The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 28, 2016, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

What?....

Team A scores. Prior to the ball being at the disposal of Team B, a double technical foul is committed. The official awards the ball to Team B for a throw-in and rules Team B may move along the end line. Is the official correct?

Yes, the official is correct because the ball wasn't at the disposal of Team B?
Old Mon Nov 28, 2016, 01:29pm
Archaic Power Monger

The ball being at the disposal of Team B doesn't matter. Either way they are entitled to run the endline for the subsequent throw in.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2016, 03:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Team A scores. Prior to the ball being at the disposal of Team B, a double technical foul is committed. The official awards the ball to Team B for a throw-in and rules Team B may move along the end line. Is the official correct?

Yes, the official is correct because the ball wasn't at the disposal of Team B?
Why would it matter? Double T's go to POI. POI is either a made basket by Team A or its subsequent throw-in.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2016, 03:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

What those two guys said. They're smart.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2016, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

There are a couple oc case plays in the section 4-double fouls where a DF is called during a try and the team gets to run the end-line. I'd say that's close enough to your play,

I'm not sure NCAAW would have the same ruling.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2016, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
There are a couple oc case plays in the section 4-double fouls where a DF is called during a try and the team gets to run the end-line. I'd say that's close enough to your play,

I'm not sure NCAAW would have the same ruling.
This is the exact reasoning that I used for the play, but was told you can't run the end line, period, if something more the a common foul. Was brought up in a small group before the high school group meeting before the season starts and it was me vs 3 vets who thought they couldn't run it after a double T.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2016, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
This is the exact reasoning that I used for the play, but was told you can't run the end line, period, if something more the a common foul. Was brought up in a small group before the high school group meeting before the season starts and it was me vs 3 vets who thought they couldn't run it after a double T.
Rule 4 plays deal with shot in the air. Double foul (Blarge occurs.). Poi is where we are when ball becomes dead. If ball goes in, endline throwin..running. If missed arrow.

Rule 7 says if a team commits common foul or violation before throw in ends and ensuing throw in b on endline they retain right to run. A double foul is not a common foul. Sine the ball is through the basket in this play does rule 7 now take precedence over 4-36? Poi. (Rule 7 presumes ball is already through net. I don't necessarily think it requires ball to be at disposal. It says common foul or violation before the throwin ends. Doesn't say during the throw in).

Does POI mean same type of throwin....running endline...
Old Wed Nov 30, 2016, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Does POI mean same type of throwin....running endline...
Yes, same as if the POI were an AP throw-in. Resume with the AP throw-in.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2016, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Yes, same as if the POI were an AP throw-in. Resume with the AP throw-in.
Sounds simple enough But,

Why does rule 7 say a team retains the right to run the end line if a COMMON foul or violation occurs before the throw in ends and the ensuing throw in would be on end line?

More importantly, why doesn't it also say after a double foul team retains right to run the baseline if the ensuing throw in be on end line?
Old Thu Dec 01, 2016, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sounds simple enough But,

Why does rule 7 say a team retains the right to run the end line if a COMMON foul or violation occurs before the throw in ends and the ensuing throw in would be on end line?
If it happens to be an intentional or flagrant foul, that throwin will occur after the FTs are taken. I guess they figured the FTs were enough of a penalty that they don't need the ability to run the endline too.

The right to still run the endline is there so that the team that committed the infraction doesn't come out with an advantage by committing the infraction.

Quote:
More importantly, why doesn't it also say after a double foul team retains right to run the baseline if the ensuing throw in be on end line?
That is implied in POI....you go back to whatever was occurring at the time. If that was a throwin with the right to run the endline, that is what you do.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2016, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If it happens to be an intentional or flagrant foul, that throwin will occur after the FTs are taken. I guess they figured the FTs were enough of a penalty that they don't need the ability to run the endline too.

The right to still run the endline is there so that the team that committed the infraction doesn't come out with an advantage by committing the infraction.
I'd venture it's more of an oversight than anything intentional...cause a team committing a foul worthy of an upgrade, IMO, deserves no benefit of the doubt.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 01, 2016, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I'd venture it's more of an oversight than anything intentional...cause a team committing a foul worthy of an upgrade, IMO, deserves no benefit of the doubt.
We've had this discussion before -- and the NFHS came out with an interp that made it clear that when there was a single foul only on a common foul (and not an I or F) would the team retain the right to run the end-line.

From 2004-2005:
SITUATION 6: Team A scores a field goal. B1 picks up the ball and steps out of bounds at the end line to prepare for a throw-in. Before the throw-in is completed, A2 is called for an intentional (or flagrant) foul on B3 near the end line. RULING: B3 would shoot the two free throws for the intentional (or flagrant) foul with the lane cleared. Team B will then have a designated spot throw-in on the end line. (7-5-7, 7-5-11)

Last edited by bob jenkins; Thu Dec 01, 2016 at 09:20am.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2016, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
We've had this discussion before -- and the NFHS came out with an interp that made it clear that when there was a single foul only on a common foul (and not an I or F) would the team retain the right to run the end-line.

From 2004-2005:
SITUATION 6: Team A scores a field goal. B1 picks up the ball and steps out of bounds at the end line to prepare for a throw-in. Before the throw-in is completed, A2 is called for an intentional (or flagrant) foul on B3 near the end line. RULING: B3 would shoot the two free throws for the intentional (or flagrant) foul with the lane cleared. Team B will then have a designated spot throw-in on the end line. (7-5-7, 7-5-11)
Well the reasoning makes absolutely no sense to me. The offended team should never have their privileges taken away because of the illegal actions of their opponent...especially when their illegal actions are deemed to be more than the "norm."

Edit: Furthermore, it seems that NFHS is added an exception...when they do their best to not add exceptions in the name of simplicity...unless the exception is needed. No one has ever said...let's take away the privilege to use the entire endline after an upgraded foul in the situation presented above.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Thu Dec 01, 2016 at 12:38pm. Reason: additional commentary
Old Thu Dec 01, 2016, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Well the reasoning makes absolutely no sense to me. The offended teams should never have their privileges taken away because of the illegal actions of their opponent...especially when their illegal actions are deemed to be more than the "norm."
Add it to the list….(the no sense list)