The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

2nd year official

Greetings all, this has been a good season. I officiated in my first 3 Person game on the U.I.C Flames floor for a Nike Tournament. All my other games were mainly Boys Sophomore. Check me out on YouTube. I've learn to record some games. #Battees whistle work" and "Tonio the ref" I can handle constructive criticism .
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AABATTEE View Post
Greetings all, this has been a good season. I officiated in my first 3 Person game on the U.I.C Flames floor for a Nike Tournament. All my other games were mainly Boys Sophomore. Check me out on YouTube. I've learn to record some games. #Battees whistle work" and "Tonio the ref" I can handle constructive criticism .
perhaps it would be more productive to provide the link and ask for feedback on a specific situation or play? Just a thought....
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
perhaps it would be more productive to provide the link and ask for feedback on a specific situation or play? Just a thought....
This. If I have to watch a game for an official, especially a bad one(sophomore), I better be getting paid for it.

Edit: Blue text and all that.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

I just messaged somebody in regards to how to post a link...lol at getting paid to watch a sophomore game... Its only like 1-2 minute clips.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The stars on your flag should face forward. They make flags for the right sleeve.

You tend to move more "casually" then I would personally prefer. A lot of walking in the clip I watched. When you do move be firmer. Stand up straight…project some authority/confidence.

Cant really say anything about any calls because the camera is on you more than the game.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Have whomever records your game put the camera/recording device on a unipod. That'll prevent the "officiating during an earthquake" look.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Apr 03, 2016, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, I have one now.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2016, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the advice. I hate how I run and my overall look so I'm working on it.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2016, 11:29am
The Whistle of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
This. If I have to watch a game for an official, especially a bad one(sophomore), I better be getting paid for it.

Edit: Blue text and all that.
I'll pay you to not make comments like this... remember we all were at this stage in our careers at some point and hoped a veteran would devote a moment of time to us for the good of the game. It seems you are a bit jaded from your experience. Don't worry AAB, I'll have some critiques for you shortly. It takes a good official to openly ask for feedback on their game, you're on the right path.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2016, 12:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Believe The Children Are Our Future (Whitney Houston, 1985) ...

https://youtu.be/IYzlVDlE72w

Quote:
If I have to watch a game for an official, especially a bad one (sophomore), I better be getting paid for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReffingAce View Post
I'll pay you to not make comments like this... remember we all were at this stage in our careers at some point and hoped a veteran would devote a moment of time to us for the good of the game.
Agree.

For more than thirty years, the way our local rating system worked was that varsity officials had to show up early (before beginning of second period) for the junior varsity game, and junior varsity officials had to stay (until halftime) for the varsity game, with everybody critiquing (and rating) everybody else.

That changed last year with a new rating system based on a team of volunteer (unpaid) trained observers. What also changed was the requirement that that varsity officials had to show up early for the junior varsity game, and junior varsity officials had to stay for the varsity game. There was no longer such a requirement.

Over the past two seasons since the change, almost all of my varsity partners still showed up to observe most of the junior varsity games, offering constructive criticism. Personally, I've been at the tipoff of every junior varsity game that preceded my varsity games offering constructive criticism during junior varsity halftime, and between the junior varsity and varsity games.

On the other hand, I can count on one hand the number of junior varsity officials that stayed for any part of my varsity games this past season, most just walked out the gym doors after their games. This past year, only one stayed past halftime of my game, taking notes in a journal.

There are lots of ways to learn, including, but not limited to, observing, asking questions, and receiving constructive criticism.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 03, 2016 at 09:41pm.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2016, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

haven't had a chance to peruse you vids yet (though it sounds like you've already begun some self-critique of some of your tendencies--i.e., how you run, how you look, etc...) but one thing to keep in mind is:
"you're never as bad a ref as they say you are; you're never as a good a ref as you think you are".
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 12:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReffingAce View Post
I'll pay you to not make comments like this... remember we all were at this stage in our careers at some point and hoped a veteran would devote a moment of time to us for the good of the game. It seems you are a bit jaded from your experience. Don't worry AAB, I'll have some critiques for you shortly. It takes a good official to openly ask for feedback on their game, you're on the right path.
While he may have missed his mark, but he was being sarcastic.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
While he may have missed his mark, but he was being sarcastic.
I tried to be as obvious as possible. I'm a bit sad BillyMac didn't catch on.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I hate how I run and my overall look so I'm working on it.
Hate how you run why? Nothing really wrong with your overall look. Like a lot of new officials awkwardness comes off as looking like you don't want to be there. That'll naturally change and come with time/confidence. I guess while you're running you can make your arms look more athletic, but I'm still not seeing why you'd say you hate it.

My second year officiating someone told me to get ripped. I changed my diet completely and started working out -- a lot. There's good assigners here that say they don't care much about an officials look, but from my experience most assigners do whether they will admit to it or not. My third year I was told I'd break the varsity scene and possibly get a 3A game. I ended up doing 4A and getting post season assignments.

Plenty will disagree, but I'm now biased to believe that getting ripped has a large impact on your schedule. Not to mention all the other positive side effects from working out/not eating crap(Basically everything ).
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 11:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I tried to be as obvious as possible. I'm a bit sad BillyMac didn't catch on.
That one surprised me as well.