The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 29, 2016, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Immature Team

Hi Guys,

2-man FIBA domestic/rec league competition in Australia. High Grade mens game last night, Team A is leading by about 20 with 5 minutes remaining in the game.
Player from Team B is at the line for his second shot, tries to catch team A off-guard by throwing the ball at the ring instantly and going to get the rebound, although in his rush he steps over the line before the ball makes contact with the ring, I was ready, I caught it and called the violation.
He turns and clearly disagrees with the call and says that i only called it because i was surprised by what he did.
He then proceeds to call a timeout for Team B clearly in protest of the call. Clock stops and teams go to their bench, as we return from the timeout they call a second one (their final one) immediately in a clearly unsportsmanlike manner. Team A is annoyed but respectful, and their captain politely asks if there is anything we as the referees can do.
So that leads me to my question, can I, as the referee, decline a request for a timeout? Further, can I take any additional action against this, i.e. a technical foul on the bench?
My partner and I did not know so we simply made sure a minute had passed and called them straight back in. Thankfully, Team A was very relaxed about the issue, unlike what some other teams would have been like in the same situation.

Just celebrated my first full year of reffing, so I am asking you more experienced officials how you would have handled these situations? I am hoping to progress to high levels of refereeing and I think game management is my biggest area to work on.

Cheers
Old Thu Sep 29, 2016, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiteka View Post
Hi Guys,

2-man FIBA domestic/rec league competition in Australia. High Grade mens game last night, Team A is leading by about 20 with 5 minutes remaining in the game.
Player from Team B is at the line for his second shot, tries to catch team A off-guard by throwing the ball at the ring instantly and going to get the rebound, although in his rush he steps over the line before the ball makes contact with the ring, I was ready, I caught it and called the violation.
He turns and clearly disagrees with the call and says that i only called it because i was surprised by what he did.
He then proceeds to call a timeout for Team B clearly in protest of the call. Clock stops and teams go to their bench, as we return from the timeout they call a second one (their final one) immediately in a clearly unsportsmanlike manner. Team A is annoyed but respectful, and their captain politely asks if there is anything we as the referees can do.
So that leads me to my question, can I, as the referee, decline a request for a timeout? Further, can I take any additional action against this, i.e. a technical foul on the bench?
My partner and I did not know so we simply made sure a minute had passed and called them straight back in. Thankfully, Team A was very relaxed about the issue, unlike what some other teams would have been like in the same situation.

Just celebrated my first full year of reffing, so I am asking you more experienced officials how you would have handled these situations? I am hoping to progress to high levels of refereeing and I think game management is my biggest area to work on.

Cheers
The two bolded statements are player issues not official issues. If they want to burn timeouts administer them. You don't need to spend time worrying about why or the subtext of a timeout. Unless in asking for timeout they are also doing something unsporting (arguing, using the time to berate officials, language, etc) then there is nothing unsporting about their requests.

Do as you did grant the timeout. Make sure the proper process is followed, move on . . .

If you think game management is an issue then focus on managing the game. Have standards and a threshold for behaviour and administer the rules as the book and your regional enforcement require. My daughters favourite t-shirt says "Be yourself, the rest of the world will adjust." Call the game, expect the players and coaches to meet the standard and play within the rules, penalize those who don't.

You can't get caught up in the why's and wherefores of teams actions. If they need a better coach or team therapist that is not your job.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Thu Sep 29, 2016, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Immature Team

Agree with Panther. If there was something above your unsporting threshold about the reaction to the call itself, or an overt unsporting act during during or between the timeouts, then take care of that business with a T. Outside if that, you'd be injecting yourself into the situation which should be avoided. Let T's come to you; don't go looking for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Sep 29, 2016, 09:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Let them burn their timeouts if they wish, it might just be a better option than the alternative. They only have so many timeouts.

Regarding the opponent's question, if you want to answer. "They have the right to use their timeouts as they see fit." I'd probably say it with a wry smile.

It's not always easy, but it's imperative to remain above this sort of gamesmanship. If it rises to a technical, call it. If not, keep the game moving. Either way, don't let them suck you into the emotions of it all.