The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 13, 2016, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
I really need to work on my communication skills this season. I told myself that last year, and didn't accomplish it. In our state the coaches evaluate you, so just ignoring them is not a recipe for good evals and post-season assignments. I would love to hear your serious quick hitters to calm a coach down, or any other suggestions to effectively communicate with coaches.

One I've been told and that I'm going to implement is to refer to your angle, either "I had a good angle on that one coach, he got him on the arm", or when defending a partner's call say "he had a good angle coach".
I wouldn't rate my ability to communicate with coaches on my one-liners. In general they aren't going to have any positive impact on the flow of the game

Talking to coaches about a partner's call is asking for way more trouble than it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
I'm going to disagree because IME that train of thought is connected to the idea that the only time coaches want to talk is when they have a specific complaint or incident that are reacting to.
Every official knows that coaches love the sound of their voice. The point of not seeking out coaches isn't because we don't think they want to talk.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2016, 01:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Too many people feel like they have to explain calls. You should make a call and move on. If a coach has a legitimate question, then address that if you have time. But it seems to me people here worry too much about saying the perfect thing to a coach that will never be prefect in their eyes anyway.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 13, 2016, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Too many people feel like they have to explain calls. You should make a call and move on. If a coach has a legitimate question, then address that if you have time. But it seems to me people here worry too much about saying the perfect thing to a coach that will never be prefect in their eyes anyway.

Peace
Some officials, even some on this forum, have the notion that coaches "deserve" an explanation after every call, normally under the guise of being "a good communicator." In a lot of cases, your mechanics communicate all that you need to communicate.

One politician official in my district last year tried to appease a constantly chirping coach by talking to him every time he went tableside. He told me during a timeout that the coach was "entitled" to an explanation. I ended up whacking this coach and tossing him, and before he left the gym this official decided to seek out the coach to try and appease him, likely throwing me under the bus in the conversation.

The college philosophy, from what I hear, is moving away from talking to coaches as much. And that's a good thing IMO.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2016, 01:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Some officials, even some on this forum, have the notion that coaches "deserve" an explanation after every call, normally under the guise of being "a good communicator." In a lot of cases, your mechanics communicate all that you need to communicate.
Most of my communication with coaches is not saying a thing, let alone saying something on every call. I think the old adage still works, "Silence cannot be misquoted." If I talk more, the more I can be misinterpreted. I find myself trying not to say much of anything when they ask a question initially. I had a coach that told my partner something that I had said and was clearly a lie, because he was trying to get favor by another official. Thank God the official knew better and said, "He did not say that."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
The college philosophy, from what I hear, is moving away from talking to coaches as much. And that's a good thing IMO.
It is not quite to that extent in my experiences, but there is so much tape out there that it is not good when you are constantly talking to one coach and you are not talking to the other.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 14, 2016, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is not quite to that extent in my experiences, but there is so much tape out there that it is not good when you are constantly talking to one coach and you are not talking to the other.

This. Talking can be very useful if you're suited for it, but the trick is balance. Watch Gene Steretore when he does a game; he loves communicating and the coaches love him for it. And he always pays nearly equal attention to each bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Oct 29, 2016, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
General Techniques:

Statements by coaches don’t normally need a response. Answer questions, not statements.
Let the coach ask their question first, before speaking. Be a responder, not an initiator.
Most coaches will have questions when they believe the officials have missed an obvious call.
Having the officials in closer proximity often calms down the coach.
Be in control and speak in calm, easy tones. Be aware of your body language; maintain positive and confident
body language.
Make eye contact with the coach when the situation allows.
Do not try to answer a question from an out of control coach; deal with the behavior first.
If you’ve missed a call or made a mistake; admit it. This technique can only be used sparingly, perhaps
once a game.
Don’t bluff your way through a call.
Do not ignore a coach.

Specific Communication Examples:

Coach sees the play very differently than the official:
“Coach, if that’s the way it happened/what you saw, then I must have missed it. I’ll take a closer look next
time.”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, however, on that play I didn’t see it that way. I’ll keep an eye for it
on both ends.”
“Coach, we’ll watch for that on both ends.”
“Coach, I had a good look at that play and here’s what I saw (short explanation).”
“Coach, I was in a good position to make that call.”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, but my angle was different than yours.”
“Coach, I had a great look at that play, but I understand your question and I’ll have the crew keep an eye on it.”
“Coach, I had that play all the way and made the call.”

Coach believes you’re missing persistent illegal acts by the other team:
“OK coach, we’ll watch for that.”
“Coach, we are watching for that on both ends of the court.”
“Coach, I hear you, and I’ll work hard to get a better view.”

Coach is questioning a partner’s call:
“Coach, that’s a good call, as a crew we have to make that call.”
“We’re calling it on both ends.”
“Coach, he/she was right there and had a great angle.”
“Coach, we’re not going there, I can’t let you criticize my partner.”
“Coach, he/she had a great look, but if you have a specific question, you’ll have to ask him/her, he/she’ll be
over here in just a minute.”
“Tell me, I’ll ask him.”

Coach is very animated and gesturing:
“Coach, I’m going to talk with you and answer your questions, but you must put your arms down/stop the
gesturing.”
“Coach, please put your arms down. Now, what’s your question?”

Coach is raising their voice asking the question:
“Coach, I can hear you. I’m standing right here, you don’t need to raise your voice.”
"Coach, I need you to stop raising your voice and just ask your question calmly.”
“Coach, stop yelling across the court, I’m right here.”

Coach is commenting on something every time down the floor:
“Coach, I need you to pick your spots, we can’t have a comment on every single call that is being made.”
"Coach, I can't have you officiating this game."
"Coach, I understand you're not going to agree with all of our calls, but I can't have you question every
single one."
"Coach, if you have a question, I'll answer if I have a chance, but we aren't going to have these constant
comments."
“Coach, I will listen to you, but you can’t officiate every play.”

Coach has a good point and might be right.
“You’ve got a good point and might be right about that play.”
“You might be right, that’s one we’ll talk about at halftime/intermission/the next time out.”
“You might be right; I may not have had the best angle on that play.”
“Coach, I missed it.”

Coach is venting, make editorial comments:
“I hear what you’re saying”
“I hear what you’re saying, but we’re moving on.”

Coach just won’t let it go:
“Coach, I hear you, but we’re moving on.”
“Coach, enough.”
“I’ve heard enough and that’s your warning.”

Source: Topeka (Kansas) Officials Association
Thank you for sharing these statements, I will use some of them.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2016, 09:53am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Be a responder, not an initiator. . . .

Having the officials in closer proximity often calms down the coach.
This first insight above parallels something I've been toying with as an approach to the topic: "Respond, but don't react." Something simple, but means a mind shift for some. Me sometimes, too.

The second insight has a flip side. Video review shows too many officials, upon reporting shooting fouls, sauntering unnecessarily right over to the coach. Too much. Habitually. Too often. In the first half, it commonly invites comments and statements that otherwise would have gone unexpressed except for the all-too-close proximity of the official. In the second half, it gives the impression of seeking affirmation for the call just made.
When the coach is kneeling down, it just makes no sense for the official to go over to his coaches box and stand there with his butt in the coach's face. Laugh, but it happens.
Better, perhaps, on shooting fouls, is to get to a location in the reporting box where you want to end up for the free throw, report, turn around, signal number of free throws to partners, and stay right there. Wandering after the report gives the impression of nervousness and uncertainty. Heading directly to the proximity of the coach doesn't always look or work out for the best. If the coach as a question, great -- a couple of steps backward to listen to him, but never turning away from the floor and always conveying the impression that there's attention on the court that the official has to maintain after the brief and tactful interaction between the two.
Just some misc. thoughts that maybe not everyone would agree with but some might.

Last edited by Freddy; Sat Oct 29, 2016 at 10:02am.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2016, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
I agree. coaches want communication…as long as that communication is what they want to hear…
Old Mon Oct 31, 2016, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
This first insight above parallels something I've been toying with as an approach to the topic: "Respond, but don't react." Something simple, but means a mind shift for some. Me sometimes, too.

The second insight has a flip side. Video review shows too many officials, upon reporting shooting fouls, sauntering unnecessarily right over to the coach. Too much. Habitually. Too often. In the first half, it commonly invites comments and statements that otherwise would have gone unexpressed except for the all-too-close proximity of the official. In the second half, it gives the impression of seeking affirmation for the call just made.
When the coach is kneeling down, it just makes no sense for the official to go over to his coaches box and stand there with his butt in the coach's face. Laugh, but it happens.
Better, perhaps, on shooting fouls, is to get to a location in the reporting box where you want to end up for the free throw, report, turn around, signal number of free throws to partners, and stay right there. Wandering after the report gives the impression of nervousness and uncertainty. Heading directly to the proximity of the coach doesn't always look or work out for the best. If the coach as a question, great -- a couple of steps backward to listen to him, but never turning away from the floor and always conveying the impression that there's attention on the court that the official has to maintain after the brief and tactful interaction between the two.
Just some misc. thoughts that maybe not everyone would agree with but some might.
I report and stay out near the volleyball sideline initially. They will have to make an effort to get my attention. I cringe watching officials that by habit just walk over next to the coach after every close call, whether it goes their way or not.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2016, 11:07pm
AremRed

Go by the book is my New Season Resolution. First girls varsity game of the year tonight, enforced the NFHS "no extensions" headband rule, coach didn't like it. Literally every girl on his team had one. We hit the double bonus with 2 min left in the first quarter from all the handchecks. We even left a couple out there but the first few minutes of the 2nd half was amazing with free-flowing, clean play. It's pretty sweet when they adjust.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2016, 06:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

Choices ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
... enforced the NFHS "no extensions" headband rule ....
Tuck the extensions into the headband, or take them completely off?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 02, 2016, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

take them off. at least here. YMMV.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2016, 07:47am
AremRed

Take them off. I told the coach that while the extensions may be tucked in, the headband itself still has them.

Interestingly the NFHS soccer rulebook has a more specific clause that prohibits any headband with a "knot", so I'm not sure if this basketball rule in either for the extensions being able to be grabbed or the knot itself.

I suggested the AAD contact the state office today.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2016, 08:43am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Take them off. I told the coach that while the extensions may be tucked in, the headband itself still has them.

Interestingly the NFHS soccer rulebook has a more specific clause that prohibits any headband with a "knot", so I'm not sure if this basketball rule in either for the extensions being able to be grabbed or the knot itself.

I suggested the AAD contact the state office today.
Some states have deemed any knotted headband illegal for violating the "of a circular design" stipulation. Because if it were untied the headband would no longer be "of a circular design". And whereas I agree with that determination, our state has stated that a knotted headband in and of itself is not illegal, any extensions past the knot are. Extensions tucked under the headband still make it illegal.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2016, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Pot/Kettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
"Coach, knock it off or I'll tell your wife I saw you at Hooters last night!"

If you saw him, he saw you.