The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 12, 2016, 01:34pm
This IS My Social Life

2016-17 NFHS Interpretations

Basketball Rules Interpretations - 2016-17
By NFHS on October 10, 2016

Publisher’s Note: The National Federation of State High School Associations is the only source of official high school interpretations. They do not set aside nor modify any rule. They are made and published by the NFHS in response to situations presented.

Robert B. Gardner, Publisher, NFHS Publications © 2016

Rules Book Corrections: Page 59, Rule 9-12, Penalties (Section 11 – 12) 10-3-9 should be 10-4-9; Page 68, State Association Adoptions #2 NOTE 10-5-1a should be 10-6-1a; Page 71, Technical Foul Penalty Chart, Head Coach 20 seconds should read 15 seconds.

Case Book Corrections: Page 19, 3.3.5 Situation B change 20 seconds to 15 seconds; Page 20, 3.3.6 Situation C change 0 seconds to 15 seconds; Page 41, 5.4.19 change 20 seconds to 15 seconds; Page 76, 9.12 Situation B Ruling Correction; A2 has committed a goaltending violation. No points can be scored. Since this goaltending violation occurred during a free throw, the penalty is a technical foul. Team B will
be awarded two free throws and a throw-in from the division line opposite the scorer and timer table. (4-22; 10-4-9 PENALTY)

Arm Bar: An arm bent across one’s chest is an arm bar. When a defender has the bent arm across his/her chest and on the offensive player with no exertion, there is no foul. When a defender uses this bent arm and extends it out away from the chest to push an offensive player away or to control his/her movement, it is illegal and a foul should be ruled.

SITUATION 1: A6 has reported to enter the game. A6 is wearing an undershirt that contains a visible logo “Nike Pro Combat” with dimensions that do not meet those of 2¼ square inches and not exceed 2¼ inches in any dimension. RULING: The official should instruct the coach and the player that he/she will not be able to wear the undershirt because the “Nike Pro Combat” logo exceeds the allowable size dimensions. The player will need to leave the bench and go to the locker room to remove the undershirt. (3-5-6)

SITUATION 2: B2 is in a marked lane space after free thrower A1 releases a final free-throw attempt. B2 enters the free-throw semicircle before the ball strikes the ring, contacting A1, whose free-throw attempt is unsuccessful. The official rules a foul on B4 and awards A1 bonus free throws as B4’s foul is the eighth team foul. RULING: The official was correct to rule a foul on B4 — illegal contact occurred. However, the official was incorrect to only award bonus free throws. B4 committed a delayed free-throw violation and A1 should have been given a substitute free throw with the lane cleared prior to the administration of
the bonus free throws. Play resumes with the result of A1’s bonus free throws. NFHS/Referee Basketball Preseason Guide 2016. (9-1 PENALTIES 2b)

SITUATION 3: The spirit group/cheerleaders move onto the playing court during a time-out. RULING: The referee shall remove the spirit group/cheerleaders from the court and inform the group’s captain of the reason for removal. (1-20)

SITUATION 4: A spirit group member(s) or a photographer has set-up within the free-throw lane lines extended area. RULING: The lead official shall request the group member(s) or photographer to move from
the restricted area. (1-20)

SITUATION 5: The media person or spirit group member(s) is located toward the sideline completely outside of the free-throw lane line extended area. RULING: The location of the spirit group member(s) and/or
media person is legal. (1-20)

NOTE for SITUATIONS 3, 4, 5: Should the spirit group, photographer, etc., not be cooperative, the referee shall request the athletic administrator or game site manager to address the situation.

SITUATION 6: Team’s school colors are blue and gold and the predominant color of the team’s jerseys is white. Prior to the game, an official observes that several team members are wearing beige pre-wrap around the entire head and blue wristbands. RULING: The headband and wristbands do not meet the color requirements. The official should notify the coach that the headbands and wristbands must be removed because they do not meet the color requirements. NOTE: Pre-wrap when worn around the head is considered to be a headband and must meet the color requirements. Pre-wrap when worn around the hair, such as a ponytail, is a hair-control device. (3-5-4)

SITUATION 7: A1 has been disqualified from the game for committing his/her fifth foul or a flagrant foul. The coach of Team A is notified and then the official instructs the timer to begin the replacement period. The player is then notified of the disqualification. The coach of Team A rises from the bench and (a) talks until the sounding of the warning horn with the remaining four players who have gathered near the boundary; (b) immediately sends A6 to the table to report in. The coach then gathers the players at the sideline for a conference; or (c) sends A6 towards the table but the time indicates the 15 seconds have expired before A6 gets there. RULING: Legal in (a), as long as a substitute reports before the 15 seconds lapsed. In (b), play will resume as soon as A6 has reported to the scorer. In (c), a technical foul is charged directly to the head coach. It is not an administrative technical. (2-12-5; 10-6-2)

SITUATION 8: A1 is fouled prior to the bonus, but erroneously A1 is awarded the one-and-one penalty. The error is discovered: (a) after A1’s first free throw is successful; (b) after both free throws are successful; (c) after B1 has the ball for a throw-in following the second successful free throw; (d) after B2 has control of the throw-in pass from B1 following the second successful free throw; (e) after B1 has
secured the rebound following A1’s unsuccessful second free throw. RULING: In (a) and (b), the successful free throw(s) is canceled. Team A is awarded a throw-in at the spot out-ofbounds nearest to where B1 originally fouled. In (c), the successful free throws are canceled. Since the throw-in that was underway is the result of the successful free throws, it is also canceled. The point of interruption is the foul by B1. Team A is awarded a throw-in at the spot out-of-bounds nearest to where B1 originally fouled. In (d) and (e), the successful free throws are canceled. Play resumes with a throw-in awarded to Team B since Team B had the ball inbounds when the game was interrupted for the correction. (2-10; 4-36)

SITUATION 9: Player A1 has the ball at his/her disposal for a single free throw when A2 steps into the lane and then pushes B1. RULING: The ball became dead when A2 violated the lane and the official rules a violation on A2 and disallows the free throw attempt by A1. The push by A2 may be considered incidental and the ball awarded to Team B for a throw-in at the nearest spot. (9-1 PENALTIES 1)

SITUATION 10: A technical foul is issued at the start of the game on Team A and the game begins with free throws. Team B brings in substitute B6 to shoot the free throw. RULING: Legal substitute. The ball becomes live to start the game when placed at the disposal of B6. B6 and B5 are subject to proper substitution rules. B5 may not re-enter until the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been
properly started. (3-2-2a, 3-3-4)

SITUATION 11: Team A is awarded an alternating-possession throw-in. After A1 releases the ball, B1 commits a kicking violation. RULING: A1’s throw-in has ended because of B1’s kicking violation. A new throw-in is awarded to Team A at the spot out-of-bounds nearest to where the kicking violation occurred. NOTE: Because the defensive team committed a violation during the alternating-possession throwin, the alternating-possession arrow is not switched.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2016, 05:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Cheerleaders ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
SITUATION 3: The spirit group/cheerleaders move onto the playing court during a time-out. RULING: The referee shall remove the spirit group/cheerleaders from the court and inform the group’s captain of the reason for removal. (1-20)
What? I thought that this was only true for a thirty second timeout, not a sixty second timeout?

5-11-3: A single 30-second charged time-out shall not exceed 30 seconds
and players shall remain standing within the time-out area. A warning signal for
teams to prepare to resume play is sounded with 15 seconds remaining. No oncourt
entertainment should occur during this time.

1-20 NEW: Non-playing personnel, e.g., spirit participants, media, shall remain outside of the playing area during a 30-second or less time-out during the game.
Non-playing personnel shall stand outside the free throw lane lines extended toward the sidelines throughout the game.
Rationale: Making officials aware of the standards set for the spirit participants allows the official to manage them when they may not be in an appropriate place.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Oct 12, 2016, 07:05pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
SITUATION 2: B2 is in a marked lane space after free thrower A1 releases a final free-throw attempt. B2 enters the free-throw semicircle before the ball strikes the ring, contacting A1, whose free-throw attempt is unsuccessful. The official rules a foul on B4 and awards A1 bonus free throws as B4’s foul is the eighth team foul. RULING: The official was correct to rule a foul on B4 — illegal contact occurred. However, the official was incorrect to only award bonus free throws. B4 committed a delayed free-throw violation and A1 should have been given a substitute free throw with the lane cleared prior to the administration of the bonus free throws. Play resumes with the result of A1’s bonus free throws. NFHS/Referee Basketball Preseason Guide 2016. (9-1 PENALTIES 2b)
Why is B4 getting the foul instead of B2?

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Oct 12, 2016, 07:52pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Why is B4 getting the foul instead of B2?
Besides this obvious mistake, as well as the one Billy Mac mentioned above, there are at least two others:

"Page 20, 3.3.6 Situation C change 0 seconds to 15 seconds" should read "20 seconds."
"5.4.19 change 20 seconds to 15 seconds" should read "5.4.1A".

At least their situation 11 validates the concept suggested by one of our contributors that 6-4-5 makes the omission of "legally" in 4-42-5a a moot point.

And their total "Ruling Correction" 9.12 Situation B solved that error.

Anything else erroneous in the new books solved by these "Interpretations" (= "Corrections")?

At work I'd get fired for errors like this. Charitably speaking, the NFHS committee to really needs to review their review process and publishing quality control.

Last edited by Freddy; Wed Oct 12, 2016 at 07:57pm.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2016, 09:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Besides this obvious mistake, as well as the one Billy Mac mentioned above, there are at least two others:

"Page 20, 3.3.6 Situation C change 0 seconds to 15 seconds" should read "20 seconds."
"5.4.19 change 20 seconds to 15 seconds" should read "5.4.1A".

At least their situation 11 validates the concept suggested by one of our contributors that 6-4-5 makes the omission of "legally" in 4-42-5a a moot point.

And their total "Ruling Correction" 9.12 Situation B solved that error.

Anything else erroneous in the new books solved by these "Interpretations" (= "Corrections")?

At work I'd get fired for errors like this. Charitably speaking, the NFHS committee to really needs to review their review process and publishing quality control.
But we know what they really want, so it's no big deal.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2016, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Can't agree with the rulings in Situation 8 due to the text of rule 2-10.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2016, 06:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
But we know what they really want, so it's no big deal.
Pretty much.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 17, 2016, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Can't agree with the rulings in Situation 8 due to the text of rule 2-10.
Care to elaborate?
Old Mon Oct 17, 2016, 10:16am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Care to elaborate?
SITUATION 8, RULINGS (d) and (e) seem to be incorrect. Each error seems to have been discovered no later than the first dead ball after the clock had properly started. And the point of interruption to rectify the error would be a throw-in by A at a spot nearest the foul. Right?
(Edited...)

Last edited by Freddy; Mon Oct 17, 2016 at 02:15pm.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2016, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
SITUATION 8, RULINGS (d) and (e) seem to be incorrect, correct? Each seem to have been no later than the first dead ball after the clock had properly started.
The errors are within the correctable error time frame. The FTs can still be canceled. I'm assuming/guessing that the issue is with giving B the ball in d and e after canceling As FTs.

In the first correctable error play, i think, in case book 2.10 section team A is to get 2 shots. B rebounds the first FT and they play on. head to other end. play says B getting the rebound is not a "change of possession" so you go back and shoot As second FT and play from there.

Here, B is rebounding the FT that should have never taken place or inbounding the ball after the FTs that shouldn't have taken place. It is considered a change of possession. So A gets its two FTs cancelled and they don't get the opportunity to score after because the ball is going to B.

correctable errors are bad. If there's a screw up somebody is going to get…Here team A.

and...Now that I read C that may be his issue. When B1 grabs the ball for the throw in they have possession. i like the result better than d and e but it doesn't seem to follow the rule.

Last edited by BigCat; Mon Oct 17, 2016 at 10:40am.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2016, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

Actually, I agree with d & e. However, as BigCat points out those are inconsistent with c, and even part b. Consult 2-10-6 and 4-36. You will see that 2-10-6 instructs the officials to resume at the POI and 4-36-2b tells us that POI includes when a team is entitled to a throw-in.

Therefore, BY RULE Team B should be awarded a throw-in following the correction of the error in both parts b and c of Situation 8.

The casebook play BigCat refers to is also incorrect as it fails to properly account for the POI and laughably states that the opposing team rebounding the missed FT and dribbling up the court isn't a change of possession. It clearly is.

I can understand if the NFHS desires Team A to get the ball back after having its unmerited FTs nullified. However, that isn't what the rules currently state, so the NFHS would need to make a change to the rules, if it wants that outcome.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2016, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

I am not certain that "POI" and "the point at which the game was stopped to correct the error" (or whatever the specific wording in in the book) are exactly synonymous.

I do agree that the case play BigCat referenced is wrong, but it's been wrong for even longer than the back-court fiasco. And, the definition of the terms and the rule could be clarified (but I think we need to be careful what we wish for.)
Old Tue Oct 18, 2016, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am not certain that "POI" and "the point at which the game was stopped to correct the error" (or whatever the specific wording in in the book) are exactly synonymous.

I do agree that the case play BigCat referenced is wrong, but it's been wrong for even longer than the back-court fiasco. And, the definition of the terms and the rule could be clarified (but I think we need to be careful what we wish for.)
Bob,
Have you looked at the wording of 2-10-6 lately?
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Bob,
Have you looked at the wording of 2-10-6 lately?
No. I don't have the books handy.

Edit: I see they have it as POI now, and include "CE" as one of the reasons to use POI in the POI definition.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Thu Oct 20, 2016 at 07:57am.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No. I don't have the books handy.

Edit: I see they have it as POI now, and include "CE" as one of the reasons to use POI in the POI definition.