Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 30, 2016, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Time out opportunity - FIBA

Timeout opportunity after a field goal.
The defending team can take a timeout is my understanding based on 18.2.3

18.2.3. A time-out opportunity begins when:
• For both teams, the ball becomes dead, the game clock is stopped and the official has ended his communication with the scorer's table.
• For both teams, the ball becomes dead following a successful last or only free throw.
• For the non-scoring team, a field goal is scored

Why is there a special section 18.2.8 about the last 2 minutes for the scoring team? Which rule says scoring team can take a timeout after making a field goal ? 18.2.8 confuses me

18.2.8. A time-out shall not be permitted to the scoring team when the game clock shows 2:00 minutes or less in the fourth period and in each extra period and, following a successful field goal unless an official has interrupted the game.

At the end of day what I would like to know, how can and who cant take a timeout after a field goal? The classic No Whistle scenario. Basket counts signal
How are the experienced FIBA refs calling the timeout opportunity after a field goal?

Last edited by soadyp; Sun Jul 31, 2016 at 06:54am. Reason: refined question
Old Sat Jul 30, 2016, 02:29pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soadyp View Post
Timeout opportunity after a field goal.
The defending team can take a timeout is my understanding based on 18.2.3

18.2.3. A time-out opportunity begins when:
• For both teams, the ball becomes dead, the game clock is stopped and the official has ended his communication with the scorer's table.
• For both teams, the ball becomes dead following a successful last or only free throw.
• For the non-scoring team, a field goal is scored

Why is there a special section 18.2.8 about the last 2 minutes for the scoring team? Which rule says scoring team can take a timeout after making a field goal ? 18.2.8 confuses me

18.2.8. A time-out shall not be permitted to the scoring team when the game clock shows 2:00 minutes or less in the fourth period and in each extra period and, following a successful field goal unless an official has interrupted the game.

So what exactly is correct way to interpret timeout opportunity after a field goal?

Because it is tied to the third item in 18.2.3.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jul 31, 2016, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

18.2.3 dot point 3 refers "non-scoring team"
18.2.8 refers to "scoring team"
I dont understand how they are linked.
Old Sun Jul 31, 2016, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

I don't work FIBA, but as I read the rule --

During most of the game, either team can request a TO after a made last FT (bullet point 2). During the last 2:00, this opportunity is not available to the scoring team.

The first bullet point seems to be an "officials interruption" -- so the scoring team could still request a TO. And, as you point out, the last bullet point refers to the non-scoring team. Neither of these seem affected by 18.2.8
Old Sun Jul 31, 2016, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Let me give it a try.

For 38 minutes, either team can call a timeout when the ball is dead and the clock is stopped. In the last minutes of the 4th, the clock stops on a made field goal but only the team that was scored upon can request a timeout. So Rule 18.2.8 is there to stop the scoring team from arguing that they could call a timeout after scoring in the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter (since technically the ball is dead and the clock is stopped).