The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 15, 2016, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Moving into vacant lane spaces

For the past several years (I don't know how long) my State has not permitted players to move into lane spaces left vacant by the team entitled to them. I believe that we started by being an Fed experiment and we just never went back. Because of that, I haven't really followed Rule 8-4 and any changes that might have occurred in the last 10 years or so.

My question is has there been any changes to rule 8-4 in the recent past. If so, when? For how long?
Old Sat Oct 15, 2016, 11:08am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
For the past several years (I don't know how long) my State has not permitted players to move into lane spaces left vacant by the team entitled to them. I believe that we started by being an Fed experiment and we just never went back. Because of that, I haven't really followed Rule 8-4 and any changes that might have occurred in the last 10 years or so.

My question is has there been any changes to rule 8-4 in the recent past. If so, when? For how long?
Not that I care to take DeNucci's place as Rule Historian and Archivist, here's how Rule 8-1-4 read back in the 2006-07 book and you can at least compare that to this year's book and what your state has adopted since then:

Art. 4 During a free throw when lane spaces may be occupied:
a. Marked lane spaces may be occupied by a maximum of four defensive and two offensive players.
b. The first marked lane spaces (the lane spaces adjacent to the end line) shall be occupied by opponents of the free thrower. No teammate of the free thrower shall occupy either of these marked lane spaces.
c. The second marked lane spaces on each side may be occupied by teammates of the free thrower.
d. The third marked lane spaces may be occupied by opponents of the free thrower.
e. Players shall be permitted to move along and across the lane to occupy a vacant space within the limitations listed in this rule.
f. Not more than one player may occupy any part of a marked lane space.
Old Sat Oct 15, 2016, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Not that I care to take DeNucci's place as Rule Historian and Archivist, here's how Rule 8-1-4 read back in the 2006-07 book and you can at least compare that to this year's book and what your state has adopted since then:

Art. 4 During a free throw when lane spaces may be occupied:
a. Marked lane spaces may be occupied by a maximum of four defensive and two offensive players.
b. The first marked lane spaces (the lane spaces adjacent to the end line) shall be occupied by opponents of the free thrower. No teammate of the free thrower shall occupy either of these marked lane spaces.
c. The second marked lane spaces on each side may be occupied by teammates of the free thrower.
d. The third marked lane spaces may be occupied by opponents of the free thrower.
e. Players shall be permitted to move along and across the lane to occupy a vacant space within the limitations listed in this rule.
f. Not more than one player may occupy any part of a marked lane space.
I haven't compared them but I think the only difference between this set and the current rules is the first spot, below the block, is eliminated. Need to go back further.
Need Mark to get in the attic and look. (Instead of all the excuses why he can't go up there)....
Old Sat Oct 15, 2016, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I haven't compared them but I think the only difference between this set and the current rules is the first spot, below the block, is eliminated. Need to go back further.
Need Mark to get in the attic and look. (Instead of all the excuses why he can't go up there)....

Used to be 4 and 4 (back in the days of crowded lanes) and now it's 4 and 2. Big Cat is right in that the most recent change didn't adjust 4 and 2 but simply eliminated the first lane space.

As far as I'm aware, as long as there are at least two defenders in the lowest spaces, pretty much anything else goes as long as the totals don't exceed 4 and 2 and offensive players who want to be in the second spaces are permitted to be there.

Not sure why a state would go out of its way to alter this concept, experimentally or otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Oct 16, 2016, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

NCAA (at least W; I don't recall for certain about M) had a similar rule for a couple of years.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2016, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

I have a lot of old books laying around here and I went back and found a change in 2003-2004 limiting the number from 8 to 6. And, requiring the space next to the shooter to be vacant. I am missing years 2008, 2009 and 2010. But, in 2011 I saw that a space had been eliminated closer to the end line making only 6 spots available, but I'm really not sure if that change started in 08, 09 or 10???. Is there an electronic way to access rules changes in 08, 09 or 10?

Bottom line, permitting movement to a vacant space has been in force for a long time????

Thanks for your help.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2016, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
NCAA (at least W; I don't recall for certain about M) had a similar rule for a couple of years.
Our state is going back to the present Fed rule. Nobody seems to know when or how this got started but I believe we participated in that experiment and liked it. I don't know why GHSA doesn't like it now? It is almost like we have just discovered that a "mistake" has been made in applying the rule the experimental way????
Old Sun Oct 16, 2016, 08:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
Our state is going back to the present Fed rule. Nobody seems to know when or how this got started but I believe we participated in that experiment and liked it. I don't know why GHSA doesn't like it now? It is almost like we have just discovered that a "mistake" has been made in applying the rule the experimental way????
Must be time for a seat on the rules committee.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2016, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Must be time for a seat on the rules committee.
I like the way that you think.......
Old Sun Oct 16, 2016, 12:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

With Apologies to Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Not that I care to take DeNucci's place as Rule Historian and Archivist ...
In other words, the 2,000-Year-Old Man.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)