The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

College Conference Radius

Hello. It's that time of the year, where we pay large sums for the honor of applying for a job.

I was curious to what the driving radius is that y'all use when deciding what camp to attend. I'm going for JUCO and D3. I was wondering if it would be a reach for me to apply for a conference in Pennsylvania. (Region 19 to be specific).

My home base would be Northern Virginia. I'm also aware of one in Maryland, but I figured it'd be cool to see what y'all do.

Also, do you have a different radius for D2 schools?
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post
Hello. It's that time of the year, where we pay large sums for the honor of applying for a job.

I was curious to what the driving radius is that y'all use when deciding what camp to attend. I'm going for JUCO and D3. I was wondering if it would be a reach for me to apply for a conference in Pennsylvania. (Region 19 to be specific).

My home base would be Northern Virginia. I'm also aware of one in Maryland, but I figured it'd be cool to see what y'all do.

I don't care about the location of the camp. What I do care about is the distance and time required to get to each of the schools that are in the conference.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 02:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

I really do not have one honestly. I work NAIA and JUCO for the most part. NAIA pays almost $170 so I will travel a couple of hours to do those games, but most of the time I am within an hour of most games I tend to be assigned. All I know is if I work the conference, I can go anywhere in that conference. Assignors are not dumb and send people 5 hours away on a regular basis or at all.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I really do not have one honestly. I work NAIA and JUCO for the most part. NAIA pays almost $170 so I will travel a couple of hours to do those games, but most of the time I am within an hour of most games I tend to be assigned. All I know is if I work the conference, I can go anywhere in that conference. Assignors are not dumb and send people 5 hours away on a regular basis or at all.
This. I'm way less concerned about the location where the camp is being conducted as opposed to where the schools are in the conference. I recognize it's possible that I could be sent to any school in one of the conferences in which I work, but that's part of being an independent contractor and something I've been willing to accept.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 07:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

A lot of D3 and Juco supervisors are not going to hire people who have to travel too far to work their games. I work for multiple D3 conferences and none of them make me drive more than 3 hours to a game.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Cool. So I guess I can rule those out.

Thanks for the responses.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 09:14pm
If you need me, text me!

I go up to 4 hours (some time caused by traffic woes) for d2 and d3 in the mid-atlantic (about 180 miles). I go anywhere from eastern PA to southern VA from my home on the eastern shore of Maryland. I have found that supervisors are willing to send me as far as I am comfortable. My main conference will not send me to two schools due to distance unless I tell him I am staying closer. I've been to 9 of the 10 schools in my career in that league.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2016, 09:03am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Cool. So I guess I can rule those out.

Thanks for the responses.
I suggest you start out the with the D3 Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) and Maryland JuCo (Region ??). Getting into those conferences will get you exposure to the Pennsylvania supervisors. Also, both of those conferences have a single supervisor for who handles both the women's and the men's assigning. Deciding which side you want to go is something you have to think about.

You also need to latch on to a mentor who is already working college basketball.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Apr 13, 2016 at 09:06am.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2016, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I suggest you start out the with the D3 Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) and Maryland JuCo (Region ??). Getting into those conferences will get you exposure to the Pennsylvania supervisors. Also, both of those conferences have a single supervisor for who handles both the women's and the men's assigning. Deciding which side you want to go is something you have to think about.

You also need to latch on to a mentor who is already working college basketball.
The JUCO conference he should look at it MACBOA. I don't work any games there but I know they cover Maryland JUCO. Here is the website: MACBOA: Mid-Atlantic College Basketball Officials Association
Old Wed Apr 13, 2016, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Yeah I found those camps. I planned to go to those as well. Thanks for the tips.

And thanks to the other guy who said he went on average 180 miles. That answered the other question I had.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2016, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

Don't want to steal BNR's thunder but he is exactly right....I live in this footprint and while they are all good supervisor's and people, it makes no sense for you at this time to try Region 19. That league goes all the way up Newark, NJ and further. If you get a game north of Trenton at 7pm, you must be there by 5:30. Leaving the NOVA area at 1:30. Paying over $30 in tolls. Food and gas..... A four hour drive on a week night. Leave at 9pm. Home at 12:30 ish. Game check is believe is $130 ???? No guarantee that he will keep you at the southern most schools......

Your priorities should be CAC / MD JUCO...then ODAC / CIAA / Landmark / Centennial

1 trip up 95 on a snowy night will cause you to think twice.

Best of luck !!!!!!