afger legally being out of bounds.

Class B technical foul under NCAA-M rules
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 01, 2016, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

I called this just last year. The thrower ran out of bounds around his screening teammate and got a pass for a wide open shot.

If the player returns to the court in an unfairly advantageous position (which is what the rule is intended to prevent), I don't give a warning. If (s)he doesn't gain any advantage from not going directly back inbounds, I'll warn him/her at the next opportunity not to do it again.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2016, 05:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhettel View Post
... find the actual discussion and verbage in the rule book ... I can't find this anywhere in the rule book ...
10-3-2: A player shall not: Purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out
of bounds.

10.3.2 SITUATION A: A1 has the ball out of bounds for a throw-in. A1 completes
the throw-in to A2 and then purposefully delays his/her return by taking
four or five steps along the end line prior to coming inbounds behind a screen set
by A3 and A4. A1 gets a return pass from A2 and takes an unchallenged try for
goal. RULING: A1 is charged with a technical foul for purposefully delaying
his/her return to the court following the throw-in. A1’s movement out of bounds
along the end line was to take advantage of the screen and return to the court in
a more advantageous position.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 02, 2016, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

He does not delay entering. He does however probably take one maybe two steps in which he could be "partially running out of bounds. I mean it is literally an OB's play where we make a pass to sideline top, he sprints to the corner for a pass and shot. By the time he catches it, he has already established himself and it's not running down the Baseline out of bounds and then stepping in.

I do appreciate the person who actually cited the rule book. However what rule book is that? I have looked up and down the NFHS rule book for 2016-17 and can't find this at all. I did find a few things back in 07-08 where it said if you go out of bounds legally, and delay coming back in to gain an advantage it's a T. However that says nothing about a throw-in and if you don't take your first step in bounds it's a technical.

Here's a link to the play.

https://app.krossover.com/r/2fog
Old Fri Dec 02, 2016, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhettel View Post
I do appreciate the person who actually cited the rule book. However what rule book is that? I have looked up and down the NFHS rule book for 2016-17 and can't find this at all.

https://app.krossover.com/r/2fog
The first part (10-3-2) is from the rules book. The second part (10.3.2) is from the case book.

It's possible that the sections have changed a bit since this rule was re-organized.

Viewing the video, the official was over-zealous in making this call. imo, of course.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2016, 08:48am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
With so much to concentrate on and watch in a game, I'm not calling this. IMO, OOO.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2016, 09:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
10-3-2: A player shall not: Purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out
of bounds.

10.3.2 SITUATION A: A1 has the ball out of bounds for a throw-in. A1 completes
the throw-in to A2 and then purposefully delays his/her return by taking
four or five steps along the end line prior to coming inbounds behind a screen set
by A3 and A4. A1 gets a return pass from A2 and takes an unchallenged try for
goal. RULING: A1 is charged with a technical foul for purposefully delaying
his/her return to the court following the throw-in. A1’s movement out of bounds
along the end line was to take advantage of the screen and return to the court in
a more advantageous position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The first part (10-3-2) is from the rules book. The second part (10.3.2) is from the case book.

It's possible that the sections have changed a bit since this rule was re-organized.

Viewing the video, the official was over-zealous in making this call. imo, of course.
In the 2016-17 books, it's 10-4-2 and 10.4.2.

Billy, you need to note when you are using an outdated reference.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2016, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

I'd rather see a call on White 10 for an illegal screen.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2016, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
I'd rather see a call on White 10 for an illegal screen.
There was certainly potential for an illegal screen -- but it didn't really happen in this play.
Closed Thread