The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 20, 2016, 06:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post

The rules I think need changing are:

1. Goaltending rule, change to college/NBA rule where ball cannot be blocked off the backboard
2. Remove resumption of play procedure, make it a delay of game warning instead
3. Change delay of game warning to college rule where you get two warnings per type of warning
4. Clarify team control during throw-in only applies to fouls, not back court violation

Any others? I volunteer to write up the first three on my list.
1. Doesn't happen enough. And you add one more element to judge. The rule is fine for HS.

2. No problem there.

3. The rule is fine the way it is.

4. Well they already have done this, they just need to make a editorial change. I do not see anyone seeing this as a problem but mostly those that are in places like this (nothing wrong with that BTW).

Peace
Old Fri May 20, 2016, 03:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Yea Rah Rah ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In addition, the Basketball Rules Committee added Rule 1-20 regarding non-playing personnel – such as cheerleaders – on the court during a short time-out. The new rule states that “non-playing personnel shall remain outside of the playing area during a 30-second or less time-out during the game ...”

By formalizing awareness of the standards set for non-playing personnel, game officials are able to direct non-playing personnel to an appropriate place outside the playing court.

“The main reason for this additional rule is to minimize risk for everyone,” Wynns said. “Whether a cheerleader or a photographer, having restrictions will help with the overall safety of those near the playing area.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
1-20 NEW: Non-playing personnel, e.g., spirit participants, media, shall remain outside of the playing area during a 30-second or less time-out during the game. ...

Rationale: Making officials aware of the standards set for the spirit participants allows the official to manage them when they may not be in an appropriate place.
Didn't the old 5-11-5 already cover most of this? Couldn't media/photographers just be added to old 5-11-5?

5-11-5: ... No on court entertainment should occur during this time (30 second timeout).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri May 20, 2016 at 09:02pm.
Old Fri May 20, 2016, 04:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
1. Doesn't happen enough. And you add one more element to judge. The rule is fine for HS.

2. No problem there.

3. The rule is fine the way it is.

4. Well they already have done this, they just need to make a editorial change. I do not see anyone seeing this as a problem but mostly those that are in places like this (nothing wrong with that BTW).

Peace
The problem with 4 is that there's nothing in the book to clarify this. The actual fix is much simpler, but they won't do it. Eventually, as time moves on, people will start enforcing the rule as written rather than as intended, then they'll just change it to the way it's being enforced.
Old Fri May 20, 2016, 07:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The problem with 4 is that there's nothing in the book to clarify this. The actual fix is much simpler, but they won't do it. Eventually, as time moves on, people will start enforcing the rule as written rather than as intended, then they'll just change it to the way it's being enforced.
I agree with you for the most part, I just think that they the conflict is not that deep. I think you have to clear up some things, but it seems like there is no interpretation also that is confusing. Like you said, this is an easy fix.

Peace