The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 14, 2016, 02:21pm

Four questions

Some things creating some arguments.

1) A1 jumps to attempt a three-point shot but the ball immediately slips out of his hands and goes backwards and away from the basket. He returns to the floor and takes 2-3 steps to get to the ball where he taps the ball to a teammate. Ruling?

2) A1 jumps to attempt a three-point shot but the ball immediately slips out of his hands and goes backwards and away from the basket. He returns to the floor and takes 2-3 steps to get to the ball where he grabs the ball regaining control. Ruling?

3) A1 jumps and releases the ball on a try. The ball is in the air when A2 shoves B1 and the official blows the whistle. After the whistle is blown the ball goes through the basket. Does the basket count?

4) A1 attempts a try near the basket. In a legitimate attempt to block the shot defender B1 misses the ball and slaps the backboard. As a result of the slap the backboard is moving. The ball goes off the glass, hits the moving rim, and bounces out. Ruling?
Old Tue Jun 14, 2016, 02:38pm
AremRed

1. Sounds like a fumble. You can always go and retrieve your fumble after you have ended your dribble, provided you don't dribble again.

2. Same as play 1

3. Yes

4. Play on
Old Tue Jun 14, 2016, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

1 & 2, allow player to recover fumble, just can't dribble again.

3. yes of course.

4. as long as the backboard wasn't struck in attempt to knock the ball off of the ring (very unlikely) you play on.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2016, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj View Post
Some things creating some arguments.

1) A1 jumps to attempt a three-point shot but the ball immediately slips out of his hands and goes backwards and away from the basket. He returns to the floor and takes 2-3 steps to get to the ball where he taps the ball to a teammate. Ruling?

2) A1 jumps to attempt a three-point shot but the ball immediately slips out of his hands and goes backwards and away from the basket. He returns to the floor and takes 2-3 steps to get to the ball where he grabs the ball regaining control. Ruling?

3) A1 jumps and releases the ball on a try. The ball is in the air when A2 shoves B1 and the official blows the whistle. After the whistle is blown the ball goes through the basket. Does the basket count?

4) A1 attempts a try near the basket. In a legitimate attempt to block the shot defender B1 misses the ball and slaps the backboard. As a result of the slap the backboard is moving. The ball goes off the glass, hits the moving rim, and bounces out. Ruling?
Re: 1) and 2) see 4-21 FUMBLE and Case Book 4.44 SITUATION B

Re: 3) see Basketball Rules Fundamentals 2. and Rule 6-7, EXCEPTION a.

Re: 4) see Case Book 10.3.4

These citations may not settle all of the idiosyncrasies your companions may invent in your conversations, but the Rules Book, and Case Book are always a good starting point.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2016, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

No argument on here. I agree with all of the previous responses.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2016, 04:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
No argument on here. I agree with all of the previous responses.
Jurassic would have disagreed and been correct.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2016, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

In #1 and #2: If the player had not dribbled prior to the attempted shot, the player would be allowed to dribble after recovering the fumble.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2016, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

In 1&2 if you deem it a legal shot attempt then legal, otherwise violations on the shooter. An airborne shooter can only do 2 things shoot or pass, short of that or a defender touching the ball it's a violation in my book.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2016, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Re: 1) and 2) see 4-21 FUMBLE and Case Book 4.44 SITUATION B
It's June, and I'm far away from being in "rules mode," but I wouldn't cite 4.44B for 1 and 2. In those plays above the ball is clearly slipping out of the shooter's hands. They are not "trys" under the rules so team control is not lost. 4.44 B allows the player to run and recover a "try", dribble etc because player and team control is lost. That is the basis of that play. So I think it is different than what we see in the OP 1 and 2.

Again, I'm not in rules mode and I know one of the arguments is that when a player jumps to shoot there's language saying he must shoot or pass etc. (he can also call timeout). The play id cite is the one where the player ends his dribble and fumbles it away. He is allowed to go retrieve it. We know that when I end a dribble I'm supposed to pivot, shoot or pass etc.(timeout also). That case play allows the player to go get the ball if it was actually "fumbled." accidental loss of player control.

If the ball slips out of the shooters hands and goes backward---truly a "fumble" ACCIDENTAL why would we not let him go retrieve it? The player who ends the dribble isn't supposed to be able to move the ball to another location on court by himself but we allow it if it was accidental/fumble. Why treat the shooter differently? If it is truly a fumble/accidental. Personally, I'm thinking the ACCIDENTAL nature of the loss of player control is the key not whether the player has ended the dribble or is shooting.

Anyway, this is off top of my head. There may be other plays that i'm not thinking of or interps etc. thx
Old Wed Jun 15, 2016, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
It's June, and I'm far away from being in "rules mode," but I wouldn't cite 4.44B for 1 and 2. In those plays above the ball is clearly slipping out of the shooter's hands. They are not "trys" under the rules so team control is not lost. 4.44 B allows the player to run and recover a "try", dribble etc because player and team control is lost. That is the basis of that play. So I think it is different than what we see in the OP 1 and 2.

Again, I'm not in rules mode and I know one of the arguments is that when a player jumps to shoot there's language saying he must shoot or pass etc. (he can also call timeout). The play id cite is the one where the player ends his dribble and fumbles it away. He is allowed to go retrieve it. We know that when I end a dribble I'm supposed to pivot, shoot or pass etc.(timeout also). That case play allows the player to go get the ball if it was actually "fumbled." accidental loss of player control.

If the ball slips out of the shooters hands and goes backward---truly a "fumble" ACCIDENTAL why would we not let him go retrieve it? The player who ends the dribble isn't supposed to be able to move the ball to another location on court by himself but we allow it if it was accidental/fumble. Why treat the shooter differently? If it is truly a fumble/accidental. Personally, I'm thinking the ACCIDENTAL nature of the loss of player control is the key not whether the player has ended the dribble or is shooting.

Anyway, this is off top of my head. There may be other plays that i'm not thinking of or interps etc. thx
We agree. Your first paragraph, above, and my references, help set the parameters for the discovery of what is directly pertinent, in the discussions/arguments to which the OP alluded. Most of the discussions regarding the topics at hand, involve the different legal/illegal actions after a fumble, as compared to those following an unsuccessful shot attempt.
Some persons may also differentiate between a fumble by an airborne player and a player in contact with the floor, as well as whether a dribble has occurred, before the loss of ball control, for example, whether the fumble by the airborne player should be considered as the start of a/another dribble, when the player is thereafter, first to touch the ball.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2016, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
We agree.
I know. Most of my comments were directed to the issue deecee raised. I'm just not computer literate enough to put quotes from separate people on same reply…...
Old Wed Jun 15, 2016, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I can't completely disagree with your logic, nor would I fault an official for allowing this (BTW if my partner allows this in a game and I am in the same position I would follow his/her lead). However, with that being said and airborne shooter is only "allowed" 2 actions (shoot or pass) otherwise we have a violation.

Since the rulebook treats a player who has gone airborne very differently I do not see why the concept for a player who has not gone airborne and loses the ball "fumble" would apply.

In all honesty at the varsity level or above a player going for a shot isn't just going to lose control as described so I dont really have to worry about this. I may expect this at a lower level of play like middle school or lower.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2016, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I can't completely disagree with your logic, nor would I fault an official for allowing this (BTW if my partner allows this in a game and I am in the same position I would follow his/her lead). However, with that being said and airborne shooter is only "allowed" 2 actions (shoot or pass) otherwise we have a violation.

Since the rulebook treats a player who has gone airborne very differently I do not see why the concept for a player who has not gone airborne and loses the ball "fumble" would apply.

In all honesty at the varsity level or above a player going for a shot isn't just going to lose control as described so I dont really have to worry about this. I may expect this at a lower level of play like middle school or lower.
Obviously a player ending dribble, standing on floor etc is physically different from shooting a basketball. I think that's not the right focus. The player on ground has rules that do not allow him to move the ball from location to another without someone else touching, shooting etc. He's allowed to go from point A to B if he fumbles the ball. Again, why apply it differently? The physical acts are different but both are Accidental/fumble losses of control. When I have time I will search Jurassic posts. RIP Jurassic
Old Wed Jun 15, 2016, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Jurassic would have disagreed and been correct.
All he would have done was belittle the person who disagreed with him rather than do much to support his point...so I wouldn't put much weight into anything he said.

A fumble is an exception to all of the normal rules that limit what a player can do. It isn't integral to the main rules but the rules/cases around fumbles establish that travel rules and such are excepted when a player fumbles.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2016, 04:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj View Post
1) A1 jumps to attempt a three-point shot but the ball immediately slips out of his hands ...
2) A1 jumps to attempt a three-point shot but the ball immediately slips out of his hands ...
Quote:
They are not "trys" under the rules so team control is not lost.
4-41: Shooting, Try, Tap
ART. 1 The act of shooting begins simultaneously with the start of the try
or tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight, and includes the airborne
shooter.
ART. 2 A try for field goal is an attempt by a player to score two or three
points by throwing the ball into a team’s own basket. A player is trying for goal
when the player has the ball and in the official’s judgment is throwing or
attempting to throw for goal. It is not essential that the ball leave the player’s hand
as a foul could prevent release of the ball.
ART. 3 The try starts when the player begins the motion which habitually
precedes the release of the ball.

Are we 100% certain that situation 1 and 2 do not represent trys?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jun 15, 2016 at 04:23pm.