The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 31, 2016, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Bc?

This is a question from the IAABO Refresher.

#5- A1 dribbling in the front court when B1 deflects the ball away from A1. the ball is rolling toward the back court and is picked up by A2 who is straddling the division line. The official rules a back court violation. Is the official correct?

I say YES!. The test answer says NO. rule 9-9-1

SECTION 9 BACKCOURT
ART. 1 . . . A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

What am I missing. The ball never went into the BC until A2 touched it. BC Violatiuon, right?
Old Mon Oct 31, 2016, 07:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Fourth Element ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
... B1 deflects the ball away from A1. The ball is rolling toward the back court
Who was the last to touch the ball before it went into the backcourt?

The four elements for having a backcourt violation are: there must be team control (and initial player control
when coming from a throw-in); the ball must have achieved frontcourt status; the team in team control must
be the last to touch the ball before it goes into the backcourt; that same team must be the first to touch after
the ball has been in the backcourt.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Oct 31, 2016, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Other than that old interpretation about causing the ball to have backcourt status (which most officials agree is bogus), this is not a backcourt violation.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2016, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is a question from the IAABO Refresher.

#5- A1 dribbling in the front court when B1 deflects the ball away from A1. the ball is rolling toward the back court and is picked up by A2 who is straddling the division line. The official rules a back court violation. Is the official correct?

I say YES!. The test answer says NO. rule 9-9-1

SECTION 9 BACKCOURT
ART. 1 . . . A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

What am I missing. The ball never went into the BC until A2 touched it. BC Violatiuon, right?
Let's keep this simple and just focus on player location. A2 is straddling the division line, so he is touching the backcourt and therefore has backcourt player location.
Now shift A2 such that he is straddling the FT line in the backcourt. He still has the same backcourt player location. If the ball was batted into the air by B1 and flew all the way back to A2 before being caught, would you penalize Team A?

Don't get confused by the optics of the situation. A2 did not last touch the ball before it went to the backcourt. He only was the first to touch it in the backcourt. Therefore, one of the elements of a backcourt violation is missing.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2016, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Now shift A2 such that he is straddling the FT line in the backcourt. He still has the same backcourt player location. If the ball was batted into the air by B1 and flew all the way back to A2 before being caught, would you penalize Team A?

Don't get confused by the optics of the situation.

Very well described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Nov 05, 2016, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

We discussed this for quite awhile the other night. The group answer was yes, the state interpreter says yes, Peter Webb says yes, the committee is wrong. Expect it to be clarified soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old Sat Nov 05, 2016, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Wow! Thank you guys so much
Old Sun Nov 06, 2016, 11:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

Gimme That Old Time Religion, It's Good Enough For Me …

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
... that old interpretation ...
2007-2008 Rules Interpretation: SITUATION 10: A1, in the team's frontcourt, passes to A2, also in the team's frontcourt. B1 deflects the ball toward Team A's backcourt. The ball bounces only in Team A's frontcourt before crossing the division line. While the ball is still in the air over Team A's backcourt, but never having touched in Team A's backcourt, A2 gains possession of the ball while standing in Team A's backcourt. RULING: Backcourt violation on Team A. Team A was still in team control and caused the ball to have backcourt status. Had A2 permitted the ball to bounce in the backcourt after having been deflected by B1, there would have been no backcourt violation. (4-4-1; 4-4-3; 9-9-1)

2016-17 IAABO Refresher Exam #5 A1 dribbling in the front court when B1 deflects the ball away from A1. The ball is rolling toward the back court and is picked up by A2 who is straddling the division line. The official rules a back court violation. Is the official correct? NO. Rule 9-9-1

The four elements for having a backcourt violation are: there must be team control (and initial player control
when coming from a throw-in); the ball must have achieved frontcourt status; the team in team control must
be the last to touch the ball before it goes into the backcourt; that same team must be the first to touch after
the ball has been in the backcourt.

"What's it gonna be boy?" (Paradise by the Dashboard Light, Meatloaf, 1977)

"Fish, cut bait, or get out of the boat." (School and Home, 1895)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 07, 2016 at 07:04am.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2016, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
We discussed this for quite awhile the other night. The group answer was yes, the state interpreter says yes, Peter Webb says yes, the committee is wrong. Expect it to be clarified soon.

What was it they said yes to?
Old Mon Nov 07, 2016, 11:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

"The committee?" As in the rule committee? The IAABO committee?

Let me pose a situation:

A1 dribbling near the division line, standing in the back court. B1 standing completely in the front court guarding A1.
B1 slaps the ball out of A1's control (ball now has FC status) into the BC where A2 catches it (it never bounced in the BC prior to A2's catch).

Is this a BC violation?
Old Mon Nov 07, 2016, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

Let me pose a situation:

A1 dribbling near the division line, standing in the back court. B1 standing completely in the front court guarding A1.
B1 slaps the ball out of A1's control (ball now has FC status and is still in control of Team A) into the BC where A2 catches it (it never bounced in the BC prior to A2's catch).

Is this a BC violation?
And you could add this so newer officials are aware.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2016, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

Let me pose a situation:

B1 slaps the ball out of A1's control (ball now has FC status) into the BC where A2 catches it (it never bounced in the BC prior to A2's catch).

Is this a BC violation?
A2 wouldn't even have to catch the ball. B1 would only need to bat the ball such that it struck A1 or A2 for a violation to occur, if that interpretation were valid. That would be nonsense.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2016, 10:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
A2 wouldn't even have to catch the ball. B1 would only need to bat the ball such that it struck A1 or A2 for a violation to occur, if that interpretation were valid. That would be nonsense.
Good point.
Old Sat Nov 26, 2016, 11:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Refresher Exam Update ...

Quote:
This is a question from the IAABO Refresher.#5- A1 dribbling in the front court when B1 deflects the ball away from A1. the ball is rolling toward the back court and is picked up by A2 who is straddling the division line. The official rules a back court violation. Is the official correct? The test answer says NO. rule 9-9-1
Quote:
We discussed this for quite awhile the other night. The group answer was yes, the state interpreter says yes, Peter Webb says yes ... Expect it to be clarified soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
2007-2008 Rules Interpretation: SITUATION 10: A1, in the team's frontcourt, passes to A2, also in the team's frontcourt. B1 deflects the ball toward Team A's backcourt. The ball bounces only in Team A's frontcourt before crossing the division line. While the ball is still in the air over Team A's backcourt, but never having touched in Team A's backcourt, A2 gains possession of the ball while standing in Team A's backcourt. RULING: Backcourt violation on Team A. Team A was still in team control and caused the ball to have backcourt status. Had A2 permitted the ball to bounce in the backcourt after having been deflected by B1, there would have been no backcourt violation. (4-4-1; 4-4-3; 9-9-1)
Our IAABO state interpreter has stated that the correct Refresher Exam answer should be YES.

(That's IAABO, not NFHS. Check you local listings.)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 26, 2016 at 02:32pm.