Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
For driveway games it's 5 minutes.
And for wreck league, it's have your shoes tied, whistle on, and shirt tail hanging out when the buzzer ends to signal the end of the warmup period and start the game.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 08:28pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
In my experience/observation: no Varsity ref hung around the locker room to give ''advice''/'feedback'' to JV Fresh refs after the game was over. Those JV Fresh refs are high-tailing it out of there after their games--getting home and out of the snow--heck man it's dinner time right after games are done. When I do varsity I do not offer such 'advice' and when I do JV Fresh games I do not solicit such 'advice' from the other crew. In fact, I have not seen anyone do --nor would I expect anyone to attempt to do such. What kind of advice feedback is typically given? Is it necessary to do such?
Before I started working primarily varsity games, I always asked for feedback (mainly on positioning/mechanics, occasionally I asked about judgement calls if I think they might've seen the play in question) from any varsity refs that were in the locker room after my game ended. I figured it was always good to get an independent evaluation from a more experienced official, although of course there were some bits of "advice" that were ignored/quickly discarded.

I may or may not have stayed for the varsity game, depending on the relevant factors (time of day, weather conditions, driving time to get home, if my significant other was waiting for me, etc).

Now that I'm primarily working the JV/V doubleheaders, I don't usually have the opportunity to provide any feedback, but if the situation arises where I'm able to do so AND the official in question asks for it, I'm happy to do so. I got help from vets when I was a rookie, I should be willing to do the same for other rookies.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 08:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
In my experience/observation: no Varsity ref hung around the locker room to give ''advice''/'feedback'' to JV Fresh refs after the game was over. Those JV Fresh refs are high-tailing it out of there after their games--getting home and out of the snow--heck man it's dinner time right after games are done. When I do varsity I do not offer such 'advice' and when I do JV Fresh games I do not solicit such 'advice' from the other crew. In fact, I have not seen anyone do --nor would I expect anyone to attempt to do such. What kind of advice feedback is typically given? Is it necessary to do such?
When I was a "prelim official" I would stay and watch the varsity officials and ask them questions about their games. It was routine. I had no where to be that night and made sure I had nothing to do. Now before we can enter the floor for the varsity game, the prelim officials are gone out of the building. That used to be a right or passage of sorts that you would do so that you could learn some basic information and how to officiated. Those days seem over or the attitude is that they do not need any advice, but complain if they are not working varsity ball right now. I also tend to not just give advice unless I am asked or I know the official rather well. When I was early in my career I was seeking advice all the time. I wanted to get better and see what the big dogs were doing. I do not know how you get better without seeing what is expected at the level you wish to one day work and then have access to the guys that are doing those games on a regular. A lot of things I learned was just watching and seeing how they handled coaches and communicated with their partners. But it is rare anymore I see that has a veteran from the younger guys.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

I, too, tend to answer questions rather than provide unsolicited feedback. And I do my best to keep any answers to questions two-sided; I think groups of officials get more out of a conversation than a tutoring session. And heck, sometimes a junior official will say something that I hadn't thought about. I'm never too old to get better and wiser.

Where I've officiated there's often not much time after a JV game to talk because the varsity crew has to get on the floor. So we usually watch the first half, then meet with the sub-varsity crew and start changing at halftime. Let the JV crew handle their own mid-game business first. Remember, they're doing a game, not a clinic. But if there's time and we get the "so, anything you guys saw?" question, then I'm usually ready with a simple pointer, maybe two at the most. I don't want to cause paralysis by analysis at halftime; that's not the time or place.

Every once in a while I get an email from the early crew later that night or the next day. Then I might provide much more substantial feedback. I also promptly tell assigners about the engaged and inquisitive official because such qualities are too exciting to keep to myself.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2016, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not after the game was over, but rather halftime of the JV game. It actually works fairly well, more often than not. The JV game generally starts at 6:00 pm (sometimes at 5:30 if no 4:30 fresh game). So the varsity crew would get there at 6, watch the 1st half, go to the locker room at halftime of the JV game, make some comments/suggestions, then the JV guys head back out and the varsity guys either watch a little of the 3rd qtr before changing or just stay in the locker room to get ready.

Some JV guys, especially those being mentored or wanting to move up, will stay for a half of the varsity game or the whole game - and they're generally welcomed into the locker room at half of that game too - but that's only if they want to do so, it's not expected.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2016, 09:00pm
AremRed

90 minutes is standard in my state for HS and college. The expectation for HS is to be there at the beginning of the JV in case of no-shows or injured JV refs.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2016, 08:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
90 minutes is standard in my state for HS and college. The expectation for HS is to be there at the beginning of the JV in case of no-shows or injured JV refs.
90 minutes for a HS game?

That's longer than the game itself.

Varsity games I shoot for an hour.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2016, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

In Ontario, high school games often tip off at 315 or 330.. So 15 minutes is often all that can be expected.

College.. 60 minutes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old Wed Sep 14, 2016, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Varsity games i try to make it 60 minutes before but in reality its closer to 30-45 minutes. College - 90 minutes.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2016, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
90 minutes for a HS game?

That's longer than the game itself.

Varsity games I shoot for an hour.
I was thinking the same thing.....that is really an unreasonable expectation unless they're paying a lot more than we're getting. IF they want me there for the JV game, they're paying me for the JV game too.