The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

NCAAW new signals

The 2016 camp teaching points are out and there are a few of new signals we'll be utilizing on the women's side:

Advancing the ball: While keeping your arm at least shoulder height, point to the 28' mark in the front court.

Chucking the cutter: Make a fist with each hand, place knuckles together with forearms chest high and perpendicular to the floor, and extend forward to show chucking action.

Rebounding foul (staying here): Use stop clock signal for foul and then use both hands with index fingers pointing to the floor.

I've seen (and even used from time to time) the second two signals to better communicate what I'm calling, but not sure how much help if any the "advancing the ball" signal will be. I presume we'll use the "chucking the cutter" signal when reporting to the table (as opposed to a preliminary) and from the wording I suspect the "rebounding foul" will be made as a prelim signal at the spot.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 02:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am not understanding the first one about advancement. Maybe I cannot visualize the action.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

I'd been using something similar to this "advance the ball" signal anyway. Nice that they codified it.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 04:41pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am not understanding the first one about advancement. Maybe I cannot visualize the action.

Peace
Similar to the NBA rule...timeout at certain points allows offensive team to advance the ball to the frontcourt for the throw-in.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2016, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

What I find interesting is that all of those were "unapproved" signals last year, and it has been a POE not to use "unapproved" signals, yet I've seen each of them used to some degree of effectiveness, and now they are approved.

If some (not me, I swear!) had not used them, then we wouldn't know how good they were and wouldn't be using them now.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2016, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What I find interesting is that all of those were "unapproved" signals last year, and it has been a POE not to use "unapproved" signals, yet I've seen each of them used to some degree of effectiveness, and now they are approved.

If some (not me, I swear!) had not used them, then we wouldn't know how good they were and wouldn't be using them now.
*Human creativity is awesome ain't it?!
Thanks to those who "pushed the envelope".
Old Thu Jul 19, 2018, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra View Post
The 2016 camp teaching points are out and there are a few of new signals we'll be utilizing on the women's side:

Advancing the ball: While keeping your arm at least shoulder height, point to the 28' mark in the front court.

Chucking the cutter: Make a fist with each hand, place knuckles together with forearms chest high and perpendicular to the floor, and extend forward to show chucking action.

Rebounding foul (staying here): Use stop clock signal for foul and then use both hands with index fingers pointing to the floor.

I've seen (and even used from time to time) the second two signals to better communicate what I'm calling, but not sure how much help if any the "advancing the ball" signal will be. I presume we'll use the "chucking the cutter" signal when reporting to the table (as opposed to a preliminary) and from the wording I suspect the "rebounding foul" will be made as a prelim signal at the spot.
Staying here also appears in the men's book, but that signal only uses 1 hand. I guess that NCAAM saw the women's officials using it, and thought it was a good idea. I'd agree!
Old Thu Jul 19, 2018, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Staying here also appears in the men's book, but that signal only uses 1 hand. I guess that NCAAM saw the women's officials using it, and thought it was a good idea. I'd agree!
I'm not really sure how either committee decides on which mechanics to add (or subtract). What I do know is these three mechanics from 2016 are pretty deeply ingrained on the women's side now.