The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

New Season Resolution

I really need to work on my communication skills this season. I told myself that last year, and didn't accomplish it. In our state the coaches evaluate you, so just ignoring them is not a recipe for good evals and post-season assignments. I would love to hear your serious quick hitters to calm a coach down, or any other suggestions to effectively communicate with coaches.

One I've been told and that I'm going to implement is to refer to your angle, either "I had a good angle on that one coach, he got him on the arm", or when defending a partner's call say "he had a good angle coach".
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

I hear ya coach, but that's not what I/we saw? A partner of mine said that last year, and I liked it.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 02:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

"Coach, knock it off or I'll tell your wife I saw you at Hooters last night!"
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 04:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Communication With Coaches ...

General Techniques:

Statements by coaches don’t normally need a response. Answer questions, not statements.
Let the coach ask their question first, before speaking. Be a responder, not an initiator.
Most coaches will have questions when they believe the officials have missed an obvious call.
Having the officials in closer proximity often calms down the coach.
Be in control and speak in calm, easy tones. Be aware of your body language; maintain positive and confident
body language.
Make eye contact with the coach when the situation allows.
Do not try to answer a question from an out of control coach; deal with the behavior first.
If you’ve missed a call or made a mistake; admit it. This technique can only be used sparingly, perhaps
once a game.
Don’t bluff your way through a call.
Do not ignore a coach.

Specific Communication Examples:

Coach sees the play very differently than the official:
“Coach, if that’s the way it happened/what you saw, then I must have missed it. I’ll take a closer look next
time.”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, however, on that play I didn’t see it that way. I’ll keep an eye for it
on both ends.”
“Coach, we’ll watch for that on both ends.”
“Coach, I had a good look at that play and here’s what I saw (short explanation).”
“Coach, I was in a good position to make that call.”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, but my angle was different than yours.”
“Coach, I had a great look at that play, but I understand your question and I’ll have the crew keep an eye on it.”
“Coach, I had that play all the way and made the call.”

Coach believes you’re missing persistent illegal acts by the other team:
“OK coach, we’ll watch for that.”
“Coach, we are watching for that on both ends of the court.”
“Coach, I hear you, and I’ll work hard to get a better view.”

Coach is questioning a partner’s call:
“Coach, that’s a good call, as a crew we have to make that call.”
“We’re calling it on both ends.”
“Coach, he/she was right there and had a great angle.”
“Coach, we’re not going there, I can’t let you criticize my partner.”
“Coach, he/she had a great look, but if you have a specific question, you’ll have to ask him/her, he/she’ll be
over here in just a minute.”
“Tell me, I’ll ask him.”

Coach is very animated and gesturing:
“Coach, I’m going to talk with you and answer your questions, but you must put your arms down/stop the
gesturing.”
“Coach, please put your arms down. Now, what’s your question?”

Coach is raising their voice asking the question:
“Coach, I can hear you. I’m standing right here, you don’t need to raise your voice.”
"Coach, I need you to stop raising your voice and just ask your question calmly.”
“Coach, stop yelling across the court, I’m right here.”

Coach is commenting on something every time down the floor:
“Coach, I need you to pick your spots, we can’t have a comment on every single call that is being made.”
"Coach, I can't have you officiating this game."
"Coach, I understand you're not going to agree with all of our calls, but I can't have you question every
single one."
"Coach, if you have a question, I'll answer if I have a chance, but we aren't going to have these constant
comments."
“Coach, I will listen to you, but you can’t officiate every play.”

Coach has a good point and might be right.
“You’ve got a good point and might be right about that play.”
“You might be right, that’s one we’ll talk about at halftime/intermission/the next time out.”
“You might be right; I may not have had the best angle on that play.”
“Coach, I missed it.”

Coach is venting, make editorial comments:
“I hear what you’re saying”
“I hear what you’re saying, but we’re moving on.”

Coach just won’t let it go:
“Coach, I hear you, but we’re moving on.”
“Coach, enough.”
“I’ve heard enough and that’s your warning.”

Source: Topeka (Kansas) Officials Association
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Oct 09, 2016, 08:23am
This IS My Social Life

I'm exploring this distinction lately to identify if there's anything in it that can help me in this effort:
"Make sure that whatever is said to a coach, it's a RESPONSE, not a REACTION."
Old Sun Oct 09, 2016, 08:41am
Do not give a damn!!

This will be my 21st year (worked 3 sports most of that time) and every year I try to figure out ways to deal with coaches and players better. I do not think this will ever be something I am not working on because people are different and respond to different styles of communication differently. I am usually very effective with what I do, but those times something does not work, I always focus on when something did not work for the most part.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 09, 2016, 10:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
I really need to work on my communication skills this season. I told myself that last year, and didn't accomplish it. In our state the coaches evaluate you, so just ignoring them is not a recipe for good evals and post-season assignments. I would love to hear your serious quick hitters to calm a coach down, or any other suggestions to effectively communicate with coaches.

One I've been told and that I'm going to implement is to refer to your angle, either "I had a good angle on that one coach, he got him on the arm", or when defending a partner's call say "he had a good angle coach".
1) answer questions with few words as possible and always give factual information.

2) when a coach is acting out of line be direct and let him know that his behavior needs to be modified. Such as "coach, we can't have you yelling at us across the floor" or " please communicate without being demonstrative with your hands"

3) after #1 or #2 the conversation is over and you're moving on. Make it clear with your body positioning or body language that you are now concentrating on the game and no longer engaging him for this conversation.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Sun Oct 09, 2016, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Learning to communicate with coaches is just as much learning when not to say anything to them as much as it is learning what to say to them when something warrants a response.

One of the most helpful pieces of advice I got at camp this past summer was to not to move into the coaches' doghouse once you report a foul if free throws will be attempted. Stand near the center circle for the first free throw, and by the time you move to the proper position for the subsequent action, the coach often won't have anything to say to you. This is a CCA mechanic that can be helpful in high school where we stay tableside after reporting.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2016, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Stand near the center circle for the first free throw, and by the time you move to the proper position for the subsequent action, the coach often won't have anything to say to you.

I don't go near the center circle, but I do get close to the table so that I'm right there to beckon the subs. It also just so happens to keep me away from the coaching box.

However, when I have the sense that the coach is in a professional mood and/or has an intelligent question, I'm not afraid to shuffle over to lend him/her my ear. You have to know when you're not breaking into jail and then take advantage of those bridge-building opportunities. Not saying this is easy; it comes with years of experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Oct 12, 2016, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

-goes to stand where coach is standing-

Ok. From here, I can see why you think that was/wasn't a foul. From over there, it looked a little different.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2016, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Easiest and most effective in my experience for communication has been the following (keeping in mind we are talking about most reasonable proffessional adults not your howler babies):

1) Preventative steps - If I can see a coach is trying to talk or get an official communicate I get to them as soon as I reasonably can to see what it is up. I may even check in after timeouts or breaks to see if there is anything they need clarification on or need to talk about. If they know that I will seek them out to talk then don't have to go shouting to get my attention they know they will get a chance to get me if there is something important.

2) "Coach I hear what you are saying, we will talk about it/look for it."

3) "Do you have a question? I can give you my best answer to a question but I can't stand here and debate . . ."

4) Create very clear standards of expected behaviour. Once you've been given you say if you don't move on, or if you are too demonstrative and adverserial or if you are clearly out of control we will take care of buisness. If they know that you will talk to them and that you will answer questions and work as a crew so long as they stay within the expectations things tend to work out.

I don't throw a lot of T's but I think it is primarily because we officiate in a small region so coaches know us all and what our standards are, they also know if they talk and question at appropriate times/ways we will reciprocate.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Oct 12, 2016, 12:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Easiest and most effective in my experience for communication has been the following (keeping in mind we are talking about most reasonable proffessional adults not your howler babies):

1) Preventative steps - If I can see a coach is trying to talk or get an official communicate I get to them as soon as I reasonably can to see what it is up. I may even check in after timeouts or breaks to see if there is anything they need clarification on or need to talk about. If they know that I will seek them out to talk then don't have to go shouting to get my attention they know they will get a chance to get me if there is something important.
I'm not seeking out a coach after a time-out or intermission. By that time they've moved on.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2016, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm not seeking out a coach after a time-out or intermission. By that time they've moved on.
That was my thought as well. I've always been told it's a bad idea to go explaining before they have a question or to seek them out.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2016, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Use "Please" and "Thank you". Admit it when you totally kick a call. You have the power to have the final act (as in issuing a T or ejecting a coach) it's okay to let them have the final word every now and again.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2016, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
That was my thought as well. I've always been told it's a bad idea to go explaining before they have a question or to seek them out.
I'm going to disagree because IME that train of thought is connected to the idea that the only time coaches want to talk is when they have a specific complaint or incident that are reacting to.

When I seek coaches out (to be clear I'm talking generally about the varsity level coaches) there is often nothing and when there is they generally have things they want me to watch or have questions about.

ie: "Could you keep an eye out for 6 grabbing jersey's on screens?"
" My kids are telling me that the screens are moving what are you seeing?"
" I don't think 12 is getting the ball out of their hand before their pivot foot comes up. We can't guard her if she travels on every take off."
" There seems to be a lot of clutching at cutters."

So these aren't specific complaints or reactions to one incident but it gives them time to voice those to me. Then they don't have to yell that screen is moving or she travelled everytime they think it happens or they want me to know what they are seeing. They know I know and that I'm looking for it. If they need followup I can see the play or action they are looking for an on the fly by or next opportunity make clarification.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!