The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 26, 2000, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Question

For any of you who have officiated at a tournament where there was more than one game going on at the same time in one gym, how does it work? How are the players able to tell what whistle is for what game, and how can the refs tell which horn is for which game?
Old Mon Mar 27, 2000, 03:20am
Official Forum Member

I ref in a facility where there are always 2 or 3 games going at once. The players know to keep playing unless they're sure that the whistle is on our court, and it's usually pretty obvious to figure it out. As for horns, I hope you have enough game sense to know when the clock is about to expire in a period.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2000, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

It actually isn't as bad as you might think. The players have a pretty good sense as to when the whistle is for their court or not. Every once in a while, there is some confusion with the horn, but the players get used to it pretty quickly.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2000, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Just had an AAU tournament a week ago with 4 games in 1 gym. no problems til we were in the third place game and one of our girls stole the inbounds pass. lots of contact, no whistle on our court, but a perfectly timed whistle next door. She picked up her dribble and handed the ball over, only to be called for traveling. Bad timing for that to happen.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2000, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

I was at a camp with three games going on...like someone said it is pretty easy to figure out (I thought it was gong to be hard at first)...the officials n the previous reply should have had the mind-set to rule inadvertant whistle (even if it did cme from the wrong court) and played-on