The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Love's concussion (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101415-loves-concussion.html)

BigT Mon Jun 06, 2016 09:46am

Love's concussion

Any thoughts on why there was no loose ball foul on this contact?

AremRed Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 988230)

Cuz it was unfortunate, but incidental, contact.

deecee Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 988231)

Elbow to the head is NEVER incidental and should always be called (common foul at least).

JRutledge Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 988233)
Elbow to the head is NEVER incidental and should always be called (common foul at least).

I would have to see the play in question, but I totally disagree with this statement. At least at the NCAA level they clearly said you could have elbow contact and not be a foul under a few circumstances. I do not know why all plays with contact with the elbow are fouls.

Peace

Rob1968 Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:55am

On the play in question, it appears to be the opponent's forearm, and not the elbow, that incidentally contacted Love's head.

Welpe Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:02am

Here's the play.

Barnes stuns Love with elbow to the head - ESPN Video

I can see how it can get missed on the floor as the L is looking elsewhere and the C is straightlined. I'm not sure what the NBA guidelines are on this play but I think this is a foul by NFHS standards.

BigCat Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:34am

Quote:

I can see how it is missed as Welpe said…but…if I'm in rebounding position and you fly in and hit me in the head, whether you mean to or not, it's a foul. again, i can see how it was missed because it happened quick etc. But, looking at film, i call that a foul..in grade school, high school, college, and playground…:)

(the players are not in equally favorable positions or whatever the language is…)

JRutledge Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:46am

I see this as a foul, but not because the elbow hit him, but it was appeared to be illegal contact with a legal defender. It matters little that he was hit with an elbow, hand or leg on some level. But that is something many times not called at all levels and only the reaction is why this is even an issue. If he had stayed upright and not fell to the floor, we would not be discussing this play at all.

Peace

BigT Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:48pm

With a chance GSW rebounders could have broken an ankle is it it horrible to stop play and get him out of the game? Seems silly that Love or any rebounders could be hurt why not just stop play here...

BillyMac Mon Jun 06, 2016 03:33pm

Nfhs ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 988239)
I see this as a foul ... illegal contact with a legal defender.

Agree. I can't speak in regard to NBA rules, but in my high school game, if I see this, it's a foul every time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 988241)
... is it it horrible to stop play and get him out of the game?

Again, I can't speak in regard to NBA rules, but in my high school game, I'm stopping play to protect the injured player.

5-8-2-NOTE: When a player is injured as in Art. 2(a), the official may suspend play after the ball
is dead or is in control of the injured player’s team or when the opponents complete a
play. A play is completed when a team loses control (including throwing for goal) or
withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a
scoring position. When necessary to protect an injured player, the official may immediately
suspend play.

JRutledge Mon Jun 06, 2016 04:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 988242)
Agree. I can't speak in regard to NBA rules, but in my high school game, if I see this, it's a foul every time.

My comments have nothing to do with the rules set.

Peace

Raymond Mon Jun 06, 2016 05:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 988230)

Quote:

It should have been a foul and I'm sure the officials would agree after reviewing the video.

I would love to hear how you determined it was "incidental" contact.

APG Mon Jun 06, 2016 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 988241)
With a chance GSW rebounders could have broken an ankle is it it horrible to stop play and get him out of the game? Seems silly that Love or any rebounders could be hurt why not just stop play here...

NBA rules only allow officials to suspend play for a seriously injured player. I'm talking about bone sticking out of leg or player out cold injured. Otherwise, the team will either have to call a timeout or commit a take foul to get their player off the court.

BillyMac Tue Jun 07, 2016 06:27am

Nba ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 988253)
NBA rules only allow officials to suspend play for a seriously injured player. I'm talking about bone sticking out of leg or player out cold injured. Otherwise, the team will either have to call a timeout or commit a take foul to get their player off the court.

Thanks for the NBA rule clarification.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Jun 07, 2016 07:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 988239)
I see this as a foul, but not because the elbow hit him, but it was appeared to be illegal contact with a legal defender. It matters little that he was hit with an elbow, hand or leg on some level. But that is something many times not called at all levels and only the reaction is why this is even an issue. If he had stayed upright and not fell to the floor, we would not be discussing this play at all.

Peace

You beat me to it.

MTD, Sr.