The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 13, 2016, 04:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Yes, as long as it is the first time out called after regulation ends it would not be considered successive. Only the extra timeout granted at end of regulation cannot be used before ball becomes live.
In this case, it seems to me that the timeout should be granted in the OP. I'd have to double check the rule and case play, but unless the case play specifically states that in this situation the timeout cannot be granted at the expense of the technical foul, we should grant it.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2016, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
In this case, it seems to me that the timeout should be granted in the OP. I'd have to double check the rule and case play, but unless the case play specifically states that in this situation the timeout cannot be granted at the expense of the technical foul, we should grant it.
Normally, if a coach or a player calls timeout, say during the 4th qtr, and doesnt have one left, we grant the TO and it IS a T. They cant take it back. I think the case play 5.11.5b is there to address a situation where a coach,after he is told he has another timeout, says he wants to use it then and there and calls timeout. We are not supposed to say "fine its granted and now you have a T." We are to say the TO is not granted because the extra timeout we gave you cannot be used until the ball becomes live in OT.
This is likely where the case play stops because no coach in his right mind is going to persist and say well i want another TO at the expense of a technical. It just wont happen. The team could foul the moment the ball was tossed if they wanted to. Then use the extra TO.

If a coach was dumb enough to ask for another TO after learning he cant use the extra one i might let him. Not sure though that it meets the definition of an "excess" timeout as i mentioned earlier. Thx

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Oct 13, 2016 at 05:07pm.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2016, 05:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Normally, if a coach or a player calls timeout, say during the 4th qtr, and doesnt have one left, we grant the TO and it IS a T. They cant take it back. I think the case play 5.11.5b is there to address a situation where a coach,after he is told he has another timeout, says he wants to use it then and there and calls timeout. We are not supposed to say "fine its granted and now you have a T." We are to say the TO is not granted because the extra timeout we gave you cannot be used until the ball becomes live in OT.
This is likely where the case play stops because no coach in his right mind is going to persist and say well i want another TO at the expense of a technical. It just wont happen. The team could foul the moment the ball was tossed if they wanted to. Then use the extra TO.

If a coach was dumb enough to ask for another TO after learning he cant use the extra one i might let him.
I agree. I think it's meant to stop a coach from accidentally costing himself a T, but if a coach asks for the TO knowing full well the cost, I'd be inclined to grant it.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2016, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

BigCat. That was the exact conversation we were having while discussing this. The kicker being what would you do if the coach insisted on the timeout at the expense of a T.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2016, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv28 View Post
BigCat. That was the exact conversation we were having while discussing this. The kicker being what would you do if the coach insisted on the timeout at the expense of a T.
I don't think it will ever happen because there just isn't any benefit for a coach to start an OT with a T. If someone really wants the TO for a T I'm not going to fight to protect him from himself. I'd give it to him and wouldn't worry if it was covered by rule to do it.

It might not clearly be an "excess" timeout but I just wouldn't worry about it. If I try to deny it I risk causing a blowup over trying to prevent him from doing something stupid. Give him his TO and the other team 2 shots and the ball.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2016, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv28 View Post
I rarely give coaches strategy advice, but I'd be tempted to say:
"Coach, have one or more of your players commit a jump ball violation after the ball leaves my hand. Then you can call a timeout. Yes, you lose the jump ball (which would also happen with a TF), but it saves you two free throws and I don't have to ignore any rules."
Old Fri Oct 14, 2016, 08:36am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I rarely give coaches strategy advice, but I'd be tempted to say:
"Coach, have one or more of your players commit a jump ball violation after the ball leaves my hand. Then you can call a timeout. Yes, you lose the jump ball (which would also happen with a TF), but it saves you two free throws and I don't have to ignore any rules."
You would say all that?

I would think it's pretty simple. "By rule we cannot not grant you that timeout until OT commences."
Old Fri Oct 14, 2016, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

No. I said I would be tempted to say it.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2016, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

All I want to know is why the coach wanted to give the other team two points.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2016, 03:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Also My Exact Words ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
"By rule we cannot not grant you that timeout until OT commences."
Agree.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)