The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 30, 2016, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

If I saw this play on the court, I would have nothing. The ball is last touched by visitors (black) and the home (white) player makes a defensive steal and is allowed to come down in the back court.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2016, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post
If I saw this play on the court, I would have nothing. The ball is last touched by visitors (black) and the home (white) player makes a defensive steal and is allowed to come down in the back court.
Robert,

Id likely have nothing because it is so close and wouldnt be able to tell or process fast enough. Read earlier portions of the thread. The jump ball ended and white was the first team to control the ball. White is the offense. Black touching it does not make it the offense. The defensive exception does not apply. See basketball rules fundamentals in beginning of book. Offense is the team in control of ball. Here, no team in control until white caught it. By rule white cannot be deemed as the defense.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2016, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

I was just reading NFHS 9-9-3 and NCAA 9-12-10, and observed something.

During a jump ball, throw-in or while on defense, a player may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt. (NFHS 9-9-3)

After a jump ball or during a throw-in, the player in his frontcourt, who makes the initial touch on the ball while both feet are off the playing court, may be the first to secure control of the ball and land with one or both feet in the backcourt. It makes no difference if the first foot down was in the frontcourt or backcourt. (NCAA 9-12-10)

So, the wording of the rules with relation to if this action occurs right after a jump ball ends would seem to imply that this would be a legal play in NCAA, and not legal under NFHS. Interesting.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2016, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post

During a jump ball, throw-in or while on defense, a player may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt. (NFHS 9-9-3)

After a jump ball or during a throw-in, the player in his frontcourt, who makes the initial touch on the ball while both feet are off the playing court, may be the first to secure control of the ball and land with one or both feet in the backcourt. It makes no difference if the first foot down was in the frontcourt or backcourt. (NCAA 9-12-10)

So, the wording of the rules with relation to if this action occurs right after a jump ball ends would seem to imply that this would be a legal play in NCAA, and not legal under NFHS. Interesting.

Different wording, same ruling. Still a violation for this play.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2016, 07:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post
You're just wrong on the rule. Touching by black doesn't constitute team control, so it doesn't make white "defense." That exception does not apply.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2016, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Different wording, same ruling. Still a violation for this play.
Explain.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2016, 05:54am
Official Forum Member

White was not the initial toucher. So he was not covered under the exemption.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2016, 08:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

If I see this and am sure, I call it.

I just don't think I see this from the 28' with 100% clarity -- I watched it 2-3 times here to be sure myself...and that's in my chair.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2016, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post

The player in question was also not the first to touch the ball.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2016, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
White was not the initial toucher. So he was not covered under the exemption.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The player in question was also not the first to touch the ball.

Yeah, I'm really dumb.