The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 08:56am
Stubborn Member

Isn't there a decent chance of the MG falling on the floor, and becoming a bit of an obstacle? Plus, doesn't part of the equipment rule say about properly wearing equipment (in this case the MG)?
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Yes there is BV21, so I do believe that I was justified in my action.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
So why did you ask us?
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 01:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Isn't there a decent chance of the MG falling on the floor, and becoming a bit of an obstacle? Plus, doesn't part of the equipment rule say about properly wearing equipment (in this case the MG)?
Quote:
So when he drops it, "accidentally" step on it. Problem solved.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

he's probably been allowed to wear it out like that most of the time. him doing it again after you telling him to keep it in is probably not a dig at you as much as it is a habit of his. more like a reflex. if i felt compelled to do something id just send him out of the game--like jewelry etc. A T for a mouth guard doesn't help your game.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 02:29pm
NFHS Official

The moral of this story is.....Never, Never, Ever, call a men’s wreck league benefit fundraiser tourney
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
if i felt compelled to do something id just send him out of the game--like jewelry etc. A T for a mouth guard doesn't help your game.
This.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2016, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
The moral of this story is.....Never, Never, Ever, call a men’s wreck league benefit fundraiser tourney
*well I did work the game at the request of a referee colleague who needed help; moreover, the $30 per game fee helped to persuade me.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2016, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
So when he drops it, "accidentally" step on it. Problem solved.
*OK, BNR interesting solution.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2016, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
So why did you ask us?
*looking for the pros and cons of my action from knowledgeable, experienced, and intelligent officials--hey I don't exist in a vacuum OK.
Old Thu Sep 15, 2016, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Since it's a safety item I'm not going to tell a player "wear it properly or take it out." I'll tell them wear it properly or they can't play (NF 3-7). If they choose to take it out that's on them. If we tell them in any way they have to take it out and they get hurt, that opens us up to legal issues.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Sep 15, 2016, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Since it's a safety item I'm not going to tell a player "wear it properly or take it out." I'll tell them wear it properly or they can't play (NF 3-7). If they choose to take it out that's on them. If we tell them in any way they have to take it out and they get hurt, that opens us up to legal issues.
*Interesting observation of a possible "legal issue" that could arise here. Our association recently had a speaker from NASO give us a seminar regarding "legal aspects, pitfalls, and implications of officiating". Of the key points she mentioned were: 1) "liable negligence" (example she gave was: B1 gets pushed hard in lower back on rebound and you are in L and do not call a foul--B1 gets back injury and parents are raising a big stink after they saw game video); 2) "un-intentional injury" (example she gave was 'a well-meaning official helping a player with a sprained ankle up off the gym floor and said player slips from your grasp and tears the acl". I can see how the above cited issue of MG could be in-play here, now that you mention 'legal' aspects.
Old Fri Sep 16, 2016, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of the key points she mentioned were: 1) "liable negligence" (example she gave was: B1 gets pushed hard in lower back on rebound and you are in L and do not call a foul--B1 gets back injury and parents are raising a big stink after they saw game video)
I'm interested to hear more about this. Was her conclusion that the official was a.) liable, and/or b.) negligent?!

Whether you call a foul or not, B1 is injured on the play. A non-whistle didn't cause it, and a whistle won't prevent it. The classic "someone's gonna get hurt out there" non-logic.

I know we all agree on this, just wanted to hear what the NASO rep's take was on her own scenario.
Old Sat Sep 17, 2016, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Question I have is: was I being hypervigilant?
Yes.

Quote:
Question I have is: Was I protecting the safety of other players [and quite possibly also of PS]?
No.

Quote:
Question I have is: And/or would any of you’all have done a similar officiating action?
Absolutley not.
Old Sun Sep 18, 2016, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
I'm interested to hear more about this. Was her conclusion that the official was a.) liable, and/or b.) negligent?!

Whether you call a foul or not, B1 is injured on the play. A non-whistle didn't cause it, and a whistle won't prevent it. The classic "someone's gonna get hurt out there" non-logic.

I know we all agree on this, just wanted to hear what the NASO rep's take was on her own scenario.
*the seminar speaker cited a case from a HS game in Florida----the player was injured due to push in back that "everyone saw" and the official did not either consider it/call it a foul--they [the parents] all saw game video and blamed the official for not "protecting/penalizing" player. The main take home from this seminar was that it made me seriously consider taking out their 'liability insurance"- that Naso offers.