The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 04, 2016, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of Bob Scofield, I noticed he was the alternate on Sunday.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Referee24.7 View Post
Not to segway on this thread....
How do you segway on a thread???

Am I missing something or did he mean segue?
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 06:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

Smooth Transition ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 08:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Referee24.7 View Post
Not to segway on this thread, but I'm sure this has been discussed here before, and I'm wondering why any of you think we will get over the "gender" card in the striped world and there will come a day when a woman will be able to work mens' ball on a regular basis and have an opportunity to maybe someday work the tournament, and maybe even a Final Four?
I don't think there's as much of a "gender card" as many think, especially now that there are females working in the NBA and NFL.

But a female official with any talent at all will be working a full college schedule in less than 5 years and will be working at the D1 level in less than 10 (or even earlier). That rarely happens on the men's side. Why would a female official make that choice? Especially when there's a huge thumb on the scale at every level for females in the women's game....
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 08:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

Am I missing something or did he mean segue?
So, random thought -- were Americans always this bad at spelling or are we just noticing it more now that everyone's online?
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
So, random thought -- were Americans always this bad at spelling or are we just noticing it more now that everyone's online?
This wasn't a misspelling, it was a misused word. People have been misusing words in their conversations forever. When you misuse a word on an Internet board like this, 100 people see it. When you misuse it in a conversation, only a few people may notice.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 09:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
This wasn't a misspelling, it was a misused word. People have been misusing words in their conversations forever. When you misuse a word on an Internet board like this, 100 people see it. When you misuse it in a conversation, only a few people may notice.
Tomato, to-mah-to.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
And if a word is a homonym (or close), you can't tell during oral conversation if a person used an incorrect word or not. "Not to Segway..." and "Not to segue..." would sound the same.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And if a word is a homonym (or close), you can't tell during oral conversation if a person used an incorrect word or not. "Not to Segway..." and "Not to segue..." would sound the same.
See...and I would have pronounced it "seg". On the Internet nobody knows I am wrong. In a conversation, people would be wondering what the junk I'm talking about.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Ok, so I'm not missing some new slang. Whew.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

All-female crew in the final

Dee Kantner
Lisa Jones
Beverly Roberts
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 08:46pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
I could have told you that, ain't no dudes getting the final anymore.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 09:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I could have told you that, ain't no dudes getting the final anymore.
You mean....since last year?
Old Wed Apr 06, 2016, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Suprisesd by that

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post

Dee Kantner
Lisa Jones
Beverly Roberts
*I was surprised that the crew was entirely female. Not even one male ref. Which prompted me to wonder--since I had recently been writing about "age, racial, and gender bias" in officiating--why was a male ref not on there?

I have to be very cautious about drawing conclusions because it has been pointed out to me that my analysis of "age, gender, racial bias in the officiating industry" is too "simplistic". Was the evaluative rating of the male refs too low? Was there not a male ref willing to request the game? Were these the three highest rated refs available--which just by sheer probability just happened to be all "female"?
If I were to postulate why there were no male refs in that game, then the most parsimonious explanation would simply be: "the assignor only wanted to use only female refs".
Old Wed Apr 06, 2016, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
*I was surprised that the crew was entirely female. Not even one male ref. Which prompted me to wonder--since I had recently been writing about "age, racial, and gender bias" in officiating--why was a male ref not on there?

I have to be very cautious about drawing conclusions because it has been pointed out to me that my analysis of "age, gender, racial bias in the officiating industry" is too "simplistic". Was the evaluative rating of the male refs too low? Was there not a male ref willing to request the game? Were these the three highest rated refs available--which just by sheer probability just happened to be all "female"?
If I were to postulate why there were no male refs in that game, then the most parsimonious explanation would simply be: "the assignor only wanted to use only female refs".
The pool of officials for the later portions of the tournament is small. One part of the criteria for those assignments is performance in post season and tournament games.
"...a male ref requesting the game..." doesn't happen. (Perhaps blue font would've been appropriate with your statement?)
The goal, on the Women's side, has always been to eventually fill Women's game assignments with women officials.