The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAAW new signals (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101239-ncaaw-new-signals.html)

SWMOzebra Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:53pm

NCAAW new signals

The 2016 camp teaching points are out and there are a few of new signals we'll be utilizing on the women's side:

Advancing the ball: While keeping your arm at least shoulder height, point to the 28' mark in the front court.

Chucking the cutter: Make a fist with each hand, place knuckles together with forearms chest high and perpendicular to the floor, and extend forward to show chucking action.

Rebounding foul (staying here): Use stop clock signal for foul and then use both hands with index fingers pointing to the floor.

I've seen (and even used from time to time) the second two signals to better communicate what I'm calling, but not sure how much help if any the "advancing the ball" signal will be. I presume we'll use the "chucking the cutter" signal when reporting to the table (as opposed to a preliminary) and from the wording I suspect the "rebounding foul" will be made as a prelim signal at the spot.

JRutledge Tue Apr 12, 2016 02:25pm

I am not understanding the first one about advancement. Maybe I cannot visualize the action.

Peace

mtn335 Tue Apr 12, 2016 02:27pm

I'd been using something similar to this "advance the ball" signal anyway. Nice that they codified it.

rockyroad Tue Apr 12, 2016 04:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 986150)
I am not understanding the first one about advancement. Maybe I cannot visualize the action.

Peace

Similar to the NBA rule...timeout at certain points allows offensive team to advance the ball to the frontcourt for the throw-in.

bob jenkins Wed Apr 13, 2016 07:32am

What I find interesting is that all of those were "unapproved" signals last year, and it has been a POE not to use "unapproved" signals, yet I've seen each of them used to some degree of effectiveness, and now they are approved.

If some (not me, I swear!) had not used them, then we wouldn't know how good they were and wouldn't be using them now.

Kansas Ref Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 986177)
What I find interesting is that all of those were "unapproved" signals last year, and it has been a POE not to use "unapproved" signals, yet I've seen each of them used to some degree of effectiveness, and now they are approved.

If some (not me, I swear!) had not used them, then we wouldn't know how good they were and wouldn't be using them now.

*Human creativity is awesome ain't it?!
Thanks to those who "pushed the envelope".

ilyazhito Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWMOzebra (Post 986146)
The 2016 camp teaching points are out and there are a few of new signals we'll be utilizing on the women's side:

Advancing the ball: While keeping your arm at least shoulder height, point to the 28' mark in the front court.

Chucking the cutter: Make a fist with each hand, place knuckles together with forearms chest high and perpendicular to the floor, and extend forward to show chucking action.

Rebounding foul (staying here): Use stop clock signal for foul and then use both hands with index fingers pointing to the floor.

I've seen (and even used from time to time) the second two signals to better communicate what I'm calling, but not sure how much help if any the "advancing the ball" signal will be. I presume we'll use the "chucking the cutter" signal when reporting to the table (as opposed to a preliminary) and from the wording I suspect the "rebounding foul" will be made as a prelim signal at the spot.

Staying here also appears in the men's book, but that signal only uses 1 hand. I guess that NCAAM saw the women's officials using it, and thought it was a good idea. I'd agree!

SWMOzebra Thu Jul 19, 2018 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1023179)
Staying here also appears in the men's book, but that signal only uses 1 hand. I guess that NCAAM saw the women's officials using it, and thought it was a good idea. I'd agree!

I'm not really sure how either committee decides on which mechanics to add (or subtract). What I do know is these three mechanics from 2016 are pretty deeply ingrained on the women's side now.