The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think this is a major revenue stream for them. I doubt that will happen unless they can sell something else to fill the void.

Also my state already gives out books every other year. So this might be something your state would have to do first.

Peace
As I said, they just have to raise the price of the book by $1-2 to replace what they'd lose by alternating years.
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 11:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
And I'm going to assume the Team control/back court cluster fark is still broken.
If you mean did they address anything with this issue, the answer appears to be no with rules changes. Maybe an editorial change was accomplished. That really is the only way this can be corrected.

Peace
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 11:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
As I said, they just have to raise the price of the book by $1-2 to replace what they'd lose by alternating years.
To not get money for a year might be big from a revenue point of view. Again, without knowing how this fits into their annual budget I cannot honestly say if that is a good choice, but I would think even a small raise might hurt their budget. Also states often appear to pay for these books on some level with their membership to the NF.

I am not disagreeing with you in principle, just stating that might be the roadblock from their point of view. Also my state is not what they call a 100% membership state as they no longer include the officials in their payment or buy into the insurance part of the NF. So my state would have to pay more for the books and they decided not to do that or pass in onto the officials in fees.

Not sure all the details of our current membership status but I am sure that your state could go to a similar model and not have books every year.

Peace
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 03:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From The NFHS Website ...

Basketball Rules Changes - 2016-17
By NFHS on May 19, 2016

1-20 NEW: Non-playing personnel, e.g., spirit participants, media, shall remain outside of the playing area during a 30-second or less time-out during the game.

Non-playing personnel shall stand outside the free throw lane lines extended toward the sidelines throughout the game.

Rationale: Making officials aware of the standards set for the spirit participants allows the official to manage them when they may not be in an appropriate place.

2-12-5: Sound a warning signal to begin the 15 seconds (maximum) permitted for replacing a disqualified or injured player, or for a player directed to leave the game.

Rationale: The amount of time presently given is too long and allows for gamesmanship to be deployed.

3-5-6: Undershirts shall be a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey and shall be hemmed and not have frayed or ragged edges. If the undershirt has sleeves, they shall be the same length. See 3-6 for logo requirements.

Rationale: This would now allow all extra apparel that is worn to have one logo. Last year we simplified the color requirements to be consistent on all sleeves, tights, wristbands and headwear. This would be one more step to assist our officials in simplifying the enforcement of the uniform rules.

Delete 3-5-7: (Compression shorts shall be a single solid color similar to the predominant color of the uniform; the length shall be above the knee. Undergarments shall not extend below the pants/skirt. See 3-6 for logo requirements.)

Rationale: This rule is no longer needed and would simplify the enforcement of the uniform rules for our officials. Compression shorts will be added to rule 3-5-3.

9-1-3h NEW: Players occupying marked free-throw lane line spaces may not enter the free-throw semicircle until the ball touches the ring or until the free throw ends.

Rationale: The addition of this information makes the rule complete and easy to understand.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu May 19, 2016 at 03:38pm.
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 03:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sometimes The NFHS Listens To Us ...

Delete 3-5-7: (Compression shorts shall be a single solid color similar to the predominant color of the uniform; the length shall be above the knee. Undergarments shall not extend below the pants/skirt. See 3-6 for logo requirements.)

Rationale: This rule is no longer needed and would simplify the enforcement of the uniform rules for our officials. Compression shorts will be added to rule 3-5-3.

This was my suggested change. When "color of the pants (shorts)" was changed to "color of the uniform", in regard to compression shorts, a few years ago, with no definition of "uniform", this made the legal color for compression shorts ambiguous, and confusing to enforce.

Now, headbands, wristbands, arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, compression shorts, and tights, shall be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the jersey, and the same color for each item, and all participants.

How do you like the change, Freddy? Are you going to play "paper dolls" with Mugsey and Manute?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu May 19, 2016 at 03:59pm.
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
And I'm going to assume the Team control/back court cluster fark is still broken.
The single most annoying thing to me about rules these days deals with elbows. An elbow in movement is intentional foul...and on and on. Nowhere to be found in high school book. 2012 POE I think. I like to make calls that I can back up with rule book....
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My comments were not about the D'Q interval butt he FT rules. I think you are lumping my comments into someone else's comments.

Peace

Ahh. You quoted issues regarding both, and I thought you were talking about the interval. My mistake, sorry.
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 04:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Silly NFHS Monkeys ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
The single most annoying thing to me about rules these days deals with elbows. An elbow in movement is intentional foul...and on and on. Nowhere to be found in high school book. 2012 POE I think. I like to make calls that I can back up with rule book....
Agree.

2012-13 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

2. Contact above the shoulders. With a continued emphasis on reducing concussions and decreasing excessive contact situations the committee determined that more guidance is needed for penalizing contact above the shoulders.

a. A player shall not swing his/her arm(s) or elbow(s) even without contacting an opponent. Excessive swinging of the elbows occurs when arms and elbows are swung about while using the shoulders as pivots, and the speed of the extended arms and elbows is in excess of the rest of the body as it rotates on the hips or on the pivot foot. Currently it is a violation in Rule 9 Section 13 Article.

b. Examples of illegal contact above the shoulders and resulting penalties.
1. Contact with a stationary elbow may be incidental or a common foul.
2. An elbow in movement but not excessive should be an intentional foul.
3. A moving elbow that is excessive can be either an intentional foul or flagrant personal foul.

Old Thu May 19, 2016, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I would hope no warning horn at all. I always thought the warning horn five seconds in was stupid, and most table personnel had no idea how to handle that anyway. My thinking is that it's the coach's responsibility to know that once he's notified, his 15 seconds is soon to start and when the horn sounds, he better have a sub identified and standing up.
If you don't have a warning horn there's always an opening for a coach to be able to say they didn't know when their time started, etc. The warning horn standardizes everything (i.e., "Coach, you now have 15 seconds and counting.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
1-20 NEW: Non-playing personnel, e.g., spirit participants, media, shall remain outside of the playing area during a 30-second or less time-out during the game.

Non-playing personnel shall stand outside the free throw lane lines extended toward the sidelines throughout the game.
Hopefully the wording is changed on this one since there isn't any such thing as a time-out of less than 30 seconds. How about..."Non-playing personnel, e.g., spirit participants, media, shall remain outside of the playing area at all times except during an intermission or a 60-second time-out."
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 06:53pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
How do you like the change, Freddy? Are you going to play "paper dolls" with Mugsey and Manute?
Forthcoming. Will be easier for us to teach and hopefully easier for the coaches to maintain.
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 07:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Hopefully the wording is changed on this one since there isn't any such thing as a time-out of less than 30 seconds. How about..."Non-playing personnel, e.g., spirit participants, media, shall remain outside of the playing area at all times except during an intermission or a 60-second time-out."
I think this honestly is so that if there is ever a change in the timeout structure or a state uses some form of time-out less than 30 seconds, no one is splitting hairs with "It was not a 30 second time-out." Probably not that big of a deal, but that is why the change was made IMO to that wording. And if they even changed the times of a time-out, they do not have to go back and clarify this position.

Peace
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 07:59pm
This IS My Social Life

Like a Doctor: Lots of Patients

Quote:
I think I'll wait for the new books to come out so I can include whatever unannounced rule changes are thrown at us by surprise. There seem always to be some. Remember the prohibition on "extensions" on headbands last year? That was an unannounced change, amongst others. And who knows what POE's we'll get which again lack an accompanying rule. No sense assuming that these preliminary press releases express all the changes we'll need to adapt to for next season, right?
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think this honestly is so that if there is ever a change in the timeout structure or a state uses some form of time-out less than 30 seconds, no one is splitting hairs with "It was not a 30 second time-out." Probably not that big of a deal, but that is why the change was made IMO to that wording. And if they even changed the times of a time-out, they do not have to go back and clarify this position.

Peace
Agree. I do a lot of policy writing in my day job, and two things you learn when writing manuals and instructions are A) make the language as flexible as possible and B) don't write yourself into a corner.
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 09:36pm
AremRed

I contacted the NFHS office directly a few weeks ago hoping to submit a last-minute rules change proposal. I got passed around quite a bit but finally spoke with a lady named Lori Brown who told me that I had missed the deadline for this year but emailed me the proposal form. Apparently submissions still go through the states but this is the form we are supposed to use.

The rules I think need changing are:

1. Goaltending rule, change to college/NBA rule where ball cannot be blocked off the backboard
2. Remove resumption of play procedure, make it a delay of game warning instead
3. Change delay of game warning to college rule where you get two warnings per type of warning
4. Clarify team control during throw-in only applies to fouls, not back court violation

Any others? I volunteer to write up the first three on my list.
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I contacted the NFHS office directly a few weeks ago hoping to submit a last-minute rules change proposal. I got passed around quite a bit but finally spoke with a lady named Lori Brown who told me that I had missed the deadline for this year but emailed me the proposal form. Apparently submissions still go through the states but this is the form we are supposed to use.

The rules I think need changing are:

1. Goaltending rule, change to college/NBA rule where ball cannot be blocked off the backboard
2. Remove resumption of play procedure, make it a delay of game warning instead
3. Change delay of game warning to college rule where you get two warnings per type of warning
4. Clarify team control during throw-in only applies to fouls, not back court violation

Any others? I volunteer to write up the first three on my list.
#1. Why. It is often harder to judge since no official is looking across the plane of the backboard....on the way up/down is easier when you're looking at it from outside.
#2. OK....no big deal.
#3. Two warnings per type of delay? Might as well delete the delay warnings completely in that case.
#4. Yep.