The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 07, 2016, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

As an NF ref, I would have killed the play after I'd seen B1 rolling around on the floor on the floor holding his head in obvious pain. The coaches, players, and parents would have no problem with that--especially given the current attention to concussions in sports. The key legal issues for us refs is "liable negligence" in this instance. ROP would be a throw-in for team A (if they had team control) on the endline. Seems like the nba rule (as provided by OP) needs modification. Hey, if the nba is going to be changing the "hack a shaq' rule, then why can't they also just modify this more important one?
Old Tue Jun 07, 2016, 10:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
As an NF ref, I would have killed the play after I'd seen B1 rolling around on the floor on the floor holding his head in obvious pain. The coaches, players, and parents would have no problem with that--especially given the current attention to concussions in sports. The key legal issues for us refs is "liable negligence" in this instance. ROP would be a throw-in for team A (if they had team control) on the endline. Seems like the nba rule (as provided by OP) needs modification. Hey, if the nba is going to be changing the "hack a shaq' rule, then why can't they also just modify this more important one?
All true at our level and even at the NCAA level as this is clearly addressed to handle it this way. But in the pros the situation changes because everyone is being paid. I am sure the rules are also in place because pros do things on purpose and they do not want to stop an obvious play for maybe some faking. Even in our rules we have some leeway if a player is not in danger to continue play. The liability at the NBA level is much different than what happens when we are independent contractors and the officials in the NBA are employees.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 07, 2016, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They don't want people faking an injury to buy a free timeout.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Jun 08, 2016, 08:27am
NFHS Official

Quote:
If the other team was on a break and moving to score I would wait, however the second they weren't trying to score, I am shutting it down.