The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 16, 2016, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Camp Blues/Pandering to Coaches

I'm at camp this weekend. Second game I have, coach gets first T from one of my partners. I go tableside, and give him the free throws to calm down. Then I inform him he's lost his box for the game. He refuses to sit, and I whack him again after he continues to refuse. Apparently, this camp doesn't want us seatbelting coaches, which we weren't told beforehand. The camp supervisor pleaded with me to take the T away, since this is "our ****ing camp." My clinician asked me to do the same, so I did.

Needless to say, I'm not pleased. I paid to be here, too, just like the teams.

I also had a clinician tell me that, in a regular season game, we need to take "as much crap as possible" from coaches because "they have to pay $300 the second they get tossed. That could be a third of their salary."

Ha. Ha. Ha.

This camp is part of the new rating requirement in South Carolina to go to camp once every three years. Not that I really have an issue going to camp, but after this BS I want my money back.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2016, 08:59pm
High Five Master

Either one of those blowhards your assignor? That would be the only thing is worry about. We should have to take very little crap at all ever and absolutely none during a camp game.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2016, 09:53pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I'm at camp this weekend. Second game I have, coach gets first T from one of my partners. I go tableside, and give him the free throws to calm down. Then I inform him he's lost his box for the game. He refuses to sit, and I whack him again after he continues to refuse. Apparently, this camp doesn't want us seatbelting coaches, which we weren't told beforehand. The camp supervisor pleaded with me to take the T away, since this is "our ****ing camp." My clinician asked me to do the same, so I did.

Needless to say, I'm not pleased. I paid to be here, too, just like the teams.

I also had a clinician tell me that, in a regular season game, we need to take "as much crap as possible" from coaches because "they have to pay $300 the second they get tossed. That could be a third of their salary."

Ha. Ha. Ha.

This camp is part of the new rating requirement in South Carolina to go to camp once every three years. Not that I really have an issue going to camp, but after this BS I want my money back.

The OhioHSAA only fines coaches $100 for being ejected. I want to officiate in your state, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jun 16, 2016, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Either one of those blowhards your assignor? That would be the only thing is worry about. We should have to take very little crap at all ever and absolutely none during a camp game.
The SCHSL is a little different in that the twelve "assigners" are only responsible for assigning sub-varsity games, preseason scrimmages, and holiday tournaments. The central office in Columbia assigns all other varsity games, and the only thing those assignments are based upon is your rating.

But, no, my district director is not present at this camp.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2016, 09:57am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The OhioHSAA only fines coaches $100 for being ejected. I want to officiate in your state, .

MTD, Sr.
$500 in VA. I've sent 2 packing in my career. One of them had an ass't AD who is college supervisor. He hired me 2 years later.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jun 17, 2016, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

No fines here but no one except us is getting paid either.

Automatic 1 game suspension along with ejection. Additional sanctions possible at school/conference level.

Repeat offenders can get multi game suspensions imposed by governing body.

Repeat repeat offenders can be suspended for a full year by governing body.

Slate is not wiped clean every year. Offense in previous can be used as evidence/accumulation in following years.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Fri Jun 17, 2016, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Officials that pander to coaches typically end up burying themselves. Like the ones that brag about how few T's they have called in their careers.

I might have walked off the court in your situation. Probably not since I'm still pretty young and need to be at camp, but it would have at least crossed my mind.

And I'm an official in SC, too. If the $300 fine was really that bigga deal to coaches, they would not act like idiots so much.

Last edited by bballref3966; Fri Jun 17, 2016 at 12:20pm.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2016, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Sometimes I swear that extra punishments like this actually deter officials from making calls that need to be made in their game for exactly the reason the clinician said. "I could have called a second technical on him, but his behavior wasn't bad enough that it deserved sitting two additional games," is one I've heard in my state.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2016, 03:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Sometimes I swear that extra punishments like this actually deter officials from making calls that need to be made in their game for exactly the reason the clinician said. "I could have called a second technical on him, but his behavior wasn't bad enough that it deserved sitting two additional games," is one I've heard in my state.
Some worry about it, some don't. My theory is, the coach is far more aware of additional penalties than I am, so he should be the one to alter HIS behavior to avoid them.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2016, 05:14pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

MTD, Sr.
You haven't been collecting the other $200 for yourself? You have to read the fine print of the rule.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2016, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
The idea that a superstar or a coach can get tossed in the NBA Playoffs with no issue yet some officials don't have the stones to whack a high school coach for acting like a jackass is baffling to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Some worry about it, some don't. My theory is, the coach is far more aware of additional penalties than I am, so he should be the one to alter HIS behavior to avoid them.
Yep, rather than we being the ones to alter our tolerance level to do him a favor. And in SC especially, the logic makes no sense–coaches' have zero input in our rating system, which determines assignments. No reason to try and be friends with them.

As a clinician at a camp I went to put it: the coach is not our friend. You can play golf with him one day, and the next day he will throw your ass under the bus.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2016, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Was a great article in July's edition of Referee. Basically took a shot at the idea of using "taking the high road" as an excuse for not taking care of business like you're supposed to.

Pretty much summed up exactly how I feel about the issue.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2016, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Had a similar situation at a summer camp a few years ago.
During the regular season the same 2 teams played, with both coaches T'ed, 1 coach ejected, 3 or 4 T's on players.
Following summer 3 of us veteran officials had the camp game. None of us had the regular season game , but were well aware of the situation.
T' ed 2 players (1 each team) for taunting in the 1st 5 minutes of a running clock (2 twenty minute halves). Coaches complaining. Fans yelling.
After 2nd T we saw it wasn't getting better so we called EVERYTHING, any contact was a foul, that game incidental contact was a foul, hell a reach was a foul. Called 25-30 fouls the remaining 15 minutes of the 1st 1/2. The 2nd half was better. We didn't toss anyone (we were told they paid to be there, they always come to the camp) we let them play just not very long between whistles. Probably 3/4 of the points were from fouls, 1 pt and the ball.
We didn't get invited to do their regular season game that winter, but heard the officials took a hint from that afternoon.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2016, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisbluezeb View Post
Had a similar situation at a summer camp a few years ago.
During the regular season the same 2 teams played, with both coaches T'ed, 1 coach ejected, 3 or 4 T's on players.
Following summer 3 of us veteran officials had the camp game. None of us had the regular season game , but were well aware of the situation.
T' ed 2 players (1 each team) for taunting in the 1st 5 minutes of a running clock (2 twenty minute halves). Coaches complaining. Fans yelling.
After 2nd T we saw it wasn't getting better so we called EVERYTHING, any contact was a foul, that game incidental contact was a foul, hell a reach was a foul. Called 25-30 fouls the remaining 15 minutes of the 1st 1/2. The 2nd half was better. We didn't toss anyone (we were told they paid to be there, they always come to the camp) we let them play just not very long between whistles. Probably 3/4 of the points were from fouls, 1 pt and the ball.
We didn't get invited to do their regular season game that winter, but heard the officials took a hint from that afternoon.
So do we.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2016, 01:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Well I guess it all comes down to why are you there? Our HS camps are for two reasons. One for certification to keep your license and two to get hired if you go to the right camp. If my supervisor is not telling me to do something, then I am not taking back anything.

Peace