The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 08, 2016, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

ball watching...

Can't blame the coach for getting pissed off here.

Apologize if this has been posted before.

Poor mechanics resulting in an ejection of the coach | OHSAA Basketball Officials
Old Wed Jun 08, 2016, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ighlight=Yikes
Old Mon Jun 13, 2016, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

The only observation I have here is that we don't have any proof the lead was ball watching. More than likely that is the case but you can't see him on the video, but it is possible he thought white just took a dive or something or didn't have a good angle.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2016, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
The only observation I have here is that we don't have any proof the lead was ball watching. More than likely that is the case but you can't see him on the video, but it is possible he thought white just took a dive or something or didn't have a good angle.
There is no bad angle on that play. It should be visible from just about anywhere. There were no players between anywhere the lead might have been and the play. The action was big enough that it should have been visible from any angle. There are only two possibilities....the lead was not watching the matchups in his primary or the lead saw it but clammed up and just didn't call it.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2016, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
This might be a way to tell the L was ball watching: The L is the one who called the technical fouls. When he gets the coach the first time there are four players in the post. If he's watching them there's a good chance he doesn't even notice what the coach is doing. It's not as though the coach sprinted toward the end line to complain to the L about the no-call. She complained to the T...while the ball was in the T's PCA (or, at worst, on the borderline between T and L).

Also, watch the L's head when the ball goes from the post to the wing (0:03 on the clip). His head moves with the ball even though the post players are still engaged in a competitive matchup. Camron's right: either he wasn't watching the post or he watched it and determined it was incidental contact. Either way, IMO, the judgment was off.

The next person to question would be the C because he should have had an open look at the play. When White #21 hit the floor there are nine players on screen. Only two of them are in the C's PCA (White #33 and Blue #13) and while they're within six feet of each other they aren't exactly engaged. I don't think the T would have gotten it because the ball was in his PCA and the BH/D was closely guarded.

One other thing: These girls aren't exactly short so I can't think it was the first time there was post play. I'd be surprised if there hadn't been physical play prior to this. Even if that was the case, you have to be prepared.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Jun 13, 2016, 02:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is the classic tale of ball watching and why it an get you in trouble. All of this helped throw out a coach (probably rightfully so) and questioning the actions of the official in that ejection all because if he had called a foul on someone, this never likely happens. And even if the ejection was warranted, the assignor, conference and state (as they posted the video) now has their opinion on what you did wrong as an official for everyone to see. Call a foul here and no one knows who you are. Now everyone knows who you are and you become a footnote like Rich (Just joking Rich).

Peace
Old Mon Jun 13, 2016, 05:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is the classic tale of ball watching and why it an get you in trouble. All of this helped throw out a coach (probably rightfully so) and questioning the actions of the official in that ejection all because if he had called a foul on someone, this never likely happens. And even if the ejection was warranted, the assignor, conference and state (as they posted the video) now has their opinion on what you did wrong as an official for everyone to see. Call a foul here and no one knows who you are. Now everyone knows who you are and you become a footnote like Rich (Just joking Rich).

Peace
Hey, sometimes you're driving the bus, sometimes it runs over you, is put in reverse, is backed over you, is put into gear, is driven over you,....you get the idea.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2016, 09:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Hey, sometimes you're driving the bus, sometimes it runs over you, is put in reverse, is backed over you, is put into gear, is driven over you,....you get the idea.
Yes I do.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 14, 2016, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think that took longer than 5 seconds for me to read.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2016, 08:35am
NFHS Official

Hopefully the lead was ball watching, there really can't be any other reason for this to be missed. On a side note. I'm not a big fan of giving the "T" right in someone's face. Honestly, the coach didn't do much to deserve the second T in my opinion. The first thing she says is "Are you kidding me". Which is probably a normal reaction for what just happened. Like Jet said, the C should have a real good look at this.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2016, 09:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Hopefully the lead was ball watching, there really can't be any other reason for this to be missed. On a side note. I'm not a big fan of giving the "T" right in someone's face. Honestly, the coach didn't do much to deserve the second T in my opinion. The first thing she says is "Are you kidding me". Which is probably a normal reaction for what just happened. Like Jet said, the C should have a real good look at this.
All I will say is what sparks your sensibilities on a T is not the same as someone else. I likely would not have given a second T at all, but maybe the first one depending on what she had said during and maybe before. Hard to tell IMO totally, but if a foul was called in the first place, then he probably would not have given a foul in the first place. My question is why was he there in the first place as it does not appear he even made a call on the post action.

Peace