The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 10:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
State has three major assigners that do the majority of everything. They also are the ones who have most say in who gets the big playoff games. If that's how your system works then there's nothing you can do about it, but I think it hurts officials growth(in one aspect of the game, albeit to some not important).

In the playoffs I'd say the most difficult part is getting crews on the same page. Most of the time everything goes smoothly, but there are games where 50% of my effort tries to go into getting the crew on the same page instead of just enjoying what I'm doing. Almost every time, it's because there's an official there that doesn't know how to mold to a crew outside of their buddies they've been officiating with all season. Don't get me wrong, at that level every official is good in their own right, but I want the game to run smoothly. When you start out with Betsy calling dink fouls and Robert letting flagrants go it's irritating.
Same page or your page? There's a difference.
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I work about 80% of my games where one of my partners is the same person.

It's comfortable, sure, but I quite enjoy when I'm paired with people I haven't worked with before or not too often.

I disagree with the whole "pregame will fix it" nonsense, though. You can't take someone who won't blow a whistle and get him to blow it with some magical words 30 minutes before gametime.
You've also been doing this for a very long time and know how to work with people you've never met before. It's an art and some officials put off or never learn how to do it.

I've always found a good pregame to be important. Even if it's to warm people up to each other. I wouldn't call it nonsense. While it obviously won't fix everything, it's always made my officiating experience far more enjoyable. I understand it's not for everyone and don't expect it. For me, it's just part of my game. Half the battle is sizing up your partners and knowing what to talk about. If someone is checked out then I'm clearing doing it wrong.
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Same page or your page? There's a difference.
I see your point - same page. I have a total of zero issues molding to a crew and it tends to be what I do. Especially post season where I usually consider myself the worst of the three officials on the floor.
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 11:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
You've also been doing this for a very long time and know how to work with people you've never met before. It's an art and some officials put off or never learn how to do it.

I've always found a good pregame to be important. Even if it's to warm people up to each other. I wouldn't call it nonsense. While it obviously won't fix everything, it's always made my officiating experience far more enjoyable. I understand it's not for everyone and don't expect it. For me, it's just part of my game. Half the battle is sizing up your partners and knowing what to talk about. If someone is checked out then I'm clearing doing it wrong.
For me, it's still the first few whistles that really tell me what I need to know. But a good pregame doesn't hurt anyone, I'll agree.

I love working with other officials. I wish our system had more individual assignments here and fewer done by crews.
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For me, it's still the first few whistles that really tell me what I need to know. But a good pregame doesn't hurt anyone, I'll agree.

I love working with other officials. I wish our system had more individual assignments here and fewer done by crews.

I'm not sure if this is a vet thing, or maybe I'm just bad at it, but unless it's blatantly obviously I'm not good at picking up those reads. At least not when I'm on the court and can't pay full attention to what they're doing.
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Almost every time, it's because there's an official there that doesn't know how to mold to a crew outside of their buddies they've been officiating with all season. Don't get me wrong, at that level every official is good in their own right, but I want the game to run smoothly. When you start out with Betsy calling dink fouls and Robert letting flagrants go it's irritating.
Exactly. Fixed crews is a recipe for increasing inconsistency from night to night between different crews. When you mix it up, you get a lot better consistency since everyone sees a variety and not just a few officials that call the same way.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Jun 01, 2016 at 11:42am.
Old Tue May 31, 2016, 01:51pm
NFHS Official

I've had the same partner for 10 years now. The only time I call with someone I don't know, or haven't called with before, is in the playoffs.
Old Tue May 31, 2016, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Just call your primary... that is one of the reasons why we switch.