View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 13, 2016, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
That was my thought as well. I've always been told it's a bad idea to go explaining before they have a question or to seek them out.
I'm going to disagree because IME that train of thought is connected to the idea that the only time coaches want to talk is when they have a specific complaint or incident that are reacting to.

When I seek coaches out (to be clear I'm talking generally about the varsity level coaches) there is often nothing and when there is they generally have things they want me to watch or have questions about.

ie: "Could you keep an eye out for 6 grabbing jersey's on screens?"
" My kids are telling me that the screens are moving what are you seeing?"
" I don't think 12 is getting the ball out of their hand before their pivot foot comes up. We can't guard her if she travels on every take off."
" There seems to be a lot of clutching at cutters."

So these aren't specific complaints or reactions to one incident but it gives them time to voice those to me. Then they don't have to yell that screen is moving or she travelled everytime they think it happens or they want me to know what they are seeing. They know I know and that I'm looking for it. If they need followup I can see the play or action they are looking for an on the fly by or next opportunity make clarification.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!